iPod troubles

Discuss the band.

iPod troubles

Postby Mystic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Recently a friend gave my family her used iPod shuffle. Last night I got around to reading the instructions and trying to make it work. It has been nothing but trouble so far. It took all night to reset/reformat the device, attached to my computer in the ISB port. Now I'm trying to manually load tunes from my collection onto the iPod, and am having great difficulty. None of the directions, either with the iPod itself, or in iTunes (I downloaded the latest version [8.2.0.23]), make a bit of sense. They ask me to do things that I can't figure out how to do.

A couple Chrristmasses ago, we got my daughter a plain old MP3 player. That thing is child's play compared to an iPod. Can anyone help me with this crazy thing?
Mystic

Re: iPod troubles

Postby duffyb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:45 pm

I've had many mp3 players and have found the iPod to be the easiest to use by far. There are system requirements. If you are using a Mac, make sure you have the correct version of Mac OS/X to run it. There are minimum system requirements for a PC also.

The iPod should show up in the left column of iTunes under 'Devices just below 'Store.' Click on it to get further instructions and to register it. You may have to de-authorize from the previous owner and register it in the name of the new owner to be able to transfer songs. Use the 'Restore' button. Also, hit the 'Check for Updates' button.

If you don't even see the iPod in iTunes a Mac will usually tell you why. See what shuffle version you have and check the system requirements:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/c ... specs.html

User manuals can be found at http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipodshuffle.

Good luck and let me know how it goes or ask the questions of the instructions you don't understand.

I don't sych my iPod, I select, on the main page in iTunes under Options; ' Manage music manually' and I drag the songs, albums or playlists to the iPod icon.
duffyb

Postby Mystic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Okay, I think I got it figured out now, and I was able to convert a lot of tunes and move them manually to the iPod. It's only 1 GB, and I have 3.5 GB on my computer, so I had to make a lot of hard choices--not nearly enough of anyone, especially Poco. someday if I have money to burn :lol: I'll have to get a 4 GB player to hold everything!
Mystic

Postby duffyb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:35 pm

The iPod shuffle was made for quick tips or jogs. Buy a new Mac before Sept 8 and get a 4Gb iPod Touch free!
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campai ... NjcxMTQ3Nw
Last edited by duffyb on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
duffyb

Postby Mystic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Well, I thought I had it figured out. It's charged, it's loaded, but I can't get it to play. Harumph. :?
Mystic

Postby duffyb » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Make sure you don't have it on 'lock.' When you see orange next to the power switch, it's locked. Move it and it should play.
duffyb

Postby Mystic » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:11 am

I didn't see any orange at all, except for the status light when it's plugged into my USB, as it is now.
Mystic

Return to Poco Discussion