Furay and Cotton--South Orange PAC June 16, 2013

Discuss the band.

Furay and Cotton--South Orange PAC June 16, 2013

Postby Palestra Jon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:41 am

I went back in time 40 years last night, in what was billed as a tribute concert for the legendary DJ Pete Fornatale of WNEW-FM, a tremendous supporter of POCO. While the computer hookup for the tribute film failed, the concert did not. It was stunningly good. Paul came out solo, looking a bit uncomfortable in that role (he said later it was the first time he ever performed as a solo without a band), but was in good voice as he sang 5 songs including Barbdos, Indian Summer and Please Wait for Me before Richie came out and sang harmony to Bad Weather, which was awesome. Then, after a 20 minute break, Richie came out with his band, which is amazingly tight. Richie's voice was incredible---aside from struggling a tiny bit on the very highest of the register (for which his daughter Jessie Lynch helped out), he hit every note all night. And what a night it was. Aside from 3 solo songs, including one Christian number (which, really rocked, by the way), it was a night to remember. Starting out with two SHF Band songs (Fallin' in Love and Believe Me), he went all Poco (well, On the Way Home and Kind Woman are Springfield, although Neil Young might not agree). In as good order as I can remember, Anyway Bye Bye, C'mon, Kind Woman, A Man Like Me, an unbelievably good live version of all 9 minutes of Crazy Eyes, and On the Way Home before he brought Paul out for the rest of the show. Paul led the band in Heart of the Night, then Richie sang Good Feelin' to Know and Just for Me and You. I probably have missed one or two, but this was just like seeing POCO right after Crazy Eyes with Furay, which of course, none of us did since he went off to do SHF Band. Tremendous night of POCO music and if anyone has a chance to see this show if they do it again, I highly recommend it.
Palestra Jon

Return to Poco Discussion