Michael Jackson Rushed to Hospital

Discuss the band.

Re: Michael Jackson Rushed to Hospital

Postby hzryb » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:00 am

I just flew in from 2 weeks vacation in Israel (and boy are my arms tired! LOL)

What a media circus to greet me on my arrival. You would have thought Michael Jackson was an important head of state. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed his early work, and especially Thriller...perfect pop music. His early music videos were tremendous and set the standards for other artists in the fledgling days of MTV.

I thought MJ became musically irrelevant about the same time he became "weird."

However, you can't discount Off The Wall or Thriller (or even Bad) as genius.

His life was a tortured one, hopefully he is at peace right now and forever.
hzryb

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:12 am

DrMichaelGalvin wrote:I understand what you are saying about the self sacrifice our military makes on our behalf however, I am confused by your correlation. As Americans we have a freedom of choice (as with the all volunteer service in this great country at the present time) as a constitutional right. Unlike the Viet Nam war there is no draft. Americans are free to make the choice (thanks to Armed Forses who insure those rights) to be entertainers, scholars, medical professionals, educators, professional athletes, and members of the military, etc.

Dr. Galvin

The fact is that many of our service members have no choice as to whether they go to collage with all the advantages it offers for a post collage career. Many join to escape grinding poverty and an economy that offers little beyond a job at a fast food chain. They join to find a better life and, yes it's a roll of the dice that they may risk their lives and future in a combat zone.
I'm sure that given the opportunity, thousands would have opted for a higher education over the military.
As you mention, there is no draft. No compulsory military obligation, but if you are an 18 year old from a family of 7 other children, where you live in the midst of a crime riddled community with no job skills, no athletic scholarship money, then the prospect of a decent paying military career is the only realistic alternative. In the military we referred to this as, "The Backdoor Draft".
I am gratified to know you have a respect for the members of the armed forces and I wish more people would adopt your attitude.
My point was my puzzlement and not a little anger over the publicity this one individual who in all likelihood died from his excesses, is receiving when at this very moment, some 50 year old father/husband/mother/wife is at risk far from their loved ones.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the clarification. It is all making sense to me now.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby studiogirl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am

After reading all the posts up to this point, some for the second time, I feel that my comments may be misinterpreted or misunderstood.

I was not a fan of MJ, but I recognize his talent. His music just didn't appeal much to me. I don't think anyone deserves to die. I certainly would have written a better ending to his story were the pen in my hand.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:55 am

DrMichaelGalvin wrote:Thanks for the clarification. It is all making sense to me now.

Dr. Galvin

Really? Then explain it to me so it makes sense.

It's a bit daunting to exchange views with someone who uses a quote from the great Mr. Benchley as a signature.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby woogie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:42 pm

I thought this post was about the untimely death of Michael Jackson?.It seems to me that some of the opinions expressed here should have been made on the political board.That's just IMHO.The guy has died and deserves respect just the same as anyone who has passed.One thing is for sure we are ALL going one day and I dont think many will be remembered like MJ.Whatever he has or has not done may he rest in peace.
woogie

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:54 pm

woogie wrote:I thought this post was about the untimely death of Michael Jackson?.It seems to me that some of the opinions expressed here should have been made on the political board.That's just IMHO.The guy has died and deserves respect just the same as anyone who has passed.One thing is for sure we are ALL going one day and I dont think many will be remembered like MJ.Whatever he has or has not done may he rest in peace.

Well, my good friend, yes and no. I trying to make a point about society, not politics.
And he did nothing I can see he should have died for, regardless of my dislike for his bad choices in life.
And of course, you take the high road and that's what makes you a good guy.
I am somewhat shame faced that my first posts on the new site should be of a negative nature. But too many times in the past, I've held my thoughts and views and I feel strongly about anyone who buys their way out of a crime, be it MJ, Patty Hearst or Robert Blake.

Hope you are doing well.

Dave
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby woogie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Dave, you are my buddy, I am so pleased that you are BACK man.
I aint gonna argue with you. :)I'm doing good, had some ups and downs lately.(not any of my doing) things seem to be back on track now.Dave you are a good guy I've missed you.
woogie

Postby studiogirl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 pm

woogie wrote:Dave you are a good guy I've missed you.

You're not the only one.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby joeyg7 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:02 pm

We all know how gifted Michael Jackson and how he was abused at an early age,that probably caused his weirdness.However this man made alot of paper and was in debt.He rented a house(mansion)for 100,000 a month,not bad for someone who suposedlys in debt for 400k.After Thriller he did nothing at all worth talking about.What sets Poco and The Eagles apart from him is They are stand up guys who took care of themselves and still sound great today and they are in thier 60"s.You think The Eagles will ever be in debt to anyone?However it still is a shame and if he did anything to those kids Im sure hes answering for it now.
joeyg7

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion