Jones Beach Show-Reviews and More

Discuss the band.

Re: Jones Beach Show-Reviews and More

Postby AlexInRI » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:28 pm

AlexInRI

Postby cimarron » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi Alex,
At least she had on a nice dress...vintage 1970. Rusty liked it. I didn't have the benefit of a video replay for her introduction. She probably didn't know anything about the band and read a bio that had the Pogo story in it and didn't mention Jack or George L. I guess it's all part of being a DJ. I wonder if her station even plays Poco songs. At least the show was good and the rain held off. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Long Island. We don't usually go out there too much traffic. I agree with your description of the area. It does remind me of a military base. Having just returned from Hawaii where all the beaches have free public access, even the resort beaches, and they are right off the road, it did make that area feel a little depressing. The food at the consession stand in the parking lot was horrible! At 5 0'clock they were already out of some items. It was good to see you again. It seems that everytime we see you George G. is with the band. Maybe we can keep up that trend.

Linda
cimarron

Postby AlexInRI » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Linda-if only I could swing a weekend trip to Wildwood in October when George is there. I have too many things going on to make that decision now (that's what comes with having children late in life) and I know it will be sold out by the time I know if I could swing it. Tell George there's a bunch of us pulling for him when you see him.

I know people in the radio business and it isn't WKRP anymore. All the fun has been drained from it by corporate America. Remember the great stations and personalities back in the 60s and even early 70s? Even the great WBCN in boston (who once fired Charles Laquidera for knocking Shell Oil for doing business in South Africa, and then had to re-hire him with back pay after he won his lawsuit, and then they kept him on the air another 12 years until he finally quit to move to Hawaii) is now an all sports radio station. Oh well, we always have NPR.
AlexInRI

Postby hzryb » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:47 pm

<<I know people in the radio business and it isn't WKRP anymore. All the fun has been drained from it by corporate America. Remember the great stations and personalities back in the 60s and even early 70s? Even the great WBCN in boston (who once fired Charles Laquidera for knocking Shell Oil for doing business in South Africa, and then had to re-hire him with back pay after he won his lawsuit, and then they kept him on the air another 12 years until he finally quit to move to Hawaii) is now an all sports radio station. Oh well, we always have NPR.>>

FM radio is not what it once was, that's for sure.

Speaking of NPR, I've mentioned on these boards before, but if you haven't checked it out yet, check out WFUV.org. I live in NY, so I can listen live over the air, but you can stream them anywhere. Longtime legendary FM dj's Dennis Elsas and Pete Fornatele have shows on FUV. You will hear lots of great music, including Poco (mostly on Pete's Mixed Bag show on Saturdays). Dennis plays a lot of Buffalo Springfield; I've heard Magnolia and Cajun Moon lately...it's a great mix of older and newer music, and in my humble opinion, worth joining (starts @ $60 a year). It's the best radio on radio. I cannot listen to commercial FM radio these days.
hzryb

Postby AlexInRI » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 am

Funny you should mention FUV. I listened to that station on the way home all the way back into Connecticut. Awesome. Our NPR station in RI has a terrible signal and it's strictly news and information.
AlexInRI

Postby Gene » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:02 am

The DJlady also said that Poco had been through many incantations... Rusty into witchcraft these days?
Gene

Postby AlexInRI » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:44 am

Gene wrote:The DJlady also said that Poco had been through many incantations... Rusty into witchcraft these days?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlexInRI

Postby AlexInRI » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:24 pm

AlexInRI

Postby MsUp » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 pm

AlexInRI wrote:A Good Feelin To Know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-8mpP5vOcI

AWESOME !
Thank you, Alex, that was yummo !!!!
MsUp