Poco on Amazon Prime

Discuss the band.

Poco on Amazon Prime

Postby Gus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:16 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Living Legends of Music video regarding Poco on Amazon Prime Video. Maybe this was discussed previously on this forum, but I missed it. Here are my comments:

“If you want to see Poco in it’s latest configuration, this is your chance. The music is excellent, but it is Poco NOW, not the vintage of yesteryear. And, Poco now Is pretty darn good. There are new arrangements to old songs and new songs from their latest CD that highlight the musical talents of the current band. Rusty Young the sustaining element of Poco gives his take on the history of the band and some of the watershed moments involved in their evolution. Good stuff from very talented people.

If you want to get the full perspective on the band, also get the “Crazy Loving” or “Keeping the Legend Alive” DVD. This is a live concert from Nashville recorded in 2004 that includes Richie Furay, Paul Cotton and George Grantham. They perform a history of their music and there are also interviews with the band. Between the two DVD’s, you will have a full history of one of the most influential pioneering country rock bands of our generation.”

I recommend this to all Poco followers.
Gus

Re: Poco on Amazon Prime

Postby Grahame » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:23 am

Am I right in thinking it is only an hour long? If so, that's a little disappointing but I will still buy it.
Grahame

Postby kenslater » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:17 am

Grahame wrote:Am I right in thinking it is only an hour long? If so, that's a little disappointing but I will still buy it.

The DVD (Living Legends Music presents POCO ... SUNSET RODEO) lists running time as 92:31.
Ken
kenslater

Postby fanjack12 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:51 am

4 reviews on Amazon vary on this production. What is Rusty's position on this? While he is very much in it, does the lack of comment here mean he isn't supporting this production?? Lack of announcement about it on this site seems to indicate a negative opinion.
fanjack12

Postby marc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 am

I was at this performance. The version showing on Amazon Prime is a poorly edited version of the original DVD with at least 30 minutes chopped off of the original, and not very professionally edited.

Also, it's not exactly a current view of Poco with George Lawrence on drums. Rick Lonow has brought a completely different style of percussion to the band that to me invokes a style much closer to the way the band sounded back in George Grantham's best days. Also, like Grantham, Rick is a drummer who can sing which has added an element to Poco's live performance that's been missing for a long time. With all four guys singing the band now is just incredible.

My suggestion would be to see the band live the way way they are now.

Marc-

Rick is also a song writer. In particular, he was a co-writer of “Call It Love.”
marc

Postby Grahame » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks for all the information. So is the 92 minute version still available to purchase from anyone? Amazon Prime only seem to be offering the short version.
Grahame

Postby kenslater » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Grahame wrote:Thanks for all the information. So is the 92 minute version still available to purchase from anyone? Amazon Prime only seem to be offering the short version.

I guess I should have done some research, as I thought the one on Amazon would be the same as the one released in 2015.
You could email Greg Pike at Living Legends Music (greg@livinglegendsmusic.com) to see if they still have any copies of the Sunset Rodeo DVD for sale.
Ken
kenslater

Postby Gus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:57 pm

My understanding is that the DVD for purchase through the Living Legends website is 90 minutes long. The video that is available for viewing on Amazon Prime Video is 58 minutes long. My suggestion is, if you have access to Amazon, watch the video and then determine if you want to make the purchase.
Gus

Postby mary » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:16 pm

we have a few of the original in stock, i bring them to shows. i don't believe we were able to sell them online (living legend can though)
email me for international merch orders, Mary Young
pocomerch@gmail.com
mary

Postby randall » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 am

randall

Next

Return to Poco Discussion