Tom Rush rock doc on Amazon Prime

Discuss the band.

Tom Rush rock doc on Amazon Prime

Postby marc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 am

Tom Rush has been a favorite of mine for just about as long as I’ve been a fan of Poco. You may not know that Rush performed and recorded songs by Joni Mitchell, Jackson Brown and James Taylor before anyone had pretty much heard of any of them and at least as far as Mitchell is concerned, she probably would still be pretty much unknown if he hadn’t made “The Circle Game” the center piece as well as the title of his last album on Electra before he moved over to Columbia. She used to say: “Before anyone else took my writing seriously, Tom Rush was singing and recording my songs.”

Like Dave Van Ronk who isn’t remembered much today, who served as mentor to many of the singer, songwriters of the sixties, in particular Dylan and Baez, Rush has carried on that role for many who came after over the last 50 years. Well into his 70’s he still is wonderful to see in concert still playing all over the country.

If you’re an Amazon prime video customer, they just added a doc celebrating the first 50 years of his career. It’s called “No Regrets” after one of his own songs and it’s well worth watching.

Marc-

Trivia factoid: Linda Eastman (pre McCartney) did the cover photography.
marc

Re: Tom Rush rock doc on Amazon Prime

Postby germanpoco » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi,
yes, Tom Rush is great...he has a new album out soon...
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/tomrush
germanpoco

Postby Patm » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:12 am

marc wrote:Tom Rush has been a favorite of mine for just about as long as I’ve been a fan of Poco.

Same here. First time I heard him was 1970 on WBCN in Boston, who played "Rockport Sunday"/"No Regrets" regularly. Same year I heard "Pickin Up the Pieces" for the first time.

He still retains his ability to pick great songs as shown by his most recent album "What I Know" in 2009. Nice to read he's working on a new one.

The documentary "No Regrets" very entertaining, good to see its now on Amazon.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Postby germanpoco » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:34 am

Got my download files of the new album, the CD's will follow in a few weeks, vinyls in a few months. That album is great, as expected...
germanpoco

Return to Poco Discussion