Stagecoach Videos

Discuss the band.

Re: Stagecoach Videos

Postby MsUp » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:49 am

randall wrote:Was wondering also about the rights to publish such a video. I mean its probably a concern as Alex has expressed while at the Maverick when they initially asked about the recording. I mean its probably ok for personal use and probably ok for charity. There may be some issues with Tim, and his Eagle connection. Just a thought.

I use to know someone, who always claimed: 'there's no such thing as problems, only solutions'.
I already have a wonderful DVD of all the YouTube 'poor quality' videos, from The Stagecoach (and I'm tickled pink with it). Would I like an improved, continuous video, of the show (?) YES of course, would I like it if GG got some help from the sales (?) YES of course. I'm sure that Alex & 'Poco' will come to an agreement. If Poco had wanted this to be filmed, even just OK, they could have had someone filming it (Jim had someone there). I would have done it, Peter would have done it, Keith & Linda would have done it, we had the equiptment to do a great job, but left it all behind, because of the venue's restrictions.
Good luck to Alex & Carolyn, most of us back you on your mission, and are ready to show our support for Poco & Co., especially for George Grantham. I can't still imagine how bad your arms must have felt, Alex, after holding that camera over your head threw it all. I have filmed entire Poco shows with hand held video camera, but able to rest it, or my arm, on something fixed, and even that kills. Kudos to you, man.
MsUp

Postby kroney » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:01 am

I'm sure there are issues that could be raised by someone if they really want to....however given the situation (benefiting George) I can't see it happening......
Go with it.....I'm in for whatever......
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby randall » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 am

Don't get me wrong. I want this as much as anyone. Luckily this is Poco we are talking about. And the hearts and souls of this band are the best in the business. I hope for all involved that this becomes reality. I am in for sure. I for one also enjoy the video received from Dennis for the Stagecoach performance and was more than happy to donate. Here's hoping this works out, I surely can't think of a better heart felt thought by Alex and for that matter a more worthy cause.
randall

Postby studiogirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 am

I don't think there would be any issues...the videos are already out there for public viewing. If this were to be a profit-making venture, it might be different, but essentially, the video is being given away, not sold. If anyone or any entity might claim ownership, it would likely be the Stagecoach Festival itself. They covered themselves by disallowing (in print) videotaping and/or filming. But it was their personnel (hired or volunteer) who did not prevent cameras from being brought onto the premises.

I think permissions are a moot point in this endeavor. However, it costs nothing (but risk) to ask....
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby randall » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:14 pm

studiogirl wrote:I don't think there would be any issues...the videos are already out there for public viewing. If this were to be a profit-making venture, it might be different, but essentially, the video is being given away, not sold. If anyone or any entity might claim ownership, it would likely be the Stagecoach Festival itself. They covered themselves by disallowing (in print) videotaping and/or filming. But it was their personnel (hired or volunteer) who did not prevent cameras from being brought onto the premises.

I think permissions are a moot point in this endeavor. However, it costs nothing (but risk) to ask....

I think your probably right. And I for one am sure hoping this becomes reality. Can't wait to see the hard work Alex put in on a quality DVD. And the Maverick footage is a real bonus.
By the way those are some snappy socks in that avatar. Hot Topic maybe?
randall

Postby MsUp » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:03 pm

studiogirl wrote:I don't think there would be any issues...the videos are already out there for public viewing. If this were to be a profit-making venture, it might be different, but essentially, the video is being given away, not sold. If anyone or any entity might claim ownership, it would likely be the Stagecoach Festival itself. They covered themselves by disallowing (in print) videotaping and/or filming. But it was their personnel (hired or volunteer) who did not prevent cameras from being brought onto the premises.

I'm guessing I should try longer socks, like this Ramone's fan. Wonder if it worked for her (BTW, I loved The Ramones).
MsUp

Postby studiogirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 pm

randall wrote:By the way those are some snappy socks in that avatar.

Thank you!

MsUp wrote:(BTW, I loved The Ramones)

I still do.... ;)
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby AlexInRI » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:38 pm

I just spent 20 minutes writing up a very thoughtful post and hit the wrong key and lost it. I hate it when that happens!

I'll try to recap my thoughts. I'm very respectful about rights issues. I have friends and relatives who make their living in music and I know what a challenge it is to retain ownership of your property. I don't steal music and I don't condone it.

That being said, I think Poco knows the only market for this material are the true believers who will buy as much material as they can market. This year I've been to three Poco shows (two that I had to travel cross country to attend) and I'll be at three more shows in the near future, not including the Richie show at the end of August. The Jones Beach show should be the highlight of my summer.

If Poco indicated to me either publicly or privately they did not want this done I would obviously not do it. They would never say it's ok to do because that would run afoul of the Stagecoach Festival. So unless they (or one of the Granthams) tell me not to do this it will happen.

Now-just a few words about the video. At Maverick I was sitting in the fifth row and it was easy to handle the camera. The lighting was superb and it came out great. At Stagecoach I had a great spot staked out on top of a hay bale. Just before Poco hit the stage five people jumped on my hay bale. So plan B-hold my ground and lift the camera up over the head of the very nice but large gentleman in front of me. That worked fine until my arms got tired so some of the video is a little jiggly. Some of that is also because I couldn't resist dancing to the music. I was wearing socks.

I haven't had time to burn a DVD yet and watch it on the big screen. My life is pretty chaotic even in the best of times. I will get to that in the next few days. If the quality is degraded, I have a friend who has a recording studio and he's also a video expert. I could work a barter with him as I sell stuff he needs. I know he needs a new office chair that he can't afford and I could offer him that. I'll keep you all posted over the next few days.
AlexInRI

Postby kroney » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Alex, You are amazing.....so glad to have you in the family....
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby randall » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:20 pm

kroney wrote:Alex, You are amazing.....so glad to have you in the family....

What Kroney said
randall

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion