Poconut Project- JULY What should we do?

Discuss the band.

Poconut Project- JULY What should we do?

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 pm

I believe Studiogirl hinted at doing "Ride the Country". Last night I stumbled on a really nice version of "Into The Mystic", which I think qualifies because Paul covered it so nicely. The only trick about covering Van Morrison is that he will have it removed if you don't credit "Exile Music" in the info pane.

Into the mystic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQMJxLxf7MI

Also, (yeah I'm stretching a bit), Bee Gees. (Okay, stretching a lot!) But it was covered by Joplin and Gram Parsons-Burrito Bros. Here is a nifty acoustic version by Ray LaMontagne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJwBaYAtcM Too "folky"? Too mushy?

Anyway, the field is open for suggestions.

:?:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Re: Poconut Project- JULY What should we do?

Postby kroney » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:27 pm

I realize that I am not a participant but I am a very avid follower of this project and I enjoy all that has been done by everyone.......I thought this morning what a great choice "Midnight Rain" would be for July.....Just sayin'......I think Danny would love working on the psg part.....

Also thought how great it would be if someone could post the chords (tabs) for the various selections so those of us who dabble but are not ready for prime-time would have something to play around with and maybe someday feel confident enough to participate.....

Just a thought..... :idea: :idea:
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby Bonnie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Also thought how great it would be if someone could post the chords (tabs) for the various selections so those of us who dabble but are not ready for prime-time would have something to play around with and maybe someday feel confident enough to participate.....

I think this is a great idea! It is through this project that I have learned Keep On Tryin' and Magnolia. I don't know how to do the posting thing, and, like you, I am not ready for prime time. But it is so much fun to watch and listen to the postings.

Ride the Country would be fun. Or Pickin Up the Pieces, You Better Think Twice, Go and Say Goodbye, Child's Claim to Fame, Brass Buttons, Blue Water, Crazy Eyes, Kind Woman, Crazy Love, Old Forgiver, Rose of Cimarron, Faith in the Families....There is just too much to choose from!
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby keefsdad99 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:02 pm

I was thinking it might be nice if we stick to Poco written songs, and I am guilty of doing Magnolia already.
But there are so many that I love, it's hard for me to pick. I must admit I don't have any of the newer stuff.
keefsdad99

Postby greggroyce » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:54 pm

I understand that a song of the month was originally proposed but I believe any Poco
song could be submitted /duplicated by others and enjoyed by all. So how about a
Poconuts personal favorite for July? We might see and hear some cool selections.
Just a thought.

I've been working on "Bad Weather" It's kinda the state of mind I'm in these days
and I would love to post it if thats cool.
"What, you get a free bowl of soup with that hat? Hey, looks good on you though."
greggroyce

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:33 am

greggroyce wrote:I understand that a song of the month was originally proposed but I believe any Poco
song could be submitted
I've been working on "Bad Weather" It's kinda the state of mind I'm in these days

Hey Gregg, I think I messed up your post, but I think it is fair game to post anything! I have few in the wings. As a matter of fact, I've been itching to post one of Paul's songs, "Do What You Do".

Its a beautiful song, and out of the standards I would expect from the masses. Yet, I will post it! Therefore, you should feel completely comfortable posting, "Bad Weather" whether we are going that direction or not!

Gregg, please post. Its inspirational to all of us!

Mark
Bogeyfire

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 am

greggroyce wrote:... So how about a
Poconuts personal favorite for July? We might see and hear some cool selections.
Just a thought.

I think this is a good idea. I bet we all have a Poco song or two in our repertoire. I think it would be great to get as many of those puppies out as we can this month. I think there are a number of good reasons for this.

I know Alex has a big hurdle to learn how to work his new machine. Then most of the rest of us need to get a little more savvy in recording / posting these gems! So, let's take the pressure off of learning songs and get out what we already know, and if you know a bunch, post 'em all! A mixed bag will make for interesting listening.
:mrgreen:
August, maybe we will be ready to learn and focus on set projects, or maybe we will choose to keep it loose, following our own paths. Whatever it takes to keep it interesting for those involved so the "project" doesn't die.

Other thoughts?
Bogeyfire

Postby Bogeyfire » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:06 pm

So, where'd all you Rusty, Cotton pickin' Poconuts go? Anyone like the above idea about July? This is a chance to post any and all the Poco stuff we already know. We don't need to learn anything specific. Whatever we know, let's record it and post it. Then next month we can get on the same page and course through this together.

Is it a plan? If so, I'll probably do my bastardized "Bad Weather" and Paul's "Do What You Do".

Fyi, I finally recorded "Magnolia". I think I can live with it. Hopefully, I can mix / process it tonight and post tomorrow.
:mrgreen:
Bogeyfire

Postby greggroyce » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Sounds like a good plan Mark. I'm laying down the guitar parts to "Bad Weather" tonite
in my studio but my "state of the art" air conditioning system (a small piece of junk from Wally-World) decided to shoot craps today!. So I will definitely be recording in "Bad Weather" so it seems.. :lol: btw.. Looking forward to hearing your postings also. 8-)
"What, you get a free bowl of soup with that hat? Hey, looks good on you though."
greggroyce

Postby Bonnie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Looking forward to your Magnolia, Bogey. I think doing a personal favorite for July is a good idea. I don't have equipment, nor do I know how to get videos on the internet, but if I could, I would probably do A Child's Claim to Fame. I am looking forward to listening to everyone's postings.
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Next

Return to Poco Discussion