The Outlaw Trail

Discuss the band.

The Outlaw Trail

Postby Straycat » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Just wondering if any of you have seen this DVD, and who played on Rose of Cimarron?:

Review: THE OUTLAW TRAIL
by John T. Davis - Austin Chronicle
History and music arrived at a crossroads on the Paramount Theatre stage Wednesday night with the presentation of "The Outlaw Trail," an ensemble country/rock concert that was being filmed for broadcast (first on the HDNet channel, later on PBS and still later available on home video) at the historic downtown venue.

Taking their cue from the historic Outlaw Trail - the chain of byways and hideouts that chased the Continental Divide from Montana to Mexico in the 19th century - the show's producers assembled a cast whose music, they thought, embodied the same rebellious spirit as the renegades, gunslingers and lawmen who made the West so wild.

That conceit proved elastic enough to include a diverse host of musical talent that ranged from stalwarts of the Austin and Nashville scenes to some up-and-comers and a few genuinely left-of-center choices.

Thus, concert-goers were treated to juxtapositions like hometown Latino rockers Del Castillo sharing the stage with "Nashville Star" winner Buddy Jewell, cowboy poet Waddie Mitchell, Muzik Mafia rapper Cowboy Troy and Mavericks heartthrob Raul Malo.

Joe Ely, Rodney Crowell, Asleep at the Wheel, Ray Wylie Hubbard and Jessi Colter lent a shot of gravitas from the original "outlaw" musical heyday of a quarter-century ago, and younger performers like fiddler Megan Mullins and Holly Williams (Hank's granddaughter) dovetailed well with a house band of all-star Austin players helmed by veteran drummer (Eric Clapton, Bob Seger) and musical director Jamie Oldaker. Utilizing Western-themed songs by Bob Dylan, Poco, the Eagles, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Marty Robbins, and laced with original material, the three-hour performance traced an emotional arc from the high-flying hubris of pistoleros riding a wide-open range ("Wanted Man," "Big Iron," "Rose of Cimarron") to the elegiac ballads that evoked the closing of the frontier ("Pancho and Lefty," "Desperados Waiting For A Train," "Slow-Movin' Outlaw").

The performances were exemplary as a rule, and there were a handful of genuinely thrilling moments: Joe Ely's "Me and Billy the Kid," jump-started the crowd early on; Raul Malo's two diverse turns (on Marty Robbins' "El Paso" and that soundtrack-'o-the-70s rocker "Bad Company") elicited cheers ("Don't put me on after Raul!" pleaded Suzy Bogguss); Lee Roy Parnell downright lit up the joint with a fiery, slide guitar-laced rocker about crossing the river to Mexico; Jessi Colter made two quietly moving appearances at center stage and Asleep At the Wheel's Ray Benson (with a distaff chorus that included Colter, Williams, Bogguss and Carlene Carter) even made the old warhorse "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" seem fresh and moving.

Here's the only YouTube I could find, but it features 2 of my favorite singers- Suzy Bogguss and the great Russell Smith from the Rhythm Aces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHJ9TD1mjU
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Re: The Outlaw Trail

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Straycat wrote:Here's the only YouTube I could find, but it features 2 of my favorite singers- Suzy Bogguss and the great Russell Smith from the Rhythm Aces.

Groovy! Hey Straycat, I found more. Just go to the guy's page you posted and he has several more. My poor old computer can't seem to play a lot of the YouTube videos anymore. Its getting too slow. It keeps stuttering. But Here is "Rose of Cimarron" from that show:

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnbohling ... SLJp6Z2uMA
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby sunsetkidd » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 am

Bogeyfire wrote:
Straycat wrote:Here's the only YouTube I could find, but it features 2 of my favorite singers- Suzy Bogguss and the great Russell Smith from the Rhythm Aces.

Groovy! Hey Straycat, I found more. Just go to the guy's page you posted and he has several more. My poor old computer can't seem to play a lot of the YouTube videos anymore. Its getting too slow. It keeps stuttering. But Here is "Rose of Cimarron" from that show:

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnbohling ... SLJp6Z2uMA

Wow; cool to see that, Bogey
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby Straycat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks Bogey!
Some nice pickin' on this version, though I sure favor Poco's vocals.

Nice to see the song get some airplay on PBS...
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby aceinoc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 pm

straycat,

thanks for sharing this...i need to get the DVD...and this is why i like this board so much...you share...i learn...poconuts rock... :D
'I don't know where we are going, but I'm on my way.'
aceinoc

Return to Poco Discussion