Michael Jackson Rushed to Hospital

Discuss the band.

Re: Michael Jackson Rushed to Hospital

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:09 pm

studiogirl wrote:
woogie wrote:Dave you are a good guy I've missed you.

You're not the only one.

Cheers for that....

Sometimes life get's overwhelming and one needs to step back. Wow, look at all the new folks! (A bit of thread hi-jacking here......)

BTW SG, That issue with my school last year has been resolved. I went to the top and received a positive response in less than two hours. And a very kind response at that.

Hope all is okay with you and that George is on the mend.

Now, back to your regular programmed thread..........
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Lonesomedave, your second posted reply to my post has clarified everything I misunderstood in your original post. I don't think I can explain it any better than you have in that second post.
Thanks for recognizing Mr. Benchley.
Woogie, not everyone who dies is deserving of respect.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby studiogirl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Lonesomedave wrote: ... (A bit of thread hi-jacking here......)

BTW SG, That issue with my school last year has been resolved. I went to the top and received a positive response in less than two hours. And a very kind response at that.

Hope all is okay with you and that George is on the mend.

Now, back to your regular programmed thread..........

Thread hijacking is among my greatest talents.

When you feel like it, drop me an email some time...and spare everyone here my "talent"....
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby sunsetkidd » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

In any case, it is good to see you posting again, Lonesome Dave.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:05 pm

sunsetkidd wrote:In any case, it is good to see you posting again, Lonesome Dave.

Just a trifle more hijacking.....

Thanks Kidd! I almost registered as, "Depleted Loser" or, "Lonesomefoggydavehat" which always appealed to me more than any other SN. But it's good to see the old members and gratifying to see so many new members as well!
I think more than any one thing, the loss of that one special member made me want to back off for a while. Not a personal friend, we did exchange some E's and he was a stand up guy.
I'd like to have read his take on all of this.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby rfa77 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:44 pm

At the risk of sounding insensitive, I greeted MJ's death with a shrug of the shoulders. Never been particularly struck by his music, millions of adulating fans notwithstanding. But, then again, I'm not a fan of Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and I could take or leave the Beatles. I do recognize that most of the music world and it's appointed critics have annointed the aforementioned with musical sainthood, subsequently reinforcing their status as icons and geniuses in the industry.

I guess being a great talent washes away a multitude of sins. If he wasn't guilty, why the payoff? Oh well...

My daughter's friend's mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I feel somewhat more empathetic for her.
The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so.
Mark Twain
rfa77

Postby LJH » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:22 pm

rfa77 wrote:At the risk of sounding insensitive, I greeted MJ's death with a shrug of the shoulders. Never been particularly struck by his music, millions of adulating fans notwithstanding. But, then again, I'm not a fan of Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and I could take or leave the Beatles. I do recognize that most of the music world and it's appointed critics have annointed the aforementioned with musical sainthood, subsequently reinforcing their status as icons and geniuses in the industry.

I guess being a great talent washes away a multitude of sins. If he wasn't guilty, why the payoff? Oh well...

My daughter's friend's mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I feel somewhat more empathetic for her.

Y'know, I could have written the above pretty much word for word, except for the 'take or leave' the Beatles. For me they were always a 'leave'. I simply couldn't stand 90% of their stuff, which in my generation puts me firmly in the 'freak' category. Ditto CSN(Y). Great songwriting without a doubt - but rock, country, R&B or any mixture there of, I won't buy music if I don't like the SOUND.

Now, POCO, the Eagles, Henley, TBS, Bob Seger, James Gang or Joe solo - bring it! I never get tired of that stuff.
Jorja

"Gittin' old ain't fer sissies."
LJH

Postby Straycat » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:04 pm

I just don't get this.....

Michael Jackson's death has led to skyrocketing sales of his music and videos, with major retailers like Amazon.com Inc. and Barnes and Noble Inc. selling out of products that have regained immense popularity overnight.

Bill Carr, Amazon's vice president of music and video, said Friday that once the world learned that the pop icon had died Thursday, the Web site sold out within minutes all CDs by Michael Jackson and by the Jackson 5 — the group Jackson and his four older brothers formed out of Gary, Ind., in the late '60s.

Sixty percent of Amazon's CD orders Thursday were for Michael Jackson music, something Carr called "stunning." He said he'd "never seen anything like this" before at Amazon after the death of a pop culture icon.

As of Friday afternoon, Jackson's albums accounted for all 10 of Amazon's "Bestsellers in Music" list, with the 25th anniversary edition of the celebrated "Thriller" album taking the top spot.

Meanwhile, Barnes and Noble's Web site and retail stores are currently sold out of most Jackson CDs, DVDs and books, Chief Merchandising Officer Jaime Carey said. Like Amazon, its 10 bestselling CDs were Jackson titles.

Both companies said they were working to get the products back in stock.

Apple Inc. would not describe the level of demand for Jackson's music at its iTunes online store, but his dominance of iTunes' top-seller lists Friday speaks for itself.

Around the time of Jackson's death, only one of his albums ranked in the top 100 on iTunes in the United States. By Friday morning, eight of the top 10 albums were Jackson's. An "Essential" collection of Jackson's songs compiled by Apple's iTunes music team was the top-selling album, followed by "Thriller."

Five of Jackson's singles made it to iTunes' list of most-purchased tracks — "Man in the Mirror," "Thriller," "The Way You Make Me Feel," "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," and "Smooth Criminal" — in what may be one of the best barometers to gauge his most popular songs.

With Amazon sold out of Jackson CDs, Carr said many customers were buying Jackson's music in digital form. Sales of Jackson-related videos are also up on Amazon — Carr said most DVDs, including the 1978 movie musical "The Wiz," are currently out of stock.

Carr said it was difficult to say whether the increased sales would persist, saying Amazon for now was taking things "minute by minute" and reacting to customers' orders.

"They love him, he's a legend, and they're anxious to make sure they have his music in their collections," he said.
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby TonyNYC » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:16 pm

Yes, good to see you posting again, Dave, and there's no arguing with you about the kind of recognition and attention that all our veterans' deserve regardless of what kind of mourning people do for MJ...

Still some of the things people posted seem misguided to me: I mean, just because someone is NOT blessed with talent or good fortune doesn't mean they're granted the right to be judgmental in my mind and I don't think we know for sure what Michael did or didn't do (no, I don't believe because he paid somebody off was proof that he was guilty and I was surprised that there were only two accusations that I know of) and it seemed to me that he could have done whatever he wanted with his good fortune or talent since it was his talent and good fortune to use and/or waste and while he may not be your favorite performer it seems like he sure emant a lot to a lot of people

But mostly I'm thinking that besides all the people mourning in public, he probably has some friends and family who are feeling sad and empty and miss him and they could use some love and mercy and peace right about now.
TonyNYC

Postby Kim » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:40 am

rfa77 wrote:At the risk of sounding insensitive, I greeted MJ's death with a shrug of the shoulders. Never been particularly struck by his music, millions of adulating fans notwithstanding. But, then again, I'm not a fan of Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and I could take or leave the Beatles. I do recognize that most of the music world and it's appointed critics have annointed the aforementioned with musical sainthood, subsequently reinforcing their status as icons and geniuses in the industry.

For me personally John Lennon's death really did have an impact on me.

I understand your later sentiments which are taken out of context and subject. But I am also in the same position with my own mother who has a similar illness.
Kim

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion