Bass Players

Discuss the band.

Bass Players

Postby Denbo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 pm

When I listen to Poco when they were the Fab Four, I am always greatly impressed with Timothy B's bass playing. I listen to Head Over Heels a lot, and Tim's bass playing is outstanding throughout. Take a listen to Makin' Love, and he is spot on. On Tim's solo album Playing It Cool, his bass playing on the title track is amazing.

I also have always been impressed with John Entwhistle as well. Stead, you can hear his bass line well without it being too intrusive.

It seems that most bass players also play regular guitar, so possibly that gives them a better understanding of how to establish their bass in a song.

I'd like to hear from bass players out there, as well as Poconuts, on who they like and why. I think bass players in general are very underappreciated musicians, and what they can bring to a song.
Denbo

Re: Bass Players

Postby DieHardPOCOFan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 am

The Allman Brothers Band have historically had some of the best bass players and bass scores in songs, often carrying the melody. Oteil Burbridge is one of the best.

Funny story, my brother in law is a former professional musician who has played with Oteil from time to time. One night we were watching the ABB Beacon Theater DVD and my sister in law comes into the room and says, "There's Otiel, who is that he's playing with?". "That's the Allman Brothers Band, Laurie", rolling his eyes. After standing there watching a couple of minutes, she comes back with, "Why are their songs so long?"
Another eye roll.
DieHardPOCOFan

Postby Diederik1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 am

I prefer Jack. His playing and voice and songwriting. On top of that he is a great guy. I thought Tim made Poco too soft.
Diederik1

Postby fsereno » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Yup, Restrain is such a soft song, like a lullaby.
fsereno

Postby Quinn » Mon May 01, 2017 4:45 am

Hello Music lovers. Tim belongs to the McCartney club. Sings high, plays low.
Oteil, great player.
If you want to check out a band, how about Victor Wooten's, with 3 bass players. Somehow, they make it work.
I think Jack is a great player and the songs he writes are awsesome.
Quinn

Postby Diederik1 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:05 am

fsereno wrote:Yup, Restrain is such a soft song, like a lullaby.

No, that is a good song. But with the impact of Richies voice en Georges voice already in the band at those days, Tims voice was overkill for me. Just my humble opinion. I just prefer Jack.
Although I like every era of the band, the best Poco-albums to me are Legend and Blue&Gray, Rusty and Paul, maybe that explains my choice and preferences a bit.
Diederik1

Postby Denbo » Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 am

Peter Cetera is another good bass player. And of course he has a Poco connection as he recommended Paul for the band.

How about Randy Meisner? Any thoughts out there? Great voice for sure.
Denbo

Postby kenslater » Thu May 04, 2017 8:09 pm

DieHardPOCOFan wrote:The Allman Brothers Band have historically had some of the best bass players and bass scores in songs, often carrying the melody. Oteil Burbridge is one of the best.

Funny story, my brother in law is a former professional musician who has played with Oteil from time to time. One night we were watching the ABB Beacon Theater DVD and my sister in law comes into the room and says, "There's Otiel, who is that he's playing with?". "That's the Allman Brothers Band, Laurie", rolling his eyes. After standing there watching a couple of minutes, she comes back with, "Why are their songs so long?"
Another eye roll.

I am not the best judge of bass players, but this reference reminded me of Tal Wilkenfeld (I know of her from the Jeff Beck DVD - Live at Ronnie Scotts). Her Wikipedia page includes the following:

In 2006 while playing at one of the clubs in New York, Wilkenfeld met some members of The Allman Brothers Band. "Oteil Burbridge heard me first, and then Derek Trucks heard me. And those two then just encouraged me to go on with them at the Beacon Theater." It was her first time on the big stage. "Oteil just handed me his bass at the beginning of "Elizabeth Reed" and literally just ran into the audience and was watching me in the audience, smiling." The jam lasted around 40 minutes and Wilkenfeld sent a recording of the performance to Jeff Beck when she auditioned for his band.

Ken
kenslater

Return to Poco Discussion