PBS - Nova - "Musical Minds"

Discuss the band.

PBS - Nova - "Musical Minds"

Postby studiogirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 pm

I watched this show tonight and was totally enthralled. Brain function, plasticity, neurology...are things few of us deal with on a day-to-day basis. I know some of the 'Nuts have neurological issues to deal with in their families. This show was all about music and brain function, and the therapeutic effects it can have.

-- A blind, autistic young man is a musical savant -- he can play anything he hears after listening once, but can go way beyond mere replication, playing scales and developing motifs all around the core music.

-- An orthopedic surgeon with no musical training and a taste for rock and roll is struck by lightning and becomes a composer and classical pianist.

-- A young man with Tourette's Syndrome (mostly tics, not outbursts) does not experience the tics while drumming, and even better, is working with others suffering the same symptoms to help them find ways to step outside the confines of their neurological constraints.

I was simply stunned and deeply moved. Music is something whose depths and benefits we really cannot fathom. But it is making a HUGE difference in the lives of some people who truly might have ended up in institutions or worse.

It was one of the most uplifting things I've ever watched.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Re: PBS - Nova - "Musical Minds"

Postby kroney » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:07 am

Thanks SG....I'll be sure to watch for the replay....Music has always been the best therapy for me.....Maybe it's why people who stutter can sing without any stuttering...i.e. Mel Tillis
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby studiogirl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:25 am

kroney wrote:Maybe it's why people who stutter can sing without any stuttering...i.e. Mel Tillis

I mentioned exactly that to George when the show first started...it's along those lines, but this particular show is about much more problematic neurological problems (not that stuttering is not serious...but this show is about "extreme" stuff).

And I agree that music is the best therapy for me. It's interesting how music engages the mind.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby severalpieces » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:58 am

I saw the interview with the author (who's name I of course, don't recall) on The Daily Show the other night and I was fascinated, but, didn't see the program. I will catch the rerun for sure!
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby mcdtj » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:25 pm

I hope school board members all across this country caught the show---might make them think twice about cutting funding for music programs.
mcdtj

Postby aceinoc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 am

I find music to be the best therapy for life's stresses...which is one of the main reasons why I play. Thanks for sharing Carolyn and hope you have a great road trip.

8-)
'I don't know where we are going, but I'm on my way.'
aceinoc

Return to Poco Discussion