RFB at Short hills 8-24-09

Discuss the band.

RFB at Short hills 8-24-09

Postby wheland » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 am

Unbelievable- simply amazing show.

The Richie Furay Band did a barn burning show last night and I say this even though I listened to much of it from the merch table.

I did get to hear the most amazing live rendition of Crazy Eyes I've ever heard- well truth be told it was the first time I ever heard it live but that doesn't diminish the sound of it. Scott Sellen being the self-deprecating person he is made a comment about the RFB band merely being pretenders trying to do justice to a Poco classic. I was tempted to yell out something to the effect of "You're the great pretenders" but I opted to tell him and Alan that after the show instead.

I also was inside for one of my favorite Richie foray songs- "Believe Me". I love this song no matter which version- the SHF Band, Poco's unfinished version off of The Forgotten Trail or the many times I've heard Richie play it live with the RFB or with only Scott (never put those two words together - they just don't belong together). In fact my favorite version live or studio is the version that Richie & Scott did back in 2003 at the 3 shows in California I went to.

The audience was a mix of people there to support the community event sponsored by the local organization and true fans of Richie's music. The RFB won over many of those who had no idea what they were going to see. the audience was very enthusiastic and very few people left early. We had one woman come up and ask when the show was going to be over because she was in negotiations with her 14 year old daughter to stay later and pick her up later than planned. :-)

I got a chance to talk to many old friends from earlier shows and also met some new friends and had some great conversations about music- and even lighthouses. :-) I even finally got to speak in person with SamDiego (Kenny Weisberg).

Simply put- it was a great time for all involved. Richie and the band took an extended break between sets and mingled around with the people during the break. they did a meet and greet before the show with the VIPs who paid extra for the privilege and then did another meet and greet after the show and were their normal extremely gracious self's throughout.

I'm looking forward to the show in Sellersville on Sunday and I'm just sorry I'm not able to "go on the road with the band" for all 5 of the shows this year. See you on Sunday if you can make the show.

Dennis
wheland

Re: RFB at Short hills 8-24-09

Postby Dar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 am

cool,see ya sunday,cant wait
Dar

Postby CurlyQfromLI » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:54 pm

I know people say it all the time.."it was the best concert ever.."
BUT IT REALLY WAS !!!!
I've been to more concerts in my lifetime than I can count. THIS WAS THE BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN...

First, I paid for VIP seats , with the meet and greet...the BEST $65 I have ever spent !
The meet and greet before the show was not your typical cattle call, go to a table for 60 seconds and more on.

It was more like a "cocktail hour" at a party..people were mingling and talking..each band member was more humble and gracious than the next, posing for pictures and really talking to people...making each one of us feel like a true friend... I am still on cloud 9 from last night,

Then we went to our seats..I was the luckiest person on earth..my seats were literally the front row and center stage.

The music was unbelievable..the sound was great, the connection with the audience was incredible. To hear "Crazy Eyes"...as they say..now I can die in peace.

Scott is such as wonderful musician, as are Aaron and Alan...Jessie's voice is like an angel...she even personally signed something for my 11 year-old daughter, who is in love with her voice.

Richie had a constant smile and his face and TRULY seemed to love what he was doing...I could go on and on and on...I can't describe in words what last night was like..I cried at several points.

Richie and his band are gifted, humble and were VERY MUCH APPRECIATED by the audience last night..my only wish would have been to video tape the entire concert.

Look at the article below..Claudia, Linda and Keith are in one of the pictures from the auction...

http://www.thealternativepress.com/arti ... ?news=5617

Have a wonderful day, friends..I wish my feelings from last night could last forever.
:)

Follow your dreams, it's really all that you can do
Give it your best, and remember that life is what you choose
Follow your dreams, and do what you love to do
CurlyQfromLI

Postby wheland » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:59 pm

I was remiss in not mentioning some of the others I spoke with last night- Claudia, Charlie and his friend Paul, Keith & Linda and their friend (can't remembr his name but he reminds me of Gregg allman :-) ), Tony , Bev, Jon DeLong, Rich from NC, Kenny Weisberg (Samdiego) and of course CurlyQ fron LI.

I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody- I claim old age as the reason.

Dennis
wheland

Postby BLUESDUDE » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:21 pm

I can only hope that tomorrow night in NH we will get a similar show!

Dennis L
BLUESDUDE

Postby wheland » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:35 pm

BLUESDUDE wrote:I can only hope that tomorrow night in NH we will get a similar show!

Dennis L

I'd bet the house on it based on past shows. you let us know, though.

DennisW
wheland

Postby cimarron » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:41 pm

An amazing show in Short Hill last night. The band was on fire, the venue was excellent and all the people involved were gracious, courteous, and happy to have us there. A very long, delightful night of music. We went to the VIP meet and greet where the band mingled with the 60 or so people that were there in a relaxed setting. Richie and the band are just like the Energizer Bunny, they just kept going and going. Two sets with a fairly long intermission. Second set started with Crazy Eyes. At the end of the show Mrs. Stone had us all up and dancing in the aisles..just like the old days!! A fun night.

Looking forward to Friday in Fairfield.

Linda & Keith
cimarron

Postby mikec » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks Dennis, Cant wait for Fri. Hope to see some nuts there.
mikec

Postby MsUp » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 am

I am so happy that The Richie Furay Band started their tour, in my neck of the woods. Their performance, in Short Hills, New Jersey, was nothing less than brilliant. Once again, Richie's awesome talent and that of his band (Scott, Jessie, Aaron & Alan), the warmth, energy, enthusiasm, as well as his personal charm, made for a truly wonderful evening. I must add that the venue was top notch, providing a very organized, comfortable atmosphere, great sound and the pre-show VIP get together, was friendly and inclusive (Richie has a way of making everyone feel so special, because he is just that himself). There was a big local presence, including the Mayor herself and then there were the Richienuts/Poconuts (Linda, Keith, MarkT, Annie, Jamesbn, Charlie & Paul, TonyNYC, severalpeices, Dennis, Jon DeLong, etc.). After that tremendous show, Richie and the band still found the time & energy to sit through a 'meet & greet', chatting with & signing for a line of 'fans & friends' that went out the door.

The RFB did a very nice mix of Buffalo Springfield, POCO, SHF, and solo material, even a couple of devotional tunes (there is so much material, they could have gone on for days).

SET LIST (I think, but could have missed a couple, there was an intermission, and an encore)
On The Way Home
And Settlin' Down
Hurry Up (should change some of the words to: 'I'm smokin'...)
Fallin' In Love
Come On
Heartbeat Of Love
Yes Indeed
Why Baby Why
Go And Say Goodbye
Wake Up My Soul (WOW !)
Sad Memory
Callin' Out Your Name
For Me And You
Crazy Eyes (nothing I could say, could convey how good this was)
Pickin' Up The Pieces
Real Love
Believe Me
OVERFLOW
Clancy medley (including an awesome Do I Have To Come Right Out & Say It)
Satisfied
Kind Woman
You Better Think Twice
A Good Feelin' To Know
When It All Began
Last edited by MsUp on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MsUp

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Got to start by thanking Bev for picking me up and dropping me off at the train so I could see this show in the affluent swamps of Jersey.

No, it wasn't the best concert I've ever seen, but it was-to steal some words from Claudia & Dennis-a brilliant barn burner and I have to say that the RFB has gotten better and tighter with each tour I've been able to catch them play. Richie and Jesse and Scott's harmonies have gotten stronger (the way they hit those high notes in Crazy Eyes and When It All Began was amazing) and a more confident drummer.

But basically, I just love the way Richie paces a concert by playing a majority of fun and fast songs that you have to sing along and bounce in your seats to,the way he interweaves the old and the new songs and I love the banjo and the hoe down feeling it brings and damn he still has that boundless energy that first drew me to Poco at the Shea Stadium Peace Festival.

Highlights for me was the surprising hand clapping opener, On The Way Home, that first medley topped with a complete C'mon that cooked, the joyous Just In Case It Happens and Just For Me And You, Crazy Eyes live especially the banjo and hand clapping and the soaring harmonies, his best love song Believe Me, The Neil Young medley with Scott jamming it to its close, the rousing Wake Up My Soul, a moving Overflow with Jesse and Richie sharing the mic, a boogyified You Better Think Twice and the best Good Feelin' To Know I've heard since Richie left Poco.

The only minor complaint I could come up with-and it took me a few days-was I was hoping for Let's Dance Tonight as the encore instead of When It All Began-not my favorite song by far-although Richie kept his voice to the end as he hit and held all of its high notes.

Now I don't want to get into another argument of which period of Poco is the best, but I have to say that Richie's shows remind me much more of how Poco sounded when I first started to see them. All energy, all joy, all good feelings for close to an hour and 45 minutes.

Good saying hello again to Claudia, Charlie, Linda, Keith, Dennis, Paul and getting to meet Kenny after our trail of emails.
TonyNYC

Next

Return to Poco Discussion