Stagecoach Videos

Discuss the band.

Re: Stagecoach Videos

Postby MsUp » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 pm

[quote="AlexInRI"]I've been holding off on this for a couple of reasons. The first was that the site was transitioning and I never knew when the old one would be off the air. The other was that I needed time to come up with a plan.

I recorded the entire Stagecoach concert in HD and I've created a video that works pretty seamlessly. I turned record off after every song (except for a couple where they ran the songs together) and when I edited it together it works really well.There are issues with the backlighting but I spent a lot of time focusing on George and when I did closeups the quality was fine. The audio is all pretty nice. No distortion and pretty clean.

Now, heres the real kicker, I also recorded a lot of the Maverick concert and some of the afternoon rehearsal. That video is awesome as the lighting was great. I've got them running through several songs with Tim in the afternoon. One of the "crew" saw me taping and nearly ran me out of the room. He was protecting Jimmy's interests as he had his own film crew there. That night I stated recording when Tim came onstage and I recorded a lot of that show. I kept expecting the "crew" guy to come over and hit me but he never did. I even got a great shot of Richie when he realized they were going to play On The Way Home for the encore. That was a total surprise to Richie and the video of that moment is priceless.

I've been planning to package this somehow as part of a George fundraiser. Dennis had the right idea when he asked people to donate as part of his very generous offer to duplicate the DVD he had. I've asked several Poconuts for suggestions but I'm leaning toward a general fundraiser with a goal in mind.

I'm open to ideas and I might be able to set this up as a download using a file share system such as Pando. But before I distribute it I'd like to meet the fundraising goal. As soon as I start sending it out these will start popping up on Youtube and then the incentive to donate to receive it will dissolve.

Alex, this is just AWESOME news !
I am in it, and will pay anything for a DVD of this footage (I'm not good with uploading / dowloading videos). You can feel free to use any / all of my pictures (from the event) for the packaging (anything for George Grantham & Poco). If I can be of any help, please e-mail me.

sockless Claudia :D

P.S. You should plan on packaging the DVD 'with Kleenex'.
MsUp

Postby studiogirl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm

AlexInRI wrote: But before I distribute it I'd like to meet the fundraising goal. As soon as I start sending it out these will start popping up on Youtube and then the incentive to donate to receive it will dissolve.

Ideas anyone?

That's more or less why the Poconut cookbook of a few years ago was not made available as a download -- well, not popping up on YouTube, but popping up on copied CDs. I recognize the appeal of the cookbook is much less broad than that of a Maverick/Stagecoach DVD. However, even as we were walking out of the Stagecoach festival, Alex and I talked about doing just that...figuring out a way to put the cookbook back to work to raise funds for George G. (He had not viewed his videos yet....)

Downloads are the easiest, least expensive and least labor-intensive way to distribute media products, but once something is downloaded, as Alex notes, any control over the distribution of the product ceases to exist.

A couple of ideas I've been kicking around are the price to purchase and making it available for only a limited time. I think combining these elements might make it feasible. The purchase price to download needs to be high enough to help compensate for the small number that would get bootlegged. And making downloads available for only a limited amount of time, paid for in advance, would probably help reduce the bootlegging as well. Or so I think (hope).

My basic idea is that any media product to be downloaded, video or cookbook (as a PDF), would be announced a couple of months in advance. Buyers would make their purchases (however that works...credit cards, PayPal, etc.) in advance of the release date, get a code or identifier of some kind, and then, on the prescribed date, you enter your code and begin your download. The downloads would be available for a limited amount of time...say 30 days. At the end of that time, the products would be removed/no longer available for download...at least until some future time for another round. This could be done a couple of or a few times a year.

My ideas are pretty broad and need refinement. I know next to nothing about how to go about this, but there are plenty 'Nuts out there who are knowledgeable about servers and downloads. Maybe there's something in this that could lead to making it work.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Airboss » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:49 pm

IF something's available- lets get it out sooner than later. I think the fundraiser for George is a great idea but don't let this pass by (pun intended) as the magic of the moment can be fleeting.
Airboss

Postby duffyb » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Video downloads will have to be reduced in size and therefore not be the highest quality video. DVD's are better for this.
duffyb

Postby AlexInRI » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:53 pm

I've thought about this a lot and I'd discussed it with Studiogirl at one point too. I decided to wait because of the uncertainty of the .com site. Now that we've settled in with the .org I believe the time is right.

I'm going to set up a special email address where people could make their pledges in private. There would be no "price" but a whatever you could afford policy. Perhaps if you're not adversly affected by the recession you could pledge a minimum of $20.00 but if you are having hard times, pledge what you can. I'd be willing to pay for the DVD's and pony up the packaging. The postage could add up to quite a bit of money however. I'm uncomfortable handling the money so all checks would have to be sent directly to George. I don't know how much it costs to mail a DVD in a jewel case. I'll effort that soon to see how much it will cost me. If it's reasonable I could donate that too.

I'd like to set a reasonable goal for this. Do you think $2000.00 is too large a goal? I would collect the names and addresses via email and then when we reach the goal, DVD's could be mailed. This is going to be a little bit of work so I don't want people to be impatient. I wasn't really prepared to do this now but I feel like timing is important. There are a lot of Poco shows coming up (and I'll be at three or four of them) and we could spread the word of mouth about this. I'm sure George can use the cash as his quality of life improves.

I originally made these recordings for George's daughter Grace. I posted the youtubes that starred George for her and I shared them with youall after she had seen them. I have not discussed this fundraiser idea with her (or Debbie or George) but I'm assuming she'd approve. If I thought she wouldn't I would not have made this proposal.

I'll think more on this and feel free to post your ideas. Your input is appreciated.
AlexInRI

Postby TonyNYC » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me and $20-$25 seems more than reasonable to me, but then I don't know how much it would cost per DVD or how many people would contribute.

It also sounds like a super generous offer on your part too, Alex.
TonyNYC

Postby studiogirl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Alex...I have some useful data from the cookbook project. I'd like to brainstorm by phone...but, I'm doing my whirling dervish act as I get ready to go on vacation Thursday...which means packing one vehicle for two weeks for three other people, and packing mine -- we're going to different destinations. (Yes, I am completely nuts.) However, once I'm on the road, I have nothing but time, so I'll call you. (Hands-free, of course!)

I've got things in place (as you do) to handle some or maybe even much of the administrative/clerical stuff. I had a tough time with the cookbooks (as the whole world knows) -- mainly the cost of printing -- but was modestly successful for my first time out trying. So maybe some of what I've got will help get things started.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby darrelp » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 am

Gee, has anyone thought to ask Poco about this. Whether positive or negative, I think they might have a point-of-view.
darrelp

Postby MsUp » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:12 am

darrelp wrote:Gee, has anyone thought to ask Poco about this. Whether positive or negative, I think they might have a point-of-view.

That's a very good question, and since most of them (Poco) read this message board, I'm sure we will hear from them, if they aren't happy about it. Since they haven't asked that any of the poor quality videos be removed from YouTube, I'm guessing that they may be happy with; a good quality DVD, of the show, just for themselves, as well as the profits going to benefit George Grantham. The band still shares the sales of Poco merchandise with George, and they befriend him at every opportunity (these are good men, no, they are great men).
MsUp

Postby randall » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:10 am

Was wondering also about the rights to publish such a video. I mean its probably a concern as Alex has expressed while at the Maverick when they initially asked about the recording. I mean its probably ok for personal use and probably ok for charity. There may be some issues with Tim, and his Eagle connection. Just a thought.
randall

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion