Stephen Stills bio

Discuss the band.

Stephen Stills bio

Postby werock » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Has anybody read the Stephen Stills biography titled “Change Partners” by David Roberts?
werock

Re: Stephen Stills bio

Postby StevenT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 pm

I bought the book shortly after it became available on Amazon. I found it to be an enjoyable read, but then again Crosby Stills & Nash is my second favorite group.
;)

Its focus is primarily behind-the-music, telling stories about the origins of songs, recording sessions, tours, etc., and only brief moments about topics that Stephen might find uncomfortable (alcohol/drugs, relationships with women, bandmate feuds, etc.)

The book of course lack some autobiographical perspective, but does offer decent objectivity, as would be expected by an outside writer. The book often draws quotes from books by Dave Zimmer, David Crosby, Graham Nash, etc.

Many fans have waited hopefully for Stills to match the autobiographies that his CSN partners have already written, but for now Roberts' book is the best alternative I'm aware of (in my opinion).

I hope to eventually see an autobiography from Stills.... and from Rusty !!!

StevenT

Re: Stephen Stills bio

Postby werock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:36 pm

I read that Stills is working on it.
werock

NE Florida musicians

Postby Jiff » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Lots of musicians I like came from NE Florida, particularly Gainesville with Stills, Don Felder, Bernie Leadon, Tom Petty, Benmont Tench, Mike Campbell and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Just watched an interesting three hour program on Skynyrd, Gone With The Wind. Allman Brothers from Daytona Beach. Jim Stafford and Gram Parson are from Winter Haven and played together in The Legends.
Jiff

Return to Poco Discussion