International Submarine Band

Discuss the band.

International Submarine Band

Postby john44256 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 am

I stumbled upon an almost mint condition vynyl record of SAFE AT HOME by the international submarine band, but have not got a chance to listen and rip it to a CD. Has anybody heard it or have any comments about this album?. I heard it was the first country rock album made.

Thanks
I lost ten points just for being in the right place
at exactly the wrong time.
I looked right at the facts there, but I may as well have
been completely blind.-
Gene Clark
john44256

Re: International Submarine Band

Postby jimmym » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:07 am

I think that was one of Gram Parsons first bands! I think you have a true collectors item there.

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:10 am

It was Gram's band and it's a great album. It has been reissued on cd.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby BKLYNFAN » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:11 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... arine_Band

Here's a link to give you some info. It's a nice collectors item, especially if it's in mint condition.

D
BKLYNFAN

Postby litlfeat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:39 pm

About all I know is that it was Gram's band prior to the Burritto Bros. If I'm not mistaken, some of these are on compilations.

But, on vinyl, you have a rare item indeed!!!!!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby AlexInRI » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:02 pm

I've had the vinyl since the late 70's. Bought it in New York somewhere in the Village. I was shocked to find it and gladly paid a premium price for that rare piece of vinyl. I also have the CD. His version of Luxury Liner is so different than Emmy Lou's. Some interesting music but I think to call it the first country rock album is giving Gram more credit than he deserves. It's closer to pure country than country rock. His vision at the time was pretty unfocused but his songwriting was starting to take shape. Luxury Liner and Blue Eyes are both classic Gram tunes. You're in for a treat when you finally listen to it. An interesting snapshot of where the flawed genius of GP was at the time. Crazy Eyes.
AlexInRI

Postby sunsetkidd » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:30 am

AlexInRI wrote: Luxury Liner and Blue Eyes are both classic Gram tunes. You're in for a treat when you finally listen to it. An interesting snapshot of where the flawed genius of GP was at the time. Crazy Eyes.

Yeah, lots of Gram's earliest stuff was more country than rock, but depending on how you perceive the song, Gram's 'Blue Eyes' is one of those 'could be the very first country rock song' type of songs; one could make a strong argument for it. It came before Poco released PUTP, before he formed the Burritos with Hillman, before Dillard and Clark. Uncle Tupelo did a great version in '93; one of my alltime favorite songs.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby hank » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:40 am

Good stuff, a "must" for every Gram Parsons fan
hank

Return to Poco Discussion