The Captain

Discuss the band.

Re: The Captain

Postby Jiff » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:31 am

nutsince69 wrote: Palmer Lake is at 7,300' elevation. My understanding is that Paul was struggling a bit adjusting to the altitude. It was a special evening to see 2 special musicians and 2 special people.

Assuming the video of Good Feelin To Know is at the Palmer Lake show, it looks like the altitude may have given Paul a dry mouth.

Him moving to Oregon is fine by me here in Washington.
Jiff

Postby Tabasco » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Jiff wrote:
nutsince69 wrote: Palmer Lake is at 7,300' elevation. My understanding is that Paul was struggling a bit adjusting to the altitude. It was a special evening to see 2 special musicians and 2 special people.

Assuming the video of Good Feelin To Know is at the Palmer Lake show, it looks like the altitude may have given Paul a dry mouth.

Him moving to Oregon is fine by me here in Washington.

Well, I'm just sayin' ... if there's gonna be any Paul Cotton shows, I would hope there's a way to hear about them online. I'm retiring in 1.5 years. I would love to throw a leg over my motorcycle to head on out of state to see the Captain play. That would be sweet.
Tabasco

Postby nutsince69 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:18 pm

What, no Emerson?

Good one! Had not thought of that.
nutsince69

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:40 am

@ Bocanut, you have a gentle and delicate way with words. I have much respect for that.
:)
I wish The Captain nothing but the best. I had a great visit in Oregon for the first time this Summer. I was in Cannon Beach, OR, and can picture him there. Wherever he goes, I know its for a good reason and purpose.
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Oregon

Postby Jiff » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm

I was at Cannon Beach in June. The beach near Mo's following lunch there:

A quick search indicates Paul is in Corvallis, home of the Beavers. I read that he's had a band in Oregon since 2008. Corvallis pales compared to Key West for places for him to play. Squirrel's Tavern maybe. Despite being a college town, Corvallis is kind of dead for live music, especially compared to Eugene.

Looks like he had nice digs in Key West (2601 South Roosevelt Blvd). I read that he arrived to live there right after Hurricane Wilma in 2005 (and left right before Irma). He said that he saw Jimmy Buffett at a private show at Margaritaville in 2015. I guess he wasn't invited on-stage. I wonder if Jimmy knew he was there. 2015 interview:
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/music/pocos-paul-cotton-dishes-about-rocks-greats-from-his-key-west-home-6403869

Too bad the Rock And Romance Cruise with the 70s bands I was on in March left Key West at 5pm. The only live music going on during the day (March 15th) was a solo guy at Sloppy Joe's:

Jack and Paul perked up when they heard English from a fan (me) in Nice in 2005:
Jiff

Postby Denbo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am

Per Fanjack's comments, OMG, Paul looks terrible. He keeps licking his lips with his tongue, and looks like he is about to have a stroke. Maybe all those years of smoking have finally caught up with him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Paul. He is my favorite Poco member and his songs and guitar playing have had a huge influence on me. I think Firebird was the pinnacle for Paul, and a CD I absolutely love from start to finish. A masterpiece!

I hope he is doing well. I know he is 71 or so, but when you haven't seen him live in a while, this video was disturbing to be.

Lets all say a prayer for The Captain.
Denbo

Postby fanjack12 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 am

Denbo and I have many similar thoughts about Paul -- including Firebird - I still have my t-shirt and wear it proudly! Hope Paul is doing OK and I wish I could be as optimistic as some others here. Also, I sense something went wrong with Paul leaving Poco, especially since he played no part in Rusty's CD; while so many did. Always best wishes to The Captain!!!
fanjack12

Postby germanpoco » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:53 am

Paul Cotton, September 2017, What should we think...?
I wish him all the best.
https://youtu.be/qyIOCAJ9ga8
germanpoco

Postby rusty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:12 pm

(it's Mary)
It's not just here, mainly it's on facebook.
In our opinion, there's more Peace among Poco band members than problems.
Rusty & the band and I wish the speculation would stop about why Paul left the band.
It really wasn't just between Rusty & Paul. Can everyone just let it be and keep on enjoying Poco music past, present and future; including all the past memebers' music.
Last edited by rusty on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rusty

Postby Diederik1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Well said, Mary. It's none of our business and these things happen every day in ordinary life. I never understood why famous people are under scrutiny when it comes to these matters.
I try to follow all the current and former bandmembers, but there are quite a few, smiley. Just thankful our guys are still out there making music. And Rusty's album is so welcome to us fans.
That being said, I am so grateful Rusty and Paul created such incredible music together. I don't have any need to know what happened or didn't happen, I just want to enjoy Poco past and present.
Diederik1

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion