Sky Saxon RIP

Discuss the band.

Sky Saxon RIP

Postby Straycat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:50 pm

It's been a bad, bad day...."(Gram Parsons)

Sky Saxon, founder of the brilliant ’60s garage band the Seeds, died Thursday morning at St. David’s Hospital.

The newly minted Austinite, born Richard Marsh, was hospitalized Monday with what doctors suspected was an infection of the internal organs, but cause of death has not yet been released.

Saxon fell ill last Thursday, but performed at Saturday at Antone’s with recent Austin collaborators Shapes Have Fangs.

Sky’s wife Sabrina Saxon posted news of his passing on Facebook this morning: “Sky has passed over and YaHoWha is waiting for him at the gate. He will soon be home with his Father. I’m so sorry I couldn’t keep him here with us. More later. I’m sorry.”

We are sorry as well.

Saxon was the founder of the Seeds, one of the all-time great first-wave garage rock bands. If the Rolling Stones was the sound of five British guys trying to imitate Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf and failing in new and strange ways, ’60s garage rock was the sound of American kids trying to imitate the Stones and (similarly, brilliantly) missing the mark.

The Seeds fell together in 1965 around a core of Saxon and guitarist Jan Savage with keyboardist Daryl Hooper and drummer Rick Andridge. The bands’s first couple of singles — ‘Can’t Seem To Make You Mine’ and ‘Pushin’ Too Hard’ — are ’60s punk classics, snotty and fuzzy and brief. Check out their first two albums — ‘The Seeds’ and ‘A Web of Sound,’ both from that magic rock year 1966 — for perfect examples of proto-psychedelic roar.

After a few more records, Saxon broke up the Seeds in 1970, joined the spiritual commune the Source Family, adopted the name Sunlight and played with the Source Family band YaHoWha 13 now and then.

He continuted to make albums since with various lineups, distributing his music via the Internet at http://www.skysaxon.com. He came to Austin in March for the second annual Psych Fest and never really left, according to his publicist, keeping a very low profile until recently.
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Re: Sky Saxon RIP

Postby studiogirl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:56 pm

A rather sad bit of news. I have my 45 of "Pushin' Too Hard". What a great garage band that was!!

Not a good day for the entertainment world....
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby jimmym » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:27 pm

I loved Sky Saxon and the Seeds. What a sad day this has been!

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby Jeff Fin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Sky and the Seeds were just geering up to go on tour this summer with The Electric Prunes....was called 'The Summer of 66 Tour'......
Jeff Fin

Postby MsUp » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:05 pm

:cry: :cry: Very sad day, indeed !
MsUp

Postby randall » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 am

:(
randall

Postby Dar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:06 am

been a bad week,so sad :(