9/9/09

Discuss the band.

Re: 9/9/09

Postby svin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:47 pm

OK...I've got them...
I've listened to selected songs.
My first impression is that it's like looking at an image through frosted glass, then seeing the image with the naked eye.
The difference is that marked. It's more than I expected.
Kudos to those who worked on this project...they have reason to be proud of their work.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Postby jerzeypocofan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:58 pm

I think I'll start off with the White Album tomorrow 8-)
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby guitarbro » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 pm

CurlyQfromLI wrote:
bassman wrote:Abby Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul and first on my list. Still waiting to hear if they are also be re released on vinyl. Any one getting the Beatles Rock Band?

I plan on getting the Beatles Rock Band..as I said in another thread, I havent attempted any instruments on my kids Wii system...I will definitely try playing something with this set.

WalMart on LI will start selling at midnight..they already have it in the back of the store..only 5 sets though. yet they couldnt tell me how much it cost.

Same thing happened at a Blockbuster by me..they were taking deposits but could not tell you what the final selling price is...strange

Does anyone know if you can purchase the bass guitar that's a replica of Paul's?
Annie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock band is from what I read $299.00 and the guitars are seperate. All guitars are available at a nice price I am sure.
guitarbro

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm only interested in the mono versions and as I've already the Capital releases of the American versions all I really want is Revolver and the mono Sgt. Pepper but I can't seem to find that the mono versions will be released individually and I don't want to buy the complete mono box set. We'll see.
As to the Rolling Stone article, there is nothing new to learn unless the first time Beatles fan needs some background in the later period of the band but nothing we old folks didn't already know. But it is a well written article by Mikal Gilmore, brother of Gary Gilmore (yes, that Gary Gilmore). Mikal is a fine writer and has written a great book Stories Done: Writings On The 1960s and It's Discontents if anyone is interested.

The Doctor
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby wheland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:32 pm

DrMichaelGalvin wrote:I'm only interested in the mono versions and as I've already the Capital releases of the American versions all I really want is Revolver and the mono Sgt. Pepper but I can't seem to find that the mono versions will be released individually and I don't want to buy the complete mono box set. We'll see.
As to the Rolling Stone article, there is nothing new to learn unless the first time Beatles fan needs some background in the later period of the band but nothing we old folks didn't already know. But it is a well written article by Mikal Gilmore, brother of Gary Gilmore (yes, that Gary Gilmore). Mikal is a fine writer and has written a great book Stories Done: Writings On The 1960s and It's Discontents if anyone is interested.

The Doctor

The mono cds are only being released as a boxset and it is being releaed in a very limited number - I've seen the number as 13000 and 130000 in various sources.

It is also stated taht there will be no further pressings of the mono boxset and no planned release ever of the individual mono cds- of course that is subject to change.

Dennis
wheland

Postby russpi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:43 pm

"The mono cds are only being released as a boxset and it is being releaed in a very limited number - I've seen the number as 13000 and 130000 in various sources.

It is also stated taht there will be no further pressings of the mono boxset and no planned release ever of the individual mono cds- of course that is subject to change."

Gosh, that's not encouraging bootlegging at all, is it? The good thing is that these will be torrented within seconds of their release.
russpi

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:53 am

Well, I'd take a bootleg copy of the mono Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. I already have the mono Capital releases but I'm not shelling out $249. for the mono box for those two cds.
Thanks for the info Dennis.

Professor G.
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby hzryb » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:21 pm

I didn't run out and buy these discs just yet ($250 doesn't grow on trees!!)

BUT,
I am listening to WFUV all day today and they are playing all Beatles today in honor of the release.What I've heard so far is better sonic quality. Bear in mind that I'm listening to a stream on the computer, and I don't know if it's my mind telling me that they sound better thru all the pre-release hype or if they actually do sound better.

I do know that I heard the Abbey Road suite earlier, and I cranked my speakers to 11, and it sounded great. I thought I heard some real definition in the drums in The End and I heard the piano and bass parts more distinctively than I remember on CD.
hzryb

Postby svin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Believe your ears...I listened to a playlist I put together last night, and there is a big difference in the sound.
As i said before, it's like looking at an object with the naked eye after you have only seen it through frosted glass before.
Remember, these are remasters, not remixes. Big difference between the two.
I was listening to MP3's at 192k last night, and I just bet the CD's are even better than those.
I plan to get the stereo box, and I can't wait to hear the CD's.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion