RFB at Short hills 8-24-09

Discuss the band.

Re: RFB at Short hills 8-24-09

Postby cimarron » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Tony,
Just curious.. what would be your perfect show? Was there a show that you went to that met your criteria? What would the perfect set list be?

Linda
cimarron

Postby VA from NY » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:16 pm

YOU GUYS ARE VERY LUCKY!!! What does everyone do that they have the schedules to go to so many shows...
You guys are very lucky!!!!!
I played mega millions...but I did not win...hmmm.....I still have to work...which means I will be limited to which shows I can go to. :(

I love Poco and RFB so much...I need more time and money to enjoy myself...
I need to play lotto and win and RETIRE...then I can go to all of these shows...
You guys are lucky!!!

On the other hand, I am blessed to be able to go to the one or two times a year...I am also blessed to be part of this special Poconut family...
OK..I am alright now...
VA from NY
And maybe if you like, we could be just like old friends that new friends could like
VA from NY

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 pm

cimarron wrote:Hi Tony,
Just curious.. what would be your perfect show? Was there a show that you went to that met your criteria? What would the perfect set list be?

Linda

Hey Linda,

The best and most perfect show I ever saw was Bruce Springsteen on The River Tour, New Year's Eve 1980. He played every song of his I wanted to hear and threw in a few surprises and played for nearly 4 hours.

Richie's show was clearly terrific Monday night too and there was very little I didn't like or felt disappointed about and it was a complete treat to hear Crazy Eyes. And if I could, I'd be in NH tonight to seee hima gain.

Still, I'm not a fan of I'm Satisfied and I don't think When It All Began is a great last song and I do think it's about time he starts playing some different songs for his next tour since I had heard everything he played except Crazy Eyes live pretty recently. It's time to break out Consequently So Long, What A Day and Don't Let It Pass BY and some of his better solo stuff like Getting Through, Over And Over, Stand Your Guard.

And it's not that i didn't love the show Monday. It was way worth the time and money and anytime RFB is in my neighborhood, I will do everything I can to be there.
TonyNYC

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:41 pm

I also think it is easier to put on a perfect concert earlier in a band's career because there is less of a chance that they will disappoint me by not playing the songs I want to hear. They have less songs to choose from and if they play a full concert will probably get to do everything I want to hear.

And if a band has had a long career, they sometimes feel compelled to play the same songs eevry time and the show grows predictable and becomes boring to me.

Also, earli their career they are probably making new music and the set list has less of a chance to be stale.

And in Poco's case, they were so good the first few years I saw them that they established a very high standard and that's what I will always compare their performances to.
TonyNYC

Postby severalpieces » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:51 pm

I don't know where to begin, so I will just ramble...
The thought of seeing Richie and his band at the Short Hills Hilton back when I first heard about it was something I knew I could not miss. So near to where I live and such a beautiful place, I was wondering exactly where this show would take place in and around the hotel.
I signed on in a hurry to get me a VIP tic in order to enjoy a pre-show meet and greet.
Prior to the M&G, I enjoyed a lovely buffet dinner with TonyNYC (thank you for picking up the tab, after a bit of an arm wrestle!).
The M&G was realy quite nice and relaxed. I got to re-meet Linda and Keith and see Claudia again. Hung out with them for a bit until Richie, et al walked in and then it was a lovely mix of folks all mingling and smiling and enjoying the moment.
Talked a bit with Nancy (she looks sooo much like one of sisters and we took a pic together, which I will show my sister some time and say 'hey, didn't we have fun that night and watch her wheels spin as she tries to remember... ha!). Also have a great pic with me and Richie and one with Jesse.
From there, into the ballroom for the show. It was chair seating, plain level. Of course, I had a woman in front of me about 5'10" with big hair ..... so, I spent a lot of time sort of feet on the chair all kneeling (the charley-horses came later after I got home ...OWW!)
The band was AMAZING! Tight, tight, tight!
AND, then CRAZY EYES !!!!!
When I arrived I was there for a bit of the sound check. I had tears then.
However, when they launched into it after the inermission,,,,,
BAM!!!!
It was soulful magic .... a check off of my bucket list >>>>>>>>>>>soooooooo delicious, sweet, magnificant, solid, magical, taking off on wings to the heavens, knocking it out of the park, riding the biggest wave, satisfying the soul, soulfully eslipsing all that I could have ever expected all there! Looking forward to a day where I can see this amazing symphony performed with full strings, ie, violins, cellos, woodwinds, etc.
In other words ....
It was GREAT!
Bev!
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby AlexInRI » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 pm

I must admit I skimmed some of the more detailed posts so there will be some element of surprise on Saturday. The Jones Beach show was what I expected it to be (short and sweet) but having seen so much of them in the past year I can't complain. The venue this Saturday is on the second floor of an ancient mill building (no air conditioning). The seats are old church pews (Richie should feel right at home) and it's a BYOB. That's right, people drag coolers up the stairs and set up housekeeping. There must be an ordinance in Fall River that allows it because they advertise the policy. I'm not much of a drinker but I just might bring a very special bottle of Long Island wine along with me. I hope the show is as good as the one you all saw.
AlexInRI

Postby severalpieces » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:58 pm

Took the RFB pics off ... too blurry !
Bev
severalpieces

Postby severalpieces » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Oh, what the heck!
I like 'em and I hope some of you do, too !
Blurry is as blurry does!!
http://picasaweb.google.com/BevMcgrath/RFB#
Yea and alright,
BEV!

there are a couple more, and I am trying to get them up and here, too!
severalpieces

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion