Richie Furay Crazy Eyes

Discuss the band.

Richie Furay Crazy Eyes

Postby AlexInRI » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:12 pm

I got this last night at Richie's Show. What a way to start a concert. Great show-but this was the high point. How could it not be? You got to see this in person if you can. Music quality of the video is great, video not so good. I was stuck behind some tables so I had to shoot between shoulders. 10 and one half minutes of amazing music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofbSFqjuaQ
AlexInRI

Re: Richie Furay Crazy Eyes

Postby MsUp » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:33 pm

THANK YOU !
MsUp

Postby wheland » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm not so sure that Crazy Eyes is the best way to start a show. Iloved hearing the song in NJ earlier this week, though.

It is a very difficult song to perform and sometimes it takes a band a couple of songs to get into the rhythm of a show. It seems to me that it would work better in many ways as it did at the show in NJ earlier this week- in the middle of the show.

Just my personal take on it- I'll have a beter idea tonight after the Sellersville show. I'm looking forward to the show- and the opening band Dan May Band with Tom Hampton. I got a chance to catch a set by them earlier this month at the Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA and they put on a great show.

Dennis
wheland

Postby AlexInRI » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Dennis I completely agree. I was tipped off that he was opening the show with it or I wouldn't have been ready to record. My guess is that he's doing it at the start because it takes so much effort and later in the show fatigue might affect how it came off. I think a more upbeat tune might get the not so familiar fans going.
AlexInRI

Postby jonr » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Georgina & I thought that opening with Crazy Eyes was perfect. To us, it was like Derek Jeter leading off a game with a home run. Instant wow!!!! that carried throughout the shows Thursday and Friday nights. Richie had everyone clapping along and you knew from the very first hit of Alan's toms that it was going to be an incredibly special night. Can't wait to hear it again tonight....
jonr

Postby Dar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 pm

sounds great!cant wait to hear it
Dar

Postby AlexInRI » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Jon, I was thinking in terms of the casual fan. Most of the people there last night had heard of Poco but they were there because it's their place to go to hear music. One guy even called out for Richie to play Bad Weather (Richie ignored or didn't hear it). Their familiarity with the music is different than ours. If you find out what goes into the decision to lead off with Crazy Eyes it would be interesting to know.
AlexInRI

Postby Bonnie » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:39 pm

WOW! (That's all I can say)

I am going to see him tonight at Sellersville. I should be getting ready right now. I feel like I'm cheating, watching the video ahead of time. I have been looking forward to hearing it ever since Richie started talking about putting it in their live set. It is awesome! Thanks for recording and posting it, Alex!
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby TonyNYC » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Saw him open the second set in Jersey with Crazy Eyes and I agree with Dennis that it was the perfect place for it. I also thought closing the first set with it would have been just as perfect.
TonyNYC

Postby mikec » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks Alex, I saw Richie and his band the night before. I like that he opened with Crazy Eyes. It left out the guess work on if the band would do it or not. I thought the show would be two sets but they just kept playing and playing. Great show and I also really enjoyed Jess and the rest of the band.
mikec

Next

Return to Poco Discussion