Re: Fess Parker dies at 85

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 am

Dave Densmore wrote:Born in the mountains of Tennessee
Free-ist land in the land of the free
Growed up in the woods so he knew every tree
Killed him a bear when he was only three
Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the wild frontier

RIP, Fessmeister.

That was the first that came to mind when I saw this on the news. I still remember the song.

My favorite episode was Mike Fink and the river boat race.

A life long fan of John Wayne, when I first visited the Alamo, it was Fess I pictured fightin' till the end, not The Duke.

In third grade, I had a Davy Crockett lunch box.

He was a big part of my childhood. So long Davy.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby voycefm » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 am

Christy and I visit the Solvang/Los Olivas area quite a bit. We have had lunch at Mr. Parker's restaurant that is part of his hotel and spa. It was not unusual to see him and Mrs. Parker, along with their huge poodle (think small horse) lying beneath their table as they enjoyed lunch. The staff said he and his wife came in everyday for lunch. He would then spend a little time walking around and greeting guests. They also hosted weekly piano bar affairs in the lobby of the hotel. Mrs. Parker would sing and Mr,. Parker would join in now and then. It was open to the public, and most people there seemed like old friends. Nice memories.

And, of course, as Davey Croakette, I have a special place in hy heart for him.

Rest well, Mr. Parker. Thanks for the good times.
"God bless us, every one"
Tiny Tim
voycefm

Postby studiogirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:10 am

voycefm wrote:Christy and I visit the Solvang/Los Olivas area quite a bit.

Let me know the next time you're planning to visit the area...I'll treat you to lunch in Santa Barbara!

Or you can come over and sit in MY back yard...and I'll play a Richie CD for you. Don't think I could swing getting him and his band here on short notice.
;)
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Clay basket » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Netflix has a 50th Anniversary Double Feature DVD, River Pirates and King of the Wild Frontier.
It mentions how he could "grin down bears" ...I remember now!
Clay basket

Postby MA_nut » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:26 pm

There is a classic old film of Fess Parker on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson from the 1960s. Fess was showing Johnny and the audience how well he could throw an axe at a cardboard Indian. Fess wound up and hit the cardboard Inidian right between the legs. The audience exploded in laughter. Fess tried to run off stage, but Johnny held onto him, waited for the laughter to quiet down and said to Fess, "I didn't know the Indian was Jewish." More laughter. I'm sure many of you have seen that clip. It is usually on Classic Carson shows periodically. Also, there is much about it now that would be so politically incorrect.
MA_nut

Postby pocojim » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:38 pm

voycefm wrote:Christy and I visit the Solvang/Los Olivas area quite a bit. We have had lunch at Mr. Parker's restaurant that is part of his hotel and spa. It was not unusual to see him and Mrs. Parker, along with their huge poodle (think small horse) lying beneath their table as they enjoyed lunch. The staff said he and his wife came in everyday for lunch. He would then spend a little time walking around and greeting guests. They also hosted weekly piano bar affairs in the lobby of the hotel. Mrs. Parker would sing and Mr,. Parker would join in now and then. It was open to the public, and most people there seemed like old friends. Nice memories.

We've also been to the winery on numerous occasions and stayed at the Inn for our anniversary one year. We're members of the wine club, always look forward to the shipments arriving. Those things will go on, but we'll miss Fess.

Jim
pocojim

Postby Bogeyfire » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 pm

MA_nut wrote:There is a classic old film of Fess Parker on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson from the 1960s. Fess was showing Johnny and the audience how well he could throw an axe at a cardboard Indian. Fess wound up and hit the cardboard Inidian right between the legs. The audience exploded in laughter. Fess tried to run off stage, but Johnny held onto him, waited for the laughter to quiet down and said to Fess, "I didn't know the Indian was Jewish." More laughter. I'm sure many of you have seen that clip. It is usually on Classic Carson shows periodically. Also, there is much about it now that would be so politically incorrect.

I remember watching that live. It was really, really funny. However, that wasn't Fess Parker. That was his sidekick Ed Ames from Parker's tv show, Daniel Boone. Ed Ames was a singer, but played Boone's Indian friend and scout.

I watched the Carson episode with my mother. Our sides hurt, we laughed so hard! I don't know how Johnny could keep a straight face. Johnny's last line is the ultimate in comedic timing. RIP Fess Parker, Johnny Carson, and Ed Ames too, if he is gone!
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:19 am

Since thinking about Ed Ames, I had to do a little research. Apparently, he is alive and well, living in Studiogirl's backyard, Santa Ynez.
Wikipedia- He continues to be actively involved in plays like South Pacific, Camelot and Fiddler on the Roof. He continues to make TV show and concert appearances. Today, he lives in Santa Ynez, California. Before Fess Parker's death in 2010, Ames often visited his Daniel Boone co-star, who lived only 15 minutes away.

At the age of 82, Ames, saying "I am a secular Jew, but I feel strongly about Israel and the Jewish communities of Europe", became president of the Zionist Organization of America's Los Angeles chapter.

Despite the sincerity of his activism, doesn't this make Johnny Carson's funny comment with the "tomahawk incident" funnier? Keep on kicking, Mr. Ames!
Image Image

Ed Ames singing with Johnny Cash:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion