George Harrison Collection

Discuss the band.

George Harrison Collection

Postby MsUp » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:52 pm

:D :D For those who missed the earlier thread, that I started, there's new CD collection, of George Harrison's music, released June 16th. Can't wait to get mine. There is a nice article on the AOL news page, check it out.

If this link doesn't work, try it on the Current Events thread (that one still works).
http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/18/georg ... -legacy%2F
MsUp

Re: George Harrison Collection

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:41 pm

I was a bit disappointed with this new disc. There is a lot missing. I have everything Harrison has done so I don't need this one but for folks wanting a good sampling of Harrisin's work without buying his entire catalogue I think this comp. leaves the listener short changed. In my opinion the now out of print best of Dark Horse was a better comp. The new disc would have been better as a 2 disc set. A few rare tracks would have been nice. Horse To Water and Here Comes The Sun from Saturday Night Live with Paul Simon, which are only available on other comp. discs should have been included. Too much from Bangla Desh was included where other Harrison material would have been a better fit.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby MsUp » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:10 pm

DrMichaelGalvin wrote:I was a bit disappointed with this new disc. There is a lot missing. I have everything Harrison has done so I don't need this one but for folks wanting a good sampling of Harrisin's work without buying his entire catalogue I think this comp. leaves the listener short changed. In my opinion the now out of print best of Dark Horse was a better comp. The new disc would have been better as a 2 disc set. A few rare tracks would have been nice. Horse To Water and Here Comes The Sun from Saturday Night Live with Paul Simon, which are only available on other comp. discs should have been included. Too much from Bangla Desh was included where other Harrison material would have been a better fit.

Dr. Galvin

But there is a very nice interview with Olivia Harrison. I ordered the collection, even though I have everything on it (go figure) ! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
MsUp

Postby ctlegend » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 pm

I have 2 George Harrison greatest hits CD`s.
Favorite song of his is 'Blow Away'. If I Needed Someone is a great song, but the Beatles version is rather bland compared to what Poco does with LIVE. They take that song to such a great level. Pauls guitar explodes!!! Rusty, Paul and Jack harmonize BETTER than (John, Paul and George the Beatles)
George H. inspired so many more guitar players than we can ever count, but some have done it better.... PC
No need for me to invest in another George Harrison CD. I have all I need.
ctlegend

Postby jerzeypocofan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:47 pm

I have a George Harrison compilation 2 disc set that a good poconut friend burned for
me containing Beatles and solo stuff..the new one is rather bland I'll pass until Olivia
and Dhani decide to release a nice boxed set of George's stuff with loads of unreleased
things like George singing "It Don't Come Easy".....Also Poco can't come near the original
version imo :lol:
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby MsUp » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 pm

jerzeypocofan wrote:I have a George Harrison compilation 2 disc set that a good poconut friend burned for
me containing Beatles and solo stuff..the new one is rather bland I'll pass until Olivia
and Dhani decide to release a nice boxed set of George's stuff with loads of unreleased
things like George singing "It Don't Come Easy".....Also Poco can't come near the original
version imo :lol:

You are always the voice of reason, Charlie. I agree with your last comment, although Poco do a bang-up job on 'If I Needed Someone'.
MsUp

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:57 pm

The Beatles never ever did anything bland.
I'd love to see a Harrison box set.
George Harrison is a very under rated guitar player. Aside from the short leads he was allowed to play with the Beatles (most of their songs were 3 minutes or less) he really came into his own post Beatles especially when he picked up the slide. He could make that guitar gently weep. Beautiful work on the Beatles reunion cut Freee As A Bird. Have seen an excellent live While My Guitar Gently Weeps on YouTube with Clapton, Ringo & Elton John. Harrison & Clapton trade some nice leads. Check it out.
Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby svin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm

The live stuff on the record are GH's huge Beatles songs.
There's a reason for that.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Postby ctlegend » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:59 am

Sorry Beatle lovers...
the success of the Beatles is well documented, but some of their songs are BLAND
ctlegend

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:42 am

Could you be more specific? I can not think of any Beatles song which I would consider even remotely bland. Some are much better than others but I can assure you none are bland. The worst of the Beatles is usually better than other bands best.

Dr. Galvin
DrMichaelGalvin

Next

Return to Poco Discussion