Chicago the band

Discuss the band.

Chicago the band

Postby Denbo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:06 pm

I watched a two hour feature on Chicago the other day on Netflix. I really enjoyed their music and innovative sound from the late 60's through the 1970's. When lead guitarist and singer Terry Kath died in 1978, the band really struggled to stay relevant. They went through many lineup changes, and their music went more towards ballads and away from what made them popular.

To me, when Terry Kath died, Chicago died. He was one terrific, and underrated, guitar player. It was interesting that their story was typical of many other bands in that they signed poor contracts and much of the money went to their producer/manager, which in this case was James Guercio. Plus, alot went up their noses if you know what I mean.

Lots of good music early, but after 1978, not so much.

Any thoughts out there?
Denbo

Re: Chicago the band

Postby Jiff » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 pm

I saw that program a few months ago. Kath's daughter did a good job. Interesting, especially the stuff about the recording activities at Caribou Ranch in Colorado.
Looking at the many bands that recorded there, you'd think Poco would have.
Caribou Ranch:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribou_Ranch

Saw the Big Interview with Kiefer Sutherland yesterday. He talked a lot about his music (country). Didn't know that he was married to Kath's widow, and his daughter with here, Sarah, is an actress getting a lot of screen time.

Without Kath, Chicago was still a force. Don't know if all their musicians would have come together without him, but I suppose their talenst would have been exposed in some configuration. I agree that rock music was the best in the 60s and 70s.

On the 4th I put on some not-heavily-played old country and soft rock CDs, like America, Poco, Sutherland Bros, Iain Mathews, etc. An attendee said, waving his arm, "I'm way past that, I've moved on". He proceeds to take out his phone and start playing Chris Stapleton on its little speaker, saying "guys like Blake Shelton and Luke Bryan are where its at now." Me: "What?!"
Jiff

Re: Chicago the band

Postby Here In GR » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:00 pm

I saw Chicago a few times, and once had the live album with EIGHT sides! I always loves "Happy Cause I'm Going Home" Also we went to a great LOCAL show last week and much to my surprise one of the bands played a SUPERB version of "Only The Beginning" I have NEVER heard any other band besides Chicago play this and it made for a beautiful night indeed. They recently formed here and so I cannot find a video of that song, but here is some of their music from another show all together at the famous FOUNDERS Brewery.
https://www.facebook.com/Thesoulsyndica ... 189741670/
Here In GR

Return to Poco Discussion