Bethel Woods 8-21-09

Discuss the band.

Bethel Woods 8-21-09

Postby billydee » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:34 am

Well hello there all!

We saw the the Poco/Loggins & Messina show last night at Bethel Woods. The weather cleared up about an hour before showtime. Poco stole the show in my opinion although L&M were quite good too.

Richie Furay played with them for about the last 45 minutes of the exactly 60 minute set and Jim Messina walked on to play the set closer (You Better Think Twice) and they smoked it!

For me it was like being in Poco heaven. Had never seen Richie or Jim with them before and the vibe was just amazing.

Damn I hope someone taped it, the sound all over that venue was incredible.
Last edited by billydee on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
billydee

Re: Bethel Woods 8-21-09

Postby TartanSkirt » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:45 am

Well if it was anything like the San Fran show with Richie and Messina, that place had to be rocking. 8-)
Pretending to be a normal person day-to-day is exhausting.
TartanSkirt

Postby RICKOFCIMMERON » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:02 am

As a POCONUT since the beginning (showing my age) and as great as Loggins and Messina were last night, I just don't see how Poco was the opening act with just an hour to play. I know L+M had several hits and apparently were very popular in their day, but POCO has stood the test of time over the past 40 years with great country rock music. I know, popular music and classic great music are not necessarily the same. This is why I usually only go to POCO shows where they are the only act. Otherwise when sharing the stage they have to cut back on the number of songs they play.

Seeing Richie again and Jimmy also..well it doesn't get any better. It allowed Rusty to play more pedel steel. Yet only got an hour of what should have been all night.

I have seen POCO close to 30 times now (as best as I can recall). Would love to get another 30 shows before I make my last ride on the range.

Just my 2 cents worth.
RICKOFCIMMERON

Postby pocoman54 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:22 am

Well, paraphrasing Msup, "We all had our socks blown off, big time!!!" So even though the neregy had us feelin' like kids again, the old bodies take some time to recover.

Let's see

Under The Gun
Rose of Cimmarron
Indian Summer

Richie comes on
I think the song lineup was ...

Call it Love
Pickin' up The Pieces
Just For Me and You
Kind Woman (pedal steel was awesome, I hadn't heard KW with PSG for a long time)
Crazy Love
Heart Of The Night
A Good Feelin' To Know

Jimmy
You Better Think Twice

I have video of from Richie on because my brother had a picture pass for kweevak.com and because of policies by Bethel Woods, he needed to use my camera so I missed the first 3 songs. Not tonight tho, I plan on getting it all.

L&M were equally great. My first L&M Live. I love Jimmy's guitar, it has such a distinctive sound that I first heard on PUTP and Poco. His L&M songs in a Poco setting would have been awesome, back in the day.

Headed to PNC this afternoon for another rockin' time tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pocoin' In Lima, NY
Danny

pocoman54

* Private message
Pocoin' In Lima, NY
Danny
pocoman54

Postby dodgersteve182 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:50 am

Yes seeing Richie with Poco is very special indeed. I first saw them at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood in 1983, then earlier this year at Stagecoach only because of a chance encounter with StudioGirl and Friends at The Hitching Post in Solvang. I really gave up on waiting for Richie's return to Poco and had focused on seeing my other idols from the 60's and 70's before that night.
It was great seeing Messina and Timothy Schmitt return to the Poco lineup as well.
Has anyone ever seen Randy Meisner perform either with Poco or the Eagles? I have always been a fan of Take It To The Limit. (one more time).
dodgersteve182

Postby billydee » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:01 pm

Throughout the L&M set, Jimmy's guitar just plain dominated. We left at the start of Vahevala (last song of their main set) as I'd had what I needed at that point. L&M standouts for me were Be Free and Angry Eyes.

As mentioned previously, Kind Woman was just plain awesome.
billydee

Postby trovoice » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:46 pm

The Bethel show was fantastic, and I don't want to sound negative but the only thing missed were songs by Jack. I know when you are not the headline act your playing time is cut but let's not forget Jack is a very big part of this band. All in all it was a great show and they had the house rockin. Thanks for a great evening.
trovoice

Postby wheland » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:51 pm

trovoice wrote:The Bethel show was fantastic, and I don't want to sound negative but the only thing missed were songs by Jack. I know when you are not the headline act your playing time is cut but let's not forget Jack is a very big part of this band. All in all it was a great show and they had the house rockin. Thanks for a great evening.

It's no big surprise that Jack's songs got cut from the set.

You've got richie and the songs that people expect and the added bonus of Jim with a tune so something had to go.

Come to the show in Woodbridge in October and you'll get a nice helping of Jack's tunes and his voice right up front.

Keep your eye out for any Idlewheel shows as well- or if Poco plays on the bill with Craig Bickhardt - when that happens Jack usually joins Craig for a tune or two.

Dennis
wheland

Postby trovoice » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:58 pm

No complaints, no suprise Dennis...just missed Jack.
trovoice

Postby Dar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:42 pm

sounds great,wish i could have been there
Dar

Return to Poco Discussion