Songs in my Head

Discuss the band.

Re: Songs in my Head

Postby woogie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Hey Carolyn, I dont have much trouble getting off to sleep.I read for about 30 minutes and by then got double vision, heavy eyelids LoL.I'm reading about the American civil war at the minute.It's a man thaing.
:lol:
woogie

Postby Straycat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Strategies for Getting a Song “Un-stuck”

Distraction – Earworms like to feed on idle minds. So get busy (mentally). Passive activities, such as watching television, may not work as well as more mentally engaging activities, such as reading.

Replacement – Some people try to “crowd out” or replace an earworm with a different, less annoying song. Warning: the replacement tune can become an earworm itself. So if you try this strategy, choose music that is relatively complex and less familiar.

Completion – Songs can become stuck when we can't remember how they go. Try listening to or singing through a stuck song from beginning to end. Some people report making up a coda or ending to bring a sense of closure to an earworm episode. Something as simple as “shave and a hair cut (pause) two bits!” can signal finality.

Tune Tag – Misery loves company. So why not share the annoyance of an earworm? Some people – including Mark Twain in the story “Punch Brother, Punch” – report that a stuck tune can be dislodged by passing it on to another individual. Tag – you're it!

Other strategies – Walk or exercise to a tempo and rhythm that is different from your earworm. Eat something hot and spicy. (This is actually a distraction strategy.) Visualize the earworm crawling out of your head, moving to the beat of the annoying song he is singing. At the end of the song, he falls out. (Feel free to stomp on him at that point – just to show him who's boss!)

What NOT to do

Try not to worry about when the earworm will stop! Research indicates that worry may
actually exacerbate (prolong) an earworm episode.

Trying “harder” not to think about an earworm may actually make it worse. In many
situations, trying harder usually leads to better results. Not so with thought suppression! Let it go. Like a head cold, an earworm will run its course. You can try to treat it proactively, but in time it will dissipate on its own.
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby studiogirl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:36 pm

woogie wrote:Hey Carolyn, I dont have much trouble getting off to sleep.I read for about 30 minutes and by then got double vision, heavy eyelids LoL.I'm reading about the American civil war at the minute.It's a man thaing.

That's good...that you can fall asleep. I do okay, but it's the middle of the night stuff that makes me crazy. Last night the neighbor's dog barked three times at 2:55. I was just about to drift off again after about 30 minutes and the dang dog barked again! That did it...I did not go back to sleep for well over an hour. I should have turned on the cricket machine!!!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby studiogirl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Straycat wrote:Strategies for Getting a Song “Un-stuck”

I know it's sort of serious...not all a joke, but it does kinda crack me up to think this phenomenon has a name and a treatment!!!

My strategy is to sing it out loud...the sound of my singing voice would cure anything!!!Image
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Lonesomedave » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:12 pm

woogie wrote:Cant say I got any songs in my head lately, I got tinnitus though,every day and man it sux.It's good when I get songs running in my head cos it drowns out the tinnitus.
:) Yeah I'm serious.

SG and I have talked about this before. It's not fun and I was just mowing and sitting here makes my ears ring even more.

There is one song my daughter and my best friend hate and that's "Big Yellow Taxi" by anyone at all and on occasion, I'll call them up and sing enough to get the 'worm started.
I slipped up at work and muttered about hating, "Leave Virgina Alone" and so they have a counter weapon.

Abba is good for getting tunes lodged but that a plus. I'm a big Abba fan.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby litlfeat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:58 pm

I would have never expected this to turn into a dissertation on a "condidtion" and it's "treatment".
Most of the time my earworms are good songs that I like, and when they do get stuck I simply put on that song and poof! Gone.
It's the songs I don't like that are troublesome because I don't own any of 'em. This tends to make the purging more difficult.
After visiting the Fogerty thread, I now have "When Will I Be Loved?" playing in the attic, but at least I own a couple of versions. I think Linda's will do just fine!!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby litlfeat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm thinkin' about turnin' in for the night, and what song just showed up in my empty head? "Just For Me and You"!

Go figure!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby guitarbro » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:56 am

[quote="jimmym"]It happened to me everytime "I'm so Dizzy" by Tommy Roe came on the radio. I still hate that song.

Dang and I was gonna play this song for your birthday party
guitarbro

Postby guitarbro » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:00 am

woogie wrote:Hey Carolyn, I dont have much trouble getting off to sleep.I read for about 30 minutes and by then got double vision, heavy eyelids LoL.I'm reading about the American civil war at the minute.It's a man thaing.

Don't let Duffy know you are reading about the Civil War he will think it's a right Wing conspiracy. sorry could'nt resist
guitarbro

Postby RedDirtRog » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:13 am

Now this little tune has been stuck in my head
ever since tuesday when i went to bed
and this little tune makes me think about you
aint nothing else that a tune oughta do

Over and over and over again..... :D

great song from a much underrated album.
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion