Swim with polar bears

Discuss the band.

Swim with polar bears

Postby studiogirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:58 pm

I got an email from a cousin that was filled with amazing photos...and now I want to go here...maybe next year???

http://www.ursainternational.org/PBS.html

Image Image Image
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Re: Swim with polar bears

Postby MsUp » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Awesome pictures, Carolyn. If I had any children, I'm not sure I'd let them swim with the Polar Bears (holy moly, they have an extremely large advantage over us) ! ! ! And, the swim faster than fish.....
:D :lol: :o :D :lol: :o .... :roll:
MsUp

Postby Dar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:09 pm

no,but i would swim with them:)
Dar

Postby MsUp » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Dar wrote:no,but i would swim with them:)

That's just silly, Dar. You are not much bigger than a child, a Polar Bear is humungus (could either turn on you, or, by accident, sit on you). I know you love those fuzzy guys, as do I, but you won't find me floatin' with these furballs.
MsUp

Postby studiogirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 pm

There's a glass partition...

There's a place in the world where children can swim among polar bears. Since July 2004, in the little town of Cochrane , northern Ontario , you can visit the Polar Bear Habitat. It's a kind of local zoo where people can live the once-in-a-lifetime experience of an outdoor swim with polar bears.

Of course, the humans are in a different pool, separated from the bears' habitat by just a layer of glass.

Can you see the water drops now?

There's a bullet proof, shatterproof glass that's almost 9 centimeters thick, because although they're cute, polar bears are among the world's most ferocious carnivores.

It took 20 years for the Polar Bear Conservation and Education Habitat and Heritage Village to get off the ground.

When it opened it attracted some 11,000 visitors in the first six months. And now you're invited to go and swim with all those bears if you dare.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Dar » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:55 am

MsUp wrote:
Dar wrote:no,but i would swim with them:)

That's just silly, Dar. You are not much bigger than a child, a Polar Bear is humungus (could either turn on you, or, by accident, sit on you). I know you love those fuzzy guys, as do I, but you won't find me floatin' with these furballs.

there is a guy here who's kids swim with a tiger and lion,he has a menagery,its soooooooooooooooo coool!
Dar

Postby MsUp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:08 am

[quote="studiogirl"]There's a glass partition...

Thanks sis, sure glad that's cleared up.... Phew !
MsUp

Postby Naomipocofan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:08 pm

I'd love to go to this place, but I would NEVER want to be in the water with a polar bear! I have heard on one or two of those nature shows that during the winter, when food (seals) are scarce, a hungry male polar bear will steal a cub from a female. The females are half the size and weight of a full-grown male, and there's nothing they can do to protect the cubs. The male polar bear will eat the cub! I can't think of any other species that cannibalizes their own babies/kids like that.
Nature is beautiful and brutal at the same time . . .
We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box. ~Robert Fulghum
Naomipocofan

Return to Poco Discussion