Sharon Shannon, Dublin, Ireland

Discuss the band.

Sharon Shannon, Dublin, Ireland

Postby Patm » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 pm

I realize there are not a lot of people on the board familiar with Sharon Shannon, but for the few that are, or that like the accordion, here's a review of her recent show.

I was heading to Ireland last month to visit relatives when I discovered that Sharon Shannon would be playing in Dublin just a few days after I arrived. The resort hotel where she was appearing was only 2 hours away so myself and four relatives headed there for a holiday weekend.

Shortly after arrival, we were wandering around to find the venue and heard music coming from one of the rooms. Sure enough, Sharon was doing a sound check and we were able to walk in and listen. We thought we might be asked to leave when her and the crew saw us but she just smiled and continued to play.

When the concert began a few hours later, we were at the door early so got five front row center seats. I knew I would enjoy the show but it was much better than I ever imagined. Sharon Shannon has a unique way of playing, be it traditional Irish music or something more contemporary. She also has a very natural, relaxed interaction with the audience. In the past she used to tour with bands of various sizes, but for the past few years, tours with "one-man-band" Alan Connor. (An astounding musician in his own right, at one point he was playing guitar with one hand, keyboards with the other.)

Shannon covered songs from her first album in 1991, up to the most recent. For most of the night she played accordion, but switched to fiddle and tin whistle for a few songs. The big surprises were a rollicking version of Dylan's "I Want You" and Mark Knopfler's "Why Worry", two songs not on any of her previous albums. After the final encore of Steve Earle''s "Galway Girl" (a mega-hit for her in Ireland), she then took some audience requests, before departing the stage.

We stayed behind a few minutes to finish our drinks when looking up, I noticed her handwritten set list lying on the stage floor. I walked up and asked a crew member if I could have it. He said yes, a short chat ensued and after getting my name, he went backstage and had it autographed with a personal message. He then advised that if we wanted to wait around, Sharon might come out later to say hello. It was tempting but we decided not to, the evening had been fun enough as it was. We then all adjourned to the hotel lounge for an evening of 60's classics by a surprisingly good local band.

Following are some videos from the recent tour:.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMnDpB6RzI8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZlMiqbuc9I
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Re: Sharon Shannon, Dublin, Ireland

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:25 am

So...

Poconut hoedown was approaching a couple of years ago over St. Patrick's Day. The bid was up for an Irish song. I suggested a couple of standards which were shot down for a Steve Earl song. Steve Earl? He's American! Well, maybe Irish-American.

He wrote Galway Girl. I didn't really consider it "Irish" since it was written by an American, but later I saw Shanon completely embraced this song and has kept it alive.

Galway Girl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7-PM_4aeE4

Epilog is, ever since when I'm shooting black haired girls with blue eyes, I ask them, are you a Galway Girl? Half of them laugh. The rest just stare at me with their fake black goth hair without a clue. I love the real deal!
:roll:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby studiogirl » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:57 am

Mark: "Galway Girl"...is not an Irish song but a song about an Irish girl.
:D

As for Sharon Shannon, so happy you got to see her, Pat! She's definitely the real deal! I've seen her with The Waterboys and in a Celtic Women revue -- playing fiddle both times. Glad to know that she's not the diva type and that you got to enjoy some "extras" -- sound check, autograph, etc.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Patm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm

studiogirl wrote:Mark: "Galway Girl"...is not an Irish song but a song about an Irish girl.
As for Sharon Shannon, so happy you got to see her, Pat! She's definitely the real deal! I've seen her with The Waterboys and in a Celtic Women revue -- playing fiddle both times. Glad to know that she's not the diva type and that you got to enjoy some "extras" -- sound check, autograph, etc.

Mark, Carolyn, you're both right! :D Funny how a song evolves.

It definitely did not start out as an Irish song when first appearing on both
Earle and Shannon's individual albums in 2000. Shannon even released it as a single and it went nowhere.

Fast forward to 2007 when Shannon rerecorded it with Irish recording artist Mundy. It became the biggest selling song of the year and one of the biggest in chart history. Definitely an Irish song now (and personal favorite since my family is from Galway.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3V-oXwCWL4

Carolyn, once again I'm jealous of yet another act you saw early on that I did not. Would have loved to have seen The Waterboys back then.
Patm

Postby studiogirl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Pat...did I ever send you the Wiltern show? I think it was 1989.... Let me know.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Bogeyfire » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:47 pm

I get that Sharon isn't the pretentious type, but I've seen a number of YouTube videos over the past couple years and I keep thinking to myself, she needs a taller chair! I keep thinking of all those people who come to see her and she is hidden down at waist height.

Pat, thanks for the review. It sounds like your visit had all the dominoes lined up just for you and all by accident. That is the stuff the best memories are made of!
Bogeyfire

Waterboys 2013

Postby Jiff » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:05 am

Patm wrote:
studiogirl wrote:Carolyn, once again I'm jealous of yet another act you saw early on that I did not. Would have loved to have seen The Waterboys back then.

I wish I had seen the Waterboys back when they had Karl Wallinger and Anthony Thistlewaite. I see that the Waterboys are now on a tour as Fisherman Blues Revisited with Thistlewaite. I've seen them in three different forms, all with probably the best fiidler I've ever seen, Steve Wickham. The best version of them I've seen was in October, the American Waterboys, with hot shot guitarist Jay Barclay of The Damnwells. I don't think they'd toured with a lead guitarist before as Mike Scott handled small lead guitar parts. The Wickham - Barclay duals were pretty amazing. Check out there jam at the end of Don't Bang The Drum in my review:
http://mtheads.yuku.com/topic/2427/The-Waterboys-at-The-Neptune-Oct-11-2013
Jiff

Postby Patm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Bogeyfire wrote:I get that Sharon isn't the pretentious type, but I've seen a number of YouTube videos over the past couple years and I keep thinking to myself, she needs a taller chair! I keep thinking of all those people who come to see her and she is hidden down at waist height.

Mark, you sure you were not at that Dublin show?!

It was held in a large banquet/conference room of the hotel. Folding chairs arranged around the front and sides, but no elevated stage for the performers. After the first song, Sharon suddenly stood up and said she wanted to wave to everyone in the back rows, since she doubted they would be able to see her. She then joked that perhaps her and Alan should get some baby high chairs. She also joked that another option would be that she stood up, but of course she can't play accordion standing.

The plus side of such an informal seating arrangement were we were literally about 20 ft away. You're right, all the dominoes lined up. Great craic!
Patm

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Patm wrote:Mark, you sure you were not at that Dublin show?!...

The plus side of such an informal seating arrangement were we were literally about 20 ft away. You're right, all the dominoes lined up. Great craic!

That's pretty funny! The craic be even greater following a few pints.
Me thinks the Lady needs a throne.
Bogeyfire

Dublin Music

Postby Jiff » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:25 pm

My wife and I got back from a trip to London, Dublin and Boston a couple weeks ago. Primarily Dublin for Irish music. No big Irish acts like Shannon when we were there. We hit a lot of pubs for solo and combo acts. Especially in the medieval Temple Bar area whre several pubs get going with live music in the early afternoon.

Link to my trip report at Seattle Music & More with a link to photos:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mtheads/london-dublin-boston-june-2018-t2489.html
Jiff

Next

Return to Poco Discussion