Hoedown XIII !!

Discuss the band.

Re: Hoedown XIII !!

Postby studiogirl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Quinn wrote:Thx, Tim. I have never played any of those songs, so, I may have to be the audience!

I have cheat sheets (aka "charts") for most of those songs. And you can probably sing even if you don't know a song on guitar. We'll have a day or two to go over some stuff before we leave for Borrego, and there's plenty of time during the day when we're there for you to pick up anything you want to learn. Most of those songs are not particularly difficult.
Last edited by studiogirl on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Quinn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:00 am

Looking forward to it!
Quinn

Postby mary » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:26 am

Have fun you guys. Those are the days we'll be in the NE for Poco concerts. Post photos here!
email me for international merch orders, Mary Young
pocomerch@gmail.com
mary

Postby studiogirl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:46 pm

mary wrote:Have fun you guys. Those are the days we'll be in the NE for Poco concerts. Post photos here!

Hope y'all have fun in the NE...and post some photos, too! One of these times...as long as we keep doing it...you should bring your ukulele (or borrow mine) and join us in the SW!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Bogeyfire » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:34 am

Quinn, you're going to have a butt-load of fun. The volume goes up with all those instruments. (We try to keep it down, but there are limits!) It will be way louder than what you play in your apartment, I'm sure of that, but not so loud as you have to have a mic to add some harmonies.

Gratefully, my little amp is drowned out half the time, so air guitar works pretty well too!
:mrgreen:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby mcdtj » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:06 am

We do have a lot of fun, Mark.

Lord knows that the music, for us hoedowners, is an avocation, not a vocation. But that doesn't mean we can't play and sing REALLY WELL every now and then.

And when the guitars are ringing, the harmonies are soaring, and you see smiles all around the room, we do make "just a little bit of magic" at the ol' hoedown.
mcdtj

Postby studiogirl » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:23 pm

To expand a bit...we have a full PA (thanks to the late Dr. Mojave), two mains and two (brand new!) monitors, several mics (thanks to Larry aka BlueLarryBlue). There will be an extra guitar or two and amps for them. Pretty much anybody can join in the singing, though you may have share a mic at times. Instruments run through their own amps, except for acoustic guitars, which can go through the PA. Last year a delightful woman with a saxophone joined us...and created the best-ever hoedown moment when she leaped out of her chair and danced across the room, playing the sax, at just the right time in "Yellow Submarine". You had to be there!

It's not simply controlled chaos...there's no real control but there's no actual chaos, either.

One fun thing is having the chance to fiddle around with other instruments. Our drummer also likes to play guitar. A couple of us play bass and guitar and trade off. One guitarist sits in on drums at times...especially when the drummer is playing guitar. LOL And then there's also a keyboard and sometimes some congas.

It's a party...lotsa fun!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby TonySTL » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Ditto to all of the fun times. Quinn, you'll be a hit and even when you miss you're funny as hell!

I know you'll all miss my outstanding Classical Gas on Tuba but we can't have it all!

Have fun folks, I can't make it as I'll be in Dallas for that week but Peg and I plan on returning in the future.

Too many tunes, good folks and laughs but too little time. (Probably just enough time for the *older* folks!)

Somebody send me a roll call so I can be bummed more by who I missed this year!
TonySTL

Postby studiogirl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:55 pm

TonySTL wrote:Somebody send me a roll call so I can be bummed more by who I missed this year!

I'll try to remember. We "older folks" could use a reminder, though...
;)

We'll miss you, Tony and Peg. I guess this means I HAVE TO do it again next year (but don't make me think about it until January 2018!!).
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Carolyn, you hoedown wrangler, you!

You mentioned "the drummer". Maybe I missed this, but you have lined us up? (You always take care of everything!) Who do we have coming?
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion