Michael Webb w/Brooklyn Cowboys

Discuss the band.

Michael Webb w/Brooklyn Cowboys

Postby Straycat » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:04 pm

The Cowboys include classic songwriter Walter Egan, who has also sung and played guitar or bass in many bands, from a surf group called the Malibooz to the jazz-rock ensemble Spirit; steel guitarist Buddy Cage, who replaced Jerry Garcia in the New Riders of the Purple Sage; bass player Jeff "Stick" Davis from the hit-making Amazing Rhythm Aces; Knoxville, Tennessee's Brian Waldschlager, who is remembered (not to say notorious) for his work with the bands 5 Bucks and Shinola, and Michael Webb, who, having worked with Stacey Earle, B.J. Thomas, and Allison Moorer, among others, is one of Nashville's top session and touring keyboardists.

The band was born in 1996 when singer, writer and guitarist Walter Egan met writer and drummer Fredro Perry in that hotbed of roots and alt-country known as Brooklyn, New York. Egan (best known for his five solo albums, his mega-smash hit Magnet and Steel, as well as his song Hearts on Fire recorded by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris), was engaged by Perry to help him record some of his award-winning songs. The sessions went so well that the were soon rehearsing weekly to prepare material for public display. When Egan jokingly suggested they call themselves the Flatbush Cowboys Fredro shot back "No, The Brooklyn Cowboys!" Such is the stuff of which legends are made. Soon the Brooklyn Cowboys were making waves on the country rock circuit throughout the Northeast, with their newest member Buddy Cage, legendary pedal steel player from The New Riders of the Purple Sage. Their rise was short-circuited in the summer of '97 when Egan departed for Nashville, Tennessee.

But the sounds were too strong to be kept down. The Brooklyn Cowboys reformed in Music City with an expanded lineup of all-stars. On bass guitar: Supe Granda of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils; on acoustic rhythm guitar and vocals: the wonderful Joy Lynn White; on keyboards: Michael Webb, doing what he's done so well for the likes of Stacey Earle, Neil Coty and the Dead Set. The Cowboys were joined in the studio (incidentally the same one Roy Orbison used to record) by the consummate fiddle player Vassar Clements; hot picker from Merle Haggard, Redd Volkaert; and the stunning young vocalist from the 5 Bucks, Brian Waldschlager. On top of all this, the revered player and producer Al Perkins (Burrito Bros., Gram Parsons, Manassas) produced them.

Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Re: Michael Webb w/Brooklyn Cowboys

Postby randall » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:36 pm

That's some mean Piano work. And the backing vocals not to shabby.
randall

Postby jerzeypocofan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:42 pm

I have the first Brooklyn Cowboys cd...I'll have to give it a spin tomorrow at work
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Straycat wrote:
...But the sounds were too strong to be kept down. The Brooklyn Cowboys reformed in Music City with an expanded lineup of all-stars. On bass guitar: Supe Granda of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils; on acoustic rhythm guitar and vocals: the wonderful Joy Lynn White; on keyboards: Michael Webb, doing what he's done so well for the likes of Stacey Earle, Neil Coty and the Dead Set...

Nice homework, Straycat! I see a Poconut relationship here. Supe Granda was a regular player with, and friend of our own 3PartHarmony, (Karen Crawford and Scott Neinhaus).
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby studiogirl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 am

Downright infectious!! Thanks, Stray.
:D
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby sunsetkidd » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:22 am

That was great!
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby mgraeff » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 am

Love it! That was just great! And the piano solo was awesome!

Margaret
mgraeff

Postby studiogirl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:23 am

mgraeff wrote:Love it! That was just great! And the piano solo was awesome!

Margaret

I was delighted to see Nicky Hopkins in Michael's list of musical influences (on his MySpace page). Some good ol' honky tonk piano is something I can never get enough of...especially when PSG, dobro, and banjo are part of the mix. Yeehaw!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Return to Poco Discussion