Poconut Project-June/Magnolia (post this or another song)

Discuss the band.

Re: Poconut Project-June/Magnolia (post this or another song)

Postby AlexInRI » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:50 pm

I always was bad with numbers. It's a Tascam 24 track system (8 in at a time). I don't know how I transposed that to 48. My employees gave me a Guitar Center gift certificate for my birthday and I had a little extra dinero lying around gathering dust so I figured what the heck. You only live once. Might as well get it over with.

Been real busy this week. Trying to catch up on work before I head for the land of Magnolia on Wednesday. If I see her I'll let you all know.
AlexInRI

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:15 pm

AlexInRI wrote:... Trying to catch up on work before I head for the land of Magnolia on Wednesday. If I see her I'll let you all know.

Alex, I believe she is somewhere out on the Pontchartrain!
:mrgreen:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby Jim_in_Arkansas » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:44 pm

Very, very nice!
Jim_in_Arkansas

Postby keefsdad99 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:20 am

greggroyce wrote:
keefsdad99 wrote:Very nice, Alex. I tried to post sooner but have had some trouble getting into this new paradise!
I got a fast track usb interface, I don't know if it sounds any better, but here's my Jakob Dylan cover..
The first one on the list;

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=384353

Wow! Jeff..That is the "nuts". The M-Audio unit sounds awesome not to mention your talent! 8-)

Thanks a lot, Gregg!
keefsdad99

Postby keefsdad99 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:24 am

Bogeyfire wrote:
keefsdad99 wrote:...but here's my Jakob Dylan cover...

Nice Jeff! Good song. I was learning a J. Dylan song that I really liked, but somehow got sidetracked. Someday I'll have to go back and nail that puppy down. It was "On Up The Mountain". Great song. One of his newer ones.

Thanks, buddy, yeah, he's really good, i didn't realize how good the lyrics were until i started learning it. Very sad, but very good.
keefsdad99

Postby Jiff » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:47 am

Enjoyed all the recordings, esp Alex' nifty guitar work, and in all the right places, on Magnolia.
Jiff

Postby Bogeyfire » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 am

The night before last I finally recorded my version of "Magnolia". I should be able to post Monday or Tuesday night. But then... Last night I saw poco in San Diego. Their rendition of "Magnolia" was stunning! It kind of makes me feel like doo-doo in comparison.

So, in case you missed it on the Del Mar Fair thread, here is the real deal from Sunday night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDC5Gjt ... annel_page

Bogeyfire

Postby Bonnie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:04 pm

Than was a brilliant performance from the Del Mar Fair. Thanks for posting that, Bogey. It looks/sounds like they stretched out a little on it last night. Magnolia is always a show stopper for Poco. I just love watching Rusty coax those beautiful notes out of the psg. What an artist!
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks Bonnie. I didn't really do anything, though. I'm just a witness. Damn, they were hot!
:D
Anyway, I listened to what I did with my version of "Magnolia". Yuck! It makes me cringe. I gotta redo. So, I don't want this thread for June to die just yet. I still plan to post a video of my "Magnolia" once I re-record.

Meanwhile, let's figure out July! I'll start a new thread.
Bogeyfire

Postby AlexInRI » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:03 am

keefsdad99 wrote:Very nice, Alex. I tried to post sooner but have had some trouble getting into this new paradise!
I got a fast track usb interface, I don't know if it sounds any better, but here's my Jakob Dylan cover..
The first one on the list;

Just got a chance to listen to your stuff Jeff. Amazing. Man, we got to get a Hoedown together. Great guitar work on all the tracks and you sing like a pro. Truly enjoyed it.

Although my brain isn't fully functioning yet, (I'm still in New Orleans and I've gone cold turkey on the alcohol the last 36 hours) I didn't see any other tracks posted. I'm looking forward to hearing more so don't worry about a June deadline. Get your Magnolias in folks.

I drove out to the prairie yesterday to visit an old friend. He's a prominent Cajun musician and he hosts a jam session every Saturday at his music store. I jammed with these really old guys-some of them had to be in their nineties. I swear to God. They could play and sing (all in French) with a ferocity that was almost scary. Although there were some younger players there, all the singers were ancient and it's sad to me that their music won't survive when they're gone. But I had such a good time playing with them.

In traditional Cajun music the guitar can't cut through the sound like a violin or an accordian. The guitar is more of a percussion instrument. I've played with them before so I was prepared for that and I had so much fun playing that style. They were surprised I knew my way around but I had been taught a long time ago by another Cajun guitar player so I knew what to expect.

If anyone lives in or around Louisiana or is ever passing through and would like to attend their Saturday morning jam sessions, check out Savoy Music Center in Eunice Louisiana. It's just north of Lafayette. Mark Savoy manufactures the best Cajun accoridans in the world. You can check out his website at http://www.savoymusiccenter.com.

Marc's wife is in Europe (she's the one who taught me about Cajun guitar-that was about 25 years ago). She recorded a great CD with Linda Ronstadt singing all Cajun songs (it's available on their website). Coincidentally enough, she's got a band called the Magnolia Sisters and they're touring Europe right now.
AlexInRI

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion