**%^&$%^%&*%^ Board (Rusty and Michael in FL)

Discuss the band.

**%^&$%^%&*%^ Board (Rusty and Michael in FL)

Postby mcdtj » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:43 am

I just spent an hour drafting a full and rather witty review of Michael and Rusty's performance in Delray Beach, FL. But the board logged me out just before I hit the "submit" button and sent my review to God knows where. Gotta get to bed because it is now 1:30 am and I am facing a 2.5 hour drive starting at 8 am. So....

Here's the capsule review:

Rusty: Lead vocals (on all songs except Drinkin' 'bout You), acoustic guitar, dobro, mandolin, harmonica
Michael: Harmony vocals, grand piano, accordion, mandolin

Set List:

Kind Woman
PUTP
ROC
Neil Young is Not my Brother
HOTN (Cajun version)

(Intermission)

Call It Love
All Fired Up
A Child's Claim to Fame
A Little Rain Don't Bother Me
Drinkin' 'bout You
Spellbound
Crazy Love
AGFTK (Encore)

Best songs of the night: Kind Woman, ROC, Neil, HOTN, Rain, Spellbound, Crazy Love (Sounded great with just two guys and two instruments--didn't miss the full band on these at all.)

Weakest songs of the night: Call It Love, All Fired Up, AGFTK (These sound better with a full band and/or three part harmonies than with just two instruments and two vocals.)

Stories told by Rusty: How Poco came to be; missing out on Woodstock to play at a high school gymnasium; how two German guys who recorded a German language cover of ROC changed the lyrics into an ode to a Luftwaffe pilot; performing Call It Love on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson; dispute with the record company about when the Legend album would be released; why he wrote Neil Young Is Not My Brother; stopping in New Orleans whenever possible and how this inspired Paul to pen HOTN.

UPCOMING PERFORMANCE: Rusty mentioned that they had just committed to a full-band concert next March in Daytona Beach, but he didn't have any details. So watch this board and/or Facebook--I'm sure Mary will post something about it when she has all the info.

Great to meet Poconut Sandy and to spend a few minutes with familiar Poconut friends from Wisconsin, Mike and Sara. Poconuts are the best.

Peace out. Time for bed.
Last edited by mcdtj on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mcdtj

Re: **%^&$%^%&*%^ Board (Rusty and Michael in FL)

Postby TonySTL » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:25 am

Hey Tim,

The abridged review was great and makes me feel like I missed something special by not getting the 1 hour version!

I want to retire like you. Except for the golf thing, I have enough frustrations to seek another one!

Hope to catch up again down this trail!
TonySTL

Postby mcdtj » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:26 am

Rusty tells such interesting tales, Tony, and these guys are just so talented, that everyone had a great time. I think as Rusty plays around a bit more with this "Poco duets" format, he will figure out which songs work best.

I was kinda hoping for a song from Rusty's upcoming solo album, but we did not get one.

Best to you, Peg and the pups.
mcdtj

Postby Leee292 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to repost it. I'm sure a lot of people appreciate it!
Ride the Country!
Leee292

Postby bocanut » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:53 am

Let's keep it simple.......the show Friday was great.

I've seen POCO many many times and for me most of the stories are reruns but still fun for to rehear.

The combination of Rusty and Michael for a first time out worked quite well. Did I miss having the whole current band? Sure but the show was advertised as an duo.

Rusty's voice was in very fine form. The limited touring and rest has given him more vocal range and he did a fine job doing his songs and covering Richie and Paul's parts. I was glad to be there and hope that Rusty's continued non retirement works out well with a new CD and new book. Any show that ends with AGFTK with one or more of the members of POCO at the time of that recording is still a treat for me.

PS......Rusty still can't bring himself to acknowledge the name of the group that employed Randy and Timothy. I know that it is mostly a joke, but, the continued jealousy seems pointless after all these years, particularly with Frey's death and the end of The Eagles. As the Eagles song goes....."Get Over It".
bocanut

Postby Diederik1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:03 am

bocanut wrote:Let's keep it simple.......the show Friday was great.

I've seen POCO many many times and for me most of the stories are reruns but still fun for to rehear.

The combination of Rusty and Michael for a first time out worked quite well. Did I miss having the whole current band? Sure but the show was advertised as an duo.

Rusty's voice was in very fine form. The limited touring and rest has given him more vocal range and he did a fine job doing his songs and covering Richie and Paul's parts. I was glad to be there and hope that Rusty's continued non retirement works out well with a new CD and new book. Any show that ends with AGFTK with one or more of the members of POCO at the time of that recording is still a treat for me.

PS......Rusty still can't bring himself to acknowledge the name of the group that employed Randy and Timothy. I know that it is mostly a joke, but, the continued jealousy seems pointless after all these years, particularly with Frey's death and the end of The Eagles. As the Eagles song goes....."Get Over It".

I don't think Rusty is jealous at all. The (not) talking about The Eagles is more like a joke, an act. Maybe it's more of an issue for us fans and it always has been.
Rusty sang once "I must be doing something right" and seems happy and pleased with both his personal and musical life. You can hear it in his songs, playing and voice, I think.
By the way: The Eagles never made a great album like Legend or an incredible song like Rose. Rusty and Poco should be proud of that. They changed my life in a good way
Diederik1

Return to Poco Discussion