(New) Releases From Old Friends

Discuss the band.

(New) Releases From Old Friends

Postby poordoug » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Here's some interesting news from an email I received from a newsletter from Village Records regarding September music releases. The following four entries are direct quotes from the newsletter. I'll be sure and add these to my collection!

STEPHEN STILLS & MANASSAS - THE MANASSAS PIECES

Although his voice is shot and the creative well has been dry for ages there was a time when Stills was “the man” when it came to music. This album of Manassas outtakes is from that time. All of these selections were recorded for their two studio albums but not included on either. Some are classic country covers while others are originals that are being heard for the first time as well as some early versions of songs used elsewhere over the years. All selections however are first rate and prove that he truly had the touch from the mid sixties to the mid seventies. Note to label: if there is anymore of this in the vaults please share.
Rhino $13.99

DAN FOGELBERG - LOVE IN TIME

Being a Fogelberg fan never earned me much street cred with my gear head buddies. However, while they were home polishing their wheels on Friday evenings I was out with girls. With many years now gone by, and him now also gone, my Friday nights are now spent chasing my grand kid around the house. Such is the wheel of life. Fogelberg lost his battle with cancer a couple of years ago but in those final years he recorded this unreleased album. It’s a melancholy meditation on love and life through the eyes of one who knew his was coming full circle. At its core, it’s a mature recording, but it also evokes a simpler time of days gone by and loves lost and realized. In the end this album is another sobering reminder that it’s the journey and not the destination.
Full Moon Records $12.99

NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND - SPEED OF LIFE

When you stop to really reflect on the roots of the alt-country scene you could certainly make the argument that it started with this band back in the late sixties. Born out of the ashes of the jug bands and the revivalists of the era they found their sound and discovered that they could use country as a base to make wonderful music for over forty years. I’m going to go out on a limb here and declare this is the best album they’ve done in decades. It’s not the second coming of “Uncle Charley,” but it certainly is reminiscent of “All The Good Times” and “Dream” in it’s mix of styles and execution. Some really powerful originals and covers make this a rich listening experience. It’s probably time they get their due for the pioneers they’ve been and this album will certainly return them to the spotlight. Settle in with some old friends tonight.
Sugar Hill $14.99

JOHN MAYALL - TOUGH

Although I dearly love the place, if you visit New York enough times you’re bound to witness a crime. During my visit there in July for the first time I witnessed one that I still can’t shake. While visiting the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame annex in Soho I discovered that John Mayall needs a ticket to get in the building just like me. Sad but true. We’re left to wonder just what is missing from this guy’s resume with regard to music and his place as an innovator, mentor, performer, mover and shaker etc. that makes him ineligible for induction. Maybe this album will do the trick. It is according to my notes his fifty-seventh album in his forty-five year career. At seventy-five he’s still setting the pace. This album features a brand new band of up and comers from Texas and Chicago that he’s been working with.
Eagle Rock Entertainment $13.99

John Mayall’s CD releases on Sep 15th, Stills/Manassas, Fogelgberg and Nitty Gritty on the 22nd,
Just another poo-flingin' day in the jungle!
poordoug

Re: (New) Releases From Old Friends

Postby sunsetkidd » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:21 pm

Great read, thanks. Definitely some albums to look forward to.

Loved the part on John Mayall and the 'crime' the author witnessed, in Mayall having to pay to get into the R&R Hall of Fame annex.

Also, that quote from the Fogelberg summary, 'It's the journey, not the destination'. Worth contemplating for a few minutes. Or hours.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby mcdtj » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:28 pm

There were comments on the Manassas release in an earlier thread. I thought the first Manassas album was among Stills' best work. It'll be interesting to see how that album's rejected tracks stack up to some of his other tunes and covers.
mcdtj

Postby litlfeat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:02 pm

poordoug wrote:NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND - SPEED OF LIFE

When you stop to really reflect on the roots of the alt-country scene you could certainly make the argument that it started with this band back in the late sixties. Born out of the ashes of the jug bands and the revivalists of the era they found their sound and discovered that they could use country as a base to make wonderful music for over forty years. I’m going to go out on a limb here and declare this is the best album they’ve done in decades. It’s not the second coming of “Uncle Charley,” but it certainly is reminiscent of “All The Good Times” and “Dream” in it’s mix of styles and execution. Some really powerful originals and covers make this a rich listening experience. It’s probably time they get their due for the pioneers they’ve been and this album will certainly return them to the spotlight. Settle in with some old friends tonight.

An overlooked American treasure, in my usual humble-yet-strong opinion. I thought Dream was their best, Charlie a close second. If this sounds like either, I'm buyin'!
Thanks for the news!!!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby Dr Chrisman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:26 pm

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album is available on their site before it is released for distribution. My copy came in just a couple of days. It is an excellent album which returns to some old bluegrass roots but still has some rock, country and cajun. I highly recommend buying a copy. It has not left my truck CD player since it arrived.

I am looking forward to Dan Fogelberg's final work. I am waiting for the CD to be released (the album is already available if you want to download it).
Dr Chrisman

Postby russpi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 pm

I'm realllly looking forward to the Manassas release, I still think that first Manassas album is the best thing Stills ever did, including CSN and or Y.
russpi

Postby Straycat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm

poordoug wrote:
DAN FOGELBERG - LOVE IN TIME

Thanks Doug!

Here's Dan covering Neil Young's "Birds" from the new album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Zb4tE6aCc
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Return to Poco Discussion