John Prine 1946-2020

Discuss the band.

John Prine 1946-2020

Postby germanpoco » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:35 am

John Prine, Rest in Peace, greetings to the Angel from Montgomery.
Another great one gone.
germanpoco

Re: John Prine 1946-2020

Postby Jiff » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:13 pm

One of my favorite singer-writers. Please Don't Bury Me, one of the first songs I committed to memory. Sweet Revenge, one of the first albums I wore out. My thoughts on him at Seattle Music & More:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mtheads/viewtopic.php?p=19858#p19858
Jiff

Re: John Prine 1946-2020

Postby Patm » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:58 pm

John Prine turned out to be a neighbor when I visited family in Ireland. My cousin there had told me he was living in town. I thought he was joking until we ran into John one night at our local favorite pub. (Turns out it was John's favorite as well.) He often would perform but that night he was content to sit, talk and enjoy some Guinness. Very memorable and fun evening. He had just released the album "Singing Mailman Delivers" and rather than mail us copies said he would deliver them instead. Next morning about 10:00AM, John shows up, reminding us he once was a mailman so this kept him in practice.

Unfortunately that was the only time I ran into him. Subsequent visits to Ireland were always when he was out of the country but I figured I'd run into him again sooner or later, maybe even catch an impromptu performance

Myself and my cousin had plans to see him in concert in 2020 but Covid19 ended his life too soon. What an absolutely incredible songwriter he was.

Here's John performing one of my favorite songs in that same pub I met him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMp3Bu ... MM&index=3

Sláinte John.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Return to Poco Discussion