Hobbies

Discuss the band.

Hobbies

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Now that I'm out of work, I need a hobby and I was wondering what folks here did for recreation.

Let's leave out reading and playing music.

I'm kind of interested in pond sail boats but there's only one pond near by and it's a carp pond. I could probably go in the winter but that's about it.

So, anyone?
Last edited by Lonesomedave on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Re: Hobbies

Postby jimmym » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 pm

My days have been very busy for the last 5 years. One of these days soon it will all change. It seems now I do a lot of reading about traveling. My hobbies used to be fishing, I loved fishing of all kinds. I also loved hiking. The first thing I want to do when I have the time is travel route 66 and just really take my time. I would also love to take an Alaskan cruise if I can just hit the lottery!

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby studiogirl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 pm

I don't really have a hobby...unless you consider eating a hobby. Maybe cooking?

But, George (Mr. Studiogirl), who like you can pretty much build or fix anything is a "tinker" and finds seemingly endless pleasure dinking around the garage, building and repairing bicycles. He "rescues" bikes from around town...abandoned, chained to light posts but missing the wheels, etc. He fixes them up, sometimes making one good bike out of the parts from several, and then sells them on Craigslist. Doesn't really pay for his time, but usually covers any parts he has to buy, and the buyers get a good price (most buyers are college students).

I can't count how many motorcycles, scooters, mopeds and bicycles have passed through our garage! Anything with two wheels, though I've noticed he's a lot less interested in motors these days.

He has also dabbled with stained class and other artsy-fartsy stuff...all very cool. I did pottery for a while...both kick wheel and electric. I liked glazing the best...fun to play with color and texture. (And it gave me a lot of stuff to give away!)Image

Remote-controlled anything also sounds like fun to me...boats, vehicles, planes...rockets...you can build all those and then go play with them! Especially two-stage rockets!!!!

I used to love photography, but now in the digital age, film, enlargers, light-sensitive paper, chemicals...have all gone by the wayside. But I would still someday like to have a darkroom and do some large negative, black-and-white stuff.

Two other things I'd like to do, but probably won't unless I move to the country, are keeping bees and having dairy goats. But now we're back to food.... Oh well, at least I'm predictable! ;)
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Jimohara » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Motorcycles and Boating!
Jimohara

Postby DaddyMc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:07 am

studiogirl wrote:I don't really have a hobby...unless you consider eating a hobby. Maybe cooking?

But, George (Mr. Studiogirl), who like you can pretty much build or fix anything is a "tinker" and finds seemingly endless pleasure dinking around the garage, building and repairing bicycles. ;)

Drinking around the garage! Now that sounds like a fun hobby, out in the man cave, glass in hand, world in control....oh....wait....you said "dinking".....nevermind.... ;)

Daddy Mc
DaddyMc

Postby Lonesomedave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 am

DaddyMc wrote:
studiogirl wrote:I don't really have a hobby...unless you consider eating a hobby. Maybe cooking?

But, George (Mr. Studiogirl), who like you can pretty much build or fix anything is a "tinker" and finds seemingly endless pleasure dinking around the garage, building and repairing bicycles. ;)

Drinking around the garage! Now that sounds like a fun hobby, out in the man cave, glass in hand, world in control....oh....wait....you said "dinking".....nevermind.... ;)

Daddy Mc

I figured someone would come up with drinking and one of my retired friends has the hobby of making his own beer. He gives most of it away. He just enjoys trying different combination's.
I do enjoy hiking and there's a nice state park nearby and several just across the state line in Va. I have a good bicycle and love riding but it's too dangerous around here. In Maryland, there were so many great biking trails. I miss that.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby winemaker » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:46 am

Winemaking, about 10 years ago I tried it for the heck of it and found I really enjoyed it. I also bought a JEEP 2 years ago and have found myself spending ever increasing amounts of time out in the garage working on it [of course spending time in the garage involves listening to POCO].
Last edited by winemaker on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wine a Bit You'll Feel Better
winemaker

Postby wheland » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:24 am

Visiting lighthouses volunteering and with lighthouse organizations.

Esther and I have been to over 300 lighthouses mostly since 1999 in much of the US and a number of other countries.

It's fun and you get to meet some grat people and see some beautiful areas .

Dennis
wheland

Postby Dar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 am

music and pets
Dar

Postby Lonesomedave » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:13 pm

wheland wrote:Visiting lighthouses volunteering and with lighthouse organizations.

Esther and I have been to over 300 lighthouses mostly since 1999 in much of the US and a number of other countries.

It's fun and you get to meet some grat people and see some beautiful areas .

Dennis

That's one of the best from the view of an old lightship sailor. They are amazing. We used to service the one at Saint George's Reef and in a storm (You don't wait for pretty weather....) the transfer's got pretty hairy! The Coast Guardsmen who were stationed there loved the duty. My older brother was at the lighthouse at Woods Hole, Mass. years ago.
It's lonely duty but it's very zen like and it changes a person.

I really want to learn to play chess (No, I don't have a clue...) so I might advertise in the paper for someone who will teach a beginner.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Next

Return to Poco Discussion