Songs in my Head

Discuss the band.

Songs in my Head

Postby litlfeat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm sure this happens to every music fan, at least I hope so. Otherwise, I am going daft!
I'm in the shower, NOT singing, but this song shows up outta nowhere. Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, "I got a Tiger By the Tail"! Now, no offense, but I never liked Buck or his song. I could not get rid of this.

I can remember once long, long ago when this happened, and I thought I'd lost it. "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, (I got Love in my Tummy)" was stuck for days. Gag me with a snow shovel! Unbelievable.

At least this stuff happens to me. Every now and then some stupid song gets stuck in my head and just won't leave, and I do not like this!! :cry:

Please help me in my therapy and share your own stupid songs...I'd feel much better.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Re: Songs in my Head

Postby jimmym » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:47 pm

It happened to me everytime "I'm so Dizzy" by Tommy Roe came on the radio. I still hate that song.

I was at Disneyland once and got stuck on "It's a small world" the ride....I have not been the same since!!

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby AlexInRI » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 pm

I loved Tiger by the Tail. I've got it in my ipod. Remember when it was a hit and I'd turn up the car radio when it came on. Mostly it reminds me of my father because it was one of the few songs he tolerated me turning the radio up for. He liked it too. Dad was a classical music kind of guy.
AlexInRI

Postby litlfeat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 pm

AlexInRI wrote:I loved Tiger by the Tail. I've got it in my ipod. Remember when it was a hit and I'd turn up the car radio when it came on. Mostly it reminds me of my father because it was one of the few songs he tolerated me turning the radio up for. He liked it too. Dad was a classical music kind of guy.

My folks loved Buck, so I grew up listening to him. I really do appreciate him as an artist, especially his guitarist (I forgot his name). In fact I like Dwight Yoakum, who is a huge Buck fan.

It's just a "where do these songs come from?" kinda thing.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby litlfeat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 pm

jimmym wrote:I was at Disneyland once and got stuck on "It's a small world" the ride....I have not been the same since!!

Have you ever heard Rodney Carrington, the comedian? He does a skit about taking the family to Disneyworld and gettin' stuck on that ride after a loooong day with the kids, sunburnt, tired.....
litlfeat

Postby mcdtj » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I had Traffic's Empty Pages playing non-stop in my head. It finally went away after I played along with it a few times---guess I finally got tired of it.

But AceinOC and I might just bring it out at the Hoedown next spring...
mcdtj

Postby George Lawrence » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Buck Owens and the Beatles were THE main two influences in the early development of Poco's songs. Pickin' up the Pieces is pure Buck Owens.
"How much for the women?" John Belushi in the Blues Brothers
George Lawrence

Postby Muckeetruckee » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Don Rich played guitar for Buck. He died in a motorcycle crash in 74.
Muckeetruckee

Postby jerzeypocofan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:15 pm

A fun song to sing in your head over and over again is ELO's Can't Get It Out Of My Head
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby darrelp » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:35 am

I can relate to this, although I don't necessarily get stuck on one song. There is a never ending soundtrack playing in my head and in the immortal words of Cat Stevens "I con't keep it in, I can't keep it in, I gotta let it out". I just spontaneously break into song sometimes and it can be anything. I was with my bowling league one time, discussing my strategy with my teammate (like such a thing exists) when I picked up my ball and sang "They say don't go on Wolvertine Mountain, if you looking for a wife". An hour later my teammate said, "thanks, butthead, I can't get that song out of my head".

Of course, by then, I was way into another song

I once had my four year old daughter sitting on my lap watching TV, with my foot perpetually tapping, when she looked up at me and asked "Dad, is that the Beach Boys?" I said. "is what the Beach Boys?". She said "the song that's playing in your head".

I replied, "Actually no, sweetie, it's the Animals." She totally understood.

The songs, I have found, can come from the 30's to the current day. There is no rhyme or reason (reminds me of a John Demver song) and I wouldn't change it for anything. My life has a soundtrack.

I saw this thing coming out of the sky
It had one big horn and one big eye....
darrelp

Next

Return to Poco Discussion