Hoedown XIV

Discuss the band.

Re: Hoedown XIV

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 pm

mcdtj wrote:Mark, I play "Kansas City Southern" in E. But we can do it in D if that's a better key for your lead vocal (hint hint).

Carolyn was gonna rent me a guitar, but I will gladly play your Gibson instead of the rental. Thank you so much!!!

Uh-oh... I better brush up on Kansas City! (I'll probably be reading the lyrics.)
;)
The Les Paul is all yours, Señor! I'll be arriving Thursday. Let's rock that thing.
:mrgreen:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby studiogirl » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:57 am

I usually do the Gene Clark or Dillard & Clark version...but I'll check out PPL and learn it in E...on bass. We'll have plenty of six-strings.

Meanwhile...I'm messaging musicians this week, asking for songs and suggesting (requesting?) that we do things a little differently this year regarding how we pick what to play. Just a little more organization.

Also, reminder that I don't do meals any longer, but we have the room with the sink, 'frig, stove and microwave. I'll make coffee in the a.m. as I usually do and supply milk and sugar. Can make more anytime if wanted. I'll also supply for snacking:
--paper plates and napkins
--plastic utensils
--baggies, plastic wrap, foil
--a couple of large bowls (chips)
--some drink cups but will have some acrylic glasses to avoid so much plastic waste
--one case of water (please think about bringing a refillable water bottle to cut down on more waste)

Last for now...looking forward to seeing everyone!!!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby studiogirl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 pm

HOEDOWNERS: Please send any song titles we can attempt (or own!!) that you may not have already given me.

I'm not looking to make up sets or any kind of formal order, just a list we can glimpse and note anything of interest. Brush up on something, get lyrics...whatever you need or want. I'd just like to have a list handy so that we can call out a title, and either go for it or move on. Life is short; let's not be indecisive!! LOL

If you can manage it...drop a line in the next few days so I can compile the list and send it out. I know everybody's busy, so if you can't manage it, don't worry, but please give some thought to what you might be interested in/can do/want to try...over the next couple of weeks before we meet.

Also, I hope other Poconuts who might be even a tiny bit interested in this event will join us. And you do not have to play or sing...just join the group and be part of the fun. Every band, even one that's cobbled together, likes to have an audience.

If you're tired of snow...take a break and come to the desert!! You will be glad you did!!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby studiogirl » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Well...it's here!! I am probably going to leave home tomorrow, a day early, because of predicted heavy rains here at home. (Don't want to get stuck if the highway is closed down.) I'll leave Ventura on Wednesday as originally planned, and arrive in Borrego Springs by late afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing all who plan to come. And if you haven't planned it yet...there's still time!! Catch a redeye, hop a train, get in the car and drive...you won't be sorry!! Plus...weather in Borrego Springs is predicted to be in the 70s-80s during the day, dipping down to high 40s/low 50s at night. And NO rain!!

See you there....
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby mcdtj » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am

Bags are packed and boarding passes are printed. We're cleaning up around the house, then heading to Barnes and Noble for some in-flight reading materials.

Tomorrow morning, we need to leave the house about 5:20 am to make our 6:53 am departure to Houston. We're due into San Diego around 11 am. Gotta get the bags and AVIS rental car (inside joke), then off to El Indio for lunch. Should be at Palm Canyon by 3-3:30 pm, if all goes as planned. Can't wait!!!
mcdtj

Postby fanjack12 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Hope you all have safe travels and a great time at the Hoedown -- Poco fans rock!
fanjack12

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Awesome time at the 14th annual Hoedown! Many, many thanks owed to Studiogirl, the Hoedown Qween!

Good friends. A little smaller group, but some new faces. Some killer guitar, certainly putting me above my game.
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby mcdtj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:47 pm

Always a fun time. Looking foward to XV already.
mcdtj

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion