Hobbies

Discuss the band.

Re: Hobbies

Postby LJH » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Lonesomedave wrote: (No, not that.....) and that's ironing. I taught myself to iron as a boy, before stay pressed stuff and now it's a relaxation sort of thing.

:lol: Can't imagine what you mean by that first remark, LOL!

Gotta love a man who can iron! I actually enjoy it too, and that's a good thing because sewing & piecing quilts require constant ironing.

Have you done any sewing? I ask because some of the most successful and well-known show quilters are men - we're talking serious prize money here; couple years ago Ricky Tims took his prize money from one big show and bought a Harley. If you think about it, part of being a good quilter requires skill with geometry, math and precision construction, all very much 'guy' stuff.
Jorja

"Gittin' old ain't fer sissies."
LJH

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 pm

LJH wrote:
Lonesomedave wrote: (No, not that.....) and that's ironing. I taught myself to iron as a boy, before stay pressed stuff and now it's a relaxation sort of thing.

:lol: Can't imagine what you mean by that first remark, LOL!

Gotta love a man who can iron! I actually enjoy it too, and that's a good thing because sewing & piecing quilts require constant ironing.

Have you done any sewing? I ask because some of the most successful and well-known show quilters are men - we're talking serious prize money here; couple years ago Ricky Tims took his prize money from one big show and bought a Harley. If you think about it, part of being a good quilter requires skill with geometry, math and precision construction, all very much 'guy' stuff.

Most of the sewing I've done has been fairly crude repair. But it's becoming a lost skill among the younger folks. I learned to sew as I learned to iron. So I wouldn't have to go to school in wrinkled and torn clothes.
I just did more ironing and the more I did, the better I became. I stopped briefly when on active duty because the Korean laundry's were cheaper and quicker and those cargo pockets are a bear to iron.
More men iron than people would think. I think there's a book been written about the subject.
I read that the Savoy Hotel irons your daily newspaper and if a man places his shoes for polishing, the laces are ironed as well. I always thought that was classy.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Bogeyfire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Money and age have kind of messed up most of my hobbies.

I used to be a runner, before I got whacked on a motorcycle
I used to scuba dive, before I discovered I don't have any buddies to dive with
I like to brew beer, but hate cleaning up the mess and waiting 2 months
I used to love photography... That's more of a job now
:roll:
I got back into flying model airplanes a couple of years ago... not enough time
Guitar... okay, that one I still do!
I'm also considering getting back into either surfing or sculling.
:mrgreen:
I still have young kids and a very limited budget and limited time. I'm a hobbyist, and look forward to getting my mojo back some day!
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby swandy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm

(Must be getting senile - would have SWORN I posted to this thread earlier.......)

I am only working a few days as a consultant to the business I originally owned. And since we can't mention music or reading, I have gotten more heavily into photography (which I have been in love with for around 45 years or so). I love taking pictures, looking at and playing with them on the computer (never had a dark room at home so digital is great) and joining various forums to discuss it.
And since it is not the cheapest of hobbies (as my wife is very fond of reminding me), I must pray that the company that bought out our business continues to be generous with my consulting agreement so that I can continue to get my "toys".
Steve
swandy

Postby Bogeyfire » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:03 am

swandy wrote:(Must be getting senile - would have SWORN I posted to this thread earlier.......)
... I have gotten more heavily into photography (which I have been in love with for around 45 years or so). I love taking pictures, looking at and playing with them on the computer (never had a dark room at home so digital is great) and joining various forums to discuss it.
...it is not the cheapest of hobbies (as my wife is very fond of reminding me)
Steve

Steve, I hear you! Your argument for your wife should be, pixels are free! Just think how much money you are saving by not buying film, polaroid, chemicals or processing! (Hey, I have a b and w darkroom if you want one!)

Digital is amazing. It has killed my industry and devalued my career to the point that I need to shift my whole business model. But siting around and dinking in Photoshop with some cool images is about as satisfying as it gets.

Now, if I could only talk my commercial clients into not getting better cameras than my own, I might regain some cred!
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby Lonesomedave » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 am

Bogeyfire wrote:Money and age have kind of messed up most of my hobbies.

I used to be a runner, before I got whacked on a motorcycle
I used to scuba dive, before I discovered I don't have any buddies to dive with
I like to brew beer, but hate cleaning up the mess and waiting 2 months
I used to love photography... That's more of a job now
:roll:
I got back into flying model airplanes a couple of years ago... not enough time
Guitar... okay, that one I still do!
I'm also considering getting back into either surfing or sculling.
I still have young kids and a very limited budget and limited time. I'm a hobbyist, and look forward to getting my mojo back some day!

My arthritis has slowed my running which for years was my all consuming passion. But I am getting back to running. Just not as fast or as far.
I'd love to snorkel but we're too far from any decent waters here in the foothills.
I haven't picked up my guitar in months. It's not fun if you have no one to play with. You can't really improve or move on.
I was leaning toward model airplanes but the boats appeal to me a bit more. If I lived in NYC or some city that offered a decent pond, I'd choose that hobby for sure. I'm still going to invest in a moderately priced boat and see if I can scout out a pond or two. There are a lot of farms around here and they all have ponds for cattle, etc. You just have to have some decent boots and respect for bulls......
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby studiogirl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:37 am

Lonesomedave wrote:
My arthritis has slowed my running which for years was my all consuming passion. But I am getting back to running. Just not as fast or as far. Like my water exercise...I still swim but not as I used to; now I do water aerobics (easier!).
I'd love to snorkel but we're too far from any decent waters here in the foothills.Can't say much about that...except, lots of snorkeling here...come visit!
I haven't picked up my guitar in months. Now here I have a strong opinion: take lessons. It guarantees an hour a week of learning and playing. And I sometimes schedule an extra lesson just for playing...no teaching.It's not fun if you have no one to play with. One word: hoedown(s). You can't really improve or move on. You will...hoedown(s) make it possible.
I was leaning toward model airplanes but the boats appeal to me a bit more. If I lived in NYC or some city that offered a decent pond, I'd choose that hobby for sure. I'm still going to invest in a moderately priced boat and see if I can scout out a pond or two. There are a lot of farms around here and they all have ponds for cattle, etc. You just have to have some decent boots and respect for bulls...LOL...
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby mcdtj » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:55 am

Dave, gotta respect the bulls in the NC fields and the water mocassins around the pond.

Here in South Florida, nimrods have been releasing their unwanted pet Burmese pythons into the Everglades, where they are becoming quite the threat to this ecosystem. Thankfully, they are not poisonous.

Although last week, a Comcast employee laying cable in a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale was bitten by a green mamba. These snakes are native to Africa and highly venomous. Police think the snake is an escaped pet. They've been looking for it now for almost a week, and say it may never be found.

I just hope it isn't a pregnant female...
mcdtj

Postby Lonesomedave » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:01 pm

mcdtj wrote:
Although last week, a Comcast employee laying cable in a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale was bitten by a green mamba. These snakes are native to Africa and highly venomous. Police think the snake is an escaped pet. They've been looking for it now for almost a week, and say it may never be found.

I just hope it isn't a pregnant female...

My daughter told me about that incident! My brother used to be the head of animal control in the county next to D.C. and they had a lot of calls about G.I.'s bringing snakes home from the jungles. Most were not poisonous but there were some that were. Reminds me of that book, "Fer-de-Lance". Scary stuff!
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:54 am

Collecting military weapons from both the World Wars.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion