Escape to Santa Barbara...Southern California fires...again

Discuss the band.

Escape to Santa Barbara...Southern California fires...again

Postby studiogirl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:41 pm

I've been trying to ignore the 8,000 (not 800) pound gorilla...but it's not possible. The fires are raging, people and property are threatened and being destroyed. And the air quality is horrible. I am about 100 miles from the nearest fire, and there is a little ash in the air here. Not bad though. And I am planning on going Boogey boarding this afternoon (if I can wiggle into my wetsuit).

:arrow: Any Poconuts in the L.A. basin/Valley/inland empire who need/want to get away, you're welcome to come here. It's pretty safe -- there's nothing left to burn in Santa Barbara.

:arrow: Seriously, pack up your dogs/cats...kids if you've got 'em...and come to Santa Barbara. Send me an email and we'll make arrangements. I can accommodate several people. And pets...though the yard is not fenced.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Re: Escape to Santa Barbara...Southern California fires...again

Postby Dar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:20 pm

this is awful,prayers for all to be safe,be careful,i worry so
Dar

Postby RedRiverPatrol » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Been watching the news and it just don't look too good. Stay safe, everyone.

Our Monsoon has been a nonsoon this year. We are 2 1/2 inches down YTD and that is about half of what we should have gotten so far this year. If we don't get something soon we may not see any real rain again until December.
Dave

Its not the bridges burned that bother me, but the ones that I never crossed. - Look At Me Look At You - Terry Kirkman
RedRiverPatrol

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:42 pm

RedRiverPatrol wrote:If we don't get something soon we may not see any real rain again until December.

You mean it rains in Arizona???
:roll:
I spent the afternoon yesterday with a veteran firefighter at his house taking a dip in his new pool. He says if given the option, he will gladly volunteer to be the one who stays in the station house and let the young guys go battle the blazes!

We talked about how there have always been fires in CA, but over the past few years, its been crazy!

Carolyn, the water is warm. You don't need no stinkin' wetsuit! Actually, as I recall in Santa Barbara there are a few beaches where you don't need any suit at all.
:mrgreen:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby cimarron » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Prayers sent your way Carolyn and George. hope you are safe.

Linda & Keith
cimarron

Postby studiogirl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Bogeyfire wrote:Carolyn, the water is warm. You don't need no stinkin' wetsuit! Actually, as I recall in Santa Barbara there are a few beaches where you don't need any suit at all.
:mrgreen:

Two things: (1) the water is pretty warm and I don't need a wetsuit but I can stay out longer AND (and this is a BIG plus) I need to put sunscreen only on my face and neck...not my whole body!!! (2) I have carefully avoided those "special" beaches because I hate seeing naked people in public...just a little TMI for me!! :roll:

Linda and Keith...thanks. As of this writing, we are farther than 100 miles from any active fire (thank goodness!) but several Poconuts are within the ashfall and smoky areas if not actually close to the flames...off the top of my head: Russpi, Guitarbro, SantaFe, DrMojave, ScarecrowTR.

I can see the haze of smoke to the southeast. Today is not as hazy as yesterday in Santa Barbara. Winds have been quieter in the fire area, which is good and bad (good because the flames move slower, bad because the smoke doesn't clear out...hard to see on the ground and in the air). The temps here today are cooler than yesterday as well.

Again, anyone who needs or wants to get away from the heat and smoke, you are welcome to hang out here....

BTW...the water was wonderful and though the waves were not as good as yesterday's they were still fun -- a couple of four-footers came through. I've got assorted wetsuits, bathing suits, Boogey boards, surf boards, canvas surf mats...the works.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby mcdtj » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Wish I could ship some water to California from S. Florida. We're saturated from strong thunderstorms the last five afternoons/early evenings (including right now.)
mcdtj

Postby russpi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm about 6 miles from the Station Fire, which at this point is running from Tujunga Canyon to Pasadena to near Acton, pretty dang big. It was extremely smokey this morning, maybe a quarter mile visibility, tops. That's all blown away now, I can see flames from the balcony. I've been watching the fire and the water drops off and on all day. No danger here, but I'm praying for the firefighters and the people in the path of the fire.
russpi

Postby studiogirl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:57 pm

russpi wrote:I'm about 6 miles from the Station Fire, which at this point is running from Tujunga Canyon to Pasadena to near Acton, pretty dang big. It was extremely smokey this morning, maybe a quarter mile visibility, tops. That's all blown away now, I can see flames from the balcony. I've been watching the fire and the water drops off and on all day.

It's a daunting experience, no doubt about that.

russpi wrote: No danger here, but I'm praying for the firefighters and the people in the path of the fire.

As are all of us.

Glad you are okay. It has cooled off here and haze has thinned out. I can see the outline of Santa Cruz Island. C'mon over if you need some air.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby aceinoc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:34 pm

carolyn,

you are the BOMB! what a mess though...fires are just plaing scary...can see the smoke in the distance from casa de serenity...thanks for the offer. buster and sarah are not ready for the road trip yet but you are at the top of the list now! be safe all you poconuts...
'I don't know where we are going, but I'm on my way.'
aceinoc

Next

Return to Poco Discussion