Poco in Buffalo last night. Well...

Discuss the band.

Poco in Buffalo last night. Well...

Postby duffyb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:20 am

Always great to see the band and I did get to say hi and even bought my new friend GeorgeL a beer before the show, Lol! But the show itself was jinxed from the very beginning with a faulty show system and/or sound tech.

After a their first song (Under the Gun) Rusty asked the sound tech to come on stage to prove to him that they can hear Jack's bass in all the monitors on stage. I don't think it was entirely resolved. A few songs later, the quick pause in "Shake It" was met with low feedback causing Rusty, Jack and Paul to simultaneous look at the sound tech (stage left) and give a 'are you kidding me' look. It was almost comical at that point. The mix was bad all night-very muddy. During Rusty's "Rain Don't Bother Me," his monitors worked fine....but the audio kept cutting out completely for the audience. At that point it did begin raining and the audience began leaving in droves from this outdoor venue, many grumbling about the sound. The band played 'Bad Weather' and 'Heart of the Night and called it a night. The EmCee told the crowd it would be too dangerous for an encore so after 1:15, that was that.

They did a quick meet and greet and I finally got to meet Caroline who...gulp...knew who I was. She is terrific! It was fun hanging out with Mary during the sound check earlier in the day.

Last edited by duffyb on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
duffyb

Re: Poco in Buffalo last night. Well...

Postby MsUp » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Looks like you were the only 'nut' in attendance, duffyb. Sorry you didn't get to hear Poco at their best, although, I'm sure they would have been on top of their game, had the support been there. At least you got to hang out, and visit (I'll bet there was some good music, as well).

sockless Claudia..:D...
Last edited by MsUp on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks for the picture !
MsUp

Postby pocoman54 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Brian good seeing you again. Sorry I didn't get to see you earlier in the day. We were there just as the sound check was ending. It is amazing to me, and I have never run a sound board, that a sound check can sound really good then it goes the other way at show time. Don't they do the sound check to know how the performer wants things set? Levels, whose vocals goes where, no powerful bass in the monitors? Just a question but it sure made the sound engineers look a little inept.

I was standing near the front for a bit with Cindi but soon decide to move back. There was a bunch of folks that were quite obnoxious and inebriated. They were yelling for Poco to play Poco because they were there to hear Poco and not covers. Yikes!!! Up to that point they did UTG, Call It Love, ROC, and Indian Summer. So Cindi and I moved back.

Oh well, last weekend at BW and PNC will provide me great memories because of the people I went with, met, and for the great sound and performance that Poco gave us at two professional venues.

I also talked with Mary and bought a 4x turquoise t-shirt. Mary had on a Poco apron which I told her everyone should should get for Thanksgiving dinner prep!!!
Pocoin' In Lima, NY
Danny
pocoman54

Postby MsUp » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:38 pm

I never noticed Mary wearing a Poco apron, I'm gonna have to get me one for the holidays (not only for early Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, but to wear when I serve meals at the soup kitchen, later in the evening).
MsUp

Postby Dar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:28 pm

me too
Dar

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:12 pm

It seems these frustrations never go away! With the state of technology today, it seems that these perennial bugs could be worked out.
:?
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby duffyb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:00 pm

MsUp wrote:Looks like you were the only 'nut' in attendance, duffyb. Sorry you didn't get to hear Poco at their best, although, I'm sure they would have been on top of their game, had the support been there. At least you got to hang out, and visit (I'll bet there was some good music, as well).

sockless Claudia..:D...

Oh yeah, The music was good and I'm always thrilled to see Poco just one more time....

Were you there?

Here's Mary with the apron.:

Last edited by duffyb on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duffyb

Postby AlexInRI » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:40 pm

So sad that the show was affected by the sound techs. Usually there's someone onstage who is in charge of the monitors. Maybe he was inexperienced with the equipment. I'd be more #@$! at the drunk fans screaming for songs they recognize and ruining it for everyone else. In the past, I've put up with bad mixes a couple of times when I've gone to hear the band because if you get close enough you can hear the music through the amps and the mix is not as much of an issue (except with vocals).
AlexInRI

Postby musicclown » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:07 pm

There were two sound techs at the Poco show. One for the band's monitors and the other at the soundboard in the middle of the venue. I think (don't know) this is a local company that does the outdoor shows in the area. I've seen the sound tech working other gigs. In fact they do the sound at a venue call Art Park and I've never seen or heard a problem at shows I've been to. Dispite all the setbacks it didn't take away from this fan seeing them for the first time.
musicclown

Next

Return to Poco Discussion