What are you reading on KINDLE?

Discuss the band.

Re: What are you reading on KINDLE?

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:19 am

Just finished reading Here Comes Everybody by James Fearnley,accordion player for the Pogues.By the second page he states he hated Shane MacGowan their lead singer and author of some brilliant pieces of songwriting.They turned Irish music on its ear,being,except for Shane,from England and playing traditional Irish music with punk fury,which in turn, turned Irish purists off.Every page they're either picking him up or putting him down,the Irish Keith Richards,at one point,Joe Strummer from Clash fame,stood in for him for quite awhile because he was too inebriated to stand on stage.Talk about one nut taking another's place! It's just a plain shame when u let alcohol get the best of you and take everybody else down with you in the process,they were GREAT at the height of their musical heyday in the 80's and made some beautiful music together.In an aside,still waiting for Confessions of an irish rebel-Brendan Behan to come in paperback,it's not available on Kindle, Doc,we know you prefer the printed word.
high and dry in n.y.

Postby whofannj » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:31 am

Peter Townshend is reading his biography to me. My free audio book when I got the kindle fire.
I want to change my name to Pocofan61, I just don't know how :(
whofannj

Postby bluelarryblue » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Hey Dr G, you would be pleased to know I carried David McCullough's "Path Between The Seas" *story of Panama Canal) on flight from Nashville to California and back. It's so thick I thought they might charge me for overweight.
It's not that I can't embrace change...hey, look, I'm using a computer right now, right? LOL
bluelarryblue

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:03 am

Just finished reading Bobby Keys "Every night's a Saturday Night" with a forward by Keef.Bobby's been blowin' his sax with the Stones for over 40 yrs. now and has had a very interesting life.A good read,it he pulls you into his story right away, not like a lot of these stories by rock n roll gods. Bobby is a Texas boy and as a kid his grandmother lived down the street from Buddy Holly in Lubbock,and at 12 he was running to get them burgers and fries so he could hang out and listen to them practice.Anybody remember S+N green stamps? He used to steal books of them from Grandma,redeem them in town for cash,and keep the boys fed! Correction,S+H green stamps, remember Mom had them when I was young also.
high and dry in n.y.

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 am

As an addendum to the Bobby Keys story,he played with Delaney and Bonnie in their beginning and George Harrison caught their show,met the band, and wanted to sign them to Apple also.Their first album tanked on Elektra but who knows what would have happened if Apple scooped them up.Quite possibly Poco and them could have been stablemates.Imagine Keys playing the sax solo on In the heart of the Night!Great read,Bobbyplayed with everyone in the beginning from Hollys guitar player Sonny Curtis to Leon Russell and Levon Helm when he first started out,plus too many to mention,ultimately winding up with the Stones who he had originally met in 64' on their first time in America,though he DIDN't play with them till years later.
high and dry in n.y.

Postby MA_nut » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Reading a old fashioned book with pages and everything now. It is Carole King's autobiography. It's a slow start on this one, though.

Mike R.
MA_nut

Postby duffyb » Fri May 03, 2013 5:36 pm

In keeping with Irish themes in anticipation of my trip to Ireland; "A Star Named Henry." Been doing lots of genealogy work and found the town of my ancestors!
duffyb

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Fri May 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Hey Mike R, good for you. I'm also reading a real book (made of paper). New one by Ian McEwan, Sweet Tooth. Also found a brand new copy of Pete Townsend's autobiography at the free book building at the dump.

Dr. G
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Just finished Good Rockin' Tonight, Sun Records and the birth of Rock n Roll by Colin Escott.Elvis,Cash, Perkins and Lewis,they're all in here and plenty of rockin' artists of lesser stature are too. Sam Philips,sly dog that he was also had an ear for talent and his use of slapback echo on those early rockabilly records helped forge a new sound with his miking techniques.Lots of good little tidbits about Elvis and company too! There you go Doc, read some papyrus,now it's on to my Kindle again for Killing Kennedy.......
high and dry in n.y.

Postby bluelarryblue » Sat May 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Speaking of Sam Phillips, etc., if you go to Memphis take the Sun Records tour. See the studio where it all happened. It's brief, but it's incredibly interesting!
bluelarryblue

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion