What are you Reading?

Discuss the band.

What are you Reading?

Postby Bogeyfire » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:18 am

Being dyslexic, I usually avoid reading. However, I've been reading a great book. Can't put it down! Its, "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall.
(No. It has nothing to do with music.)

If you've ever been a runner, or even just like a great true life adventure mixed with humor, century old Indian traditions, ultra marathon tales, marketing from Nike, evolution... Its a great story mixed with just enough science to make you think, wow, that's why we are the way we are!

If you have noticed a recent passion for ultra marathoners, (50 to 300 mile races), and a resurgence of barefoot or slipper running, this is what its all about. I know it doesn't sound captivating, but it is. My wife and I are competing over who has dibs on the book and she has never run a lick in her life. We think its great.

Here is an excerpt. Click on the book cover and scroll to about page 17 for Chapter 1 to start. Its a fun read!
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/111281/ ... w=excerpt/

So, what do I read when I'm done? Any good recommendations out there?
:?:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Re: What are you Reading?

Postby welder » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 am

Erskine Childers-"Riddle Of The Sands", 1903 espionage novel...no i haven't read it but someone recommended it saying it's great...
welder

Postby bluelarryblue » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 am

"Unbroken" by Laura Hildebrand. Bio of Louis Zamperini. He was a punk troublemaker who became an Olympic class runner. Then WW2 happeed and he became a bombadier in the Army Air Corp. Crashed in the Pacific, survived a month in a life raft to be captured and held in singularly brutal Japanese prison camps. He survived and returned to the states. The balance of his story upon return is equally compelling as is Hildebrand's writing style.

Speaking of her, she wrote "Seabiscuit" from which the movie was made several years ago starring Jeff Bridges and Tobey whatshisname (Spiderman). Between her writing style and the story itself I have read that book 3 times and will read it again soon.

But if you want something that will make you laugh and keep you entertained, get any book written by Carl Hiassen. "Tourist Season" comes to mind. I'm currently re-reading "Basket Case". He's a Florida journalist and the books are all set in FL. Some are funnier than others but his main characters are very cynical and the plot lines are frequently crazy. He wrote "Skin Tight" which was made into a movie several years ago but I didn't think that book was as good as the others.
bluelarryblue

Postby Jimohara » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 am

Daily Comic Strips.
Jimohara

Postby teddy77poconut » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am

Currently reading Jesus,Life Coach-an interesting book,indeed.
Peace,Love,POCO--i love the music and i love my Poconut Pals.
teddy77poconut

Postby MA_nut » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Life by Keith Richards. Very interesting.
MA_nut

Postby bluelarryblue » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:24 pm

I also read the Keith Richards book recently. "Interesting" is best description I would say, too. One might also say "disturbing", or "So THAT'S how certain rock stars get to be the way they are."
bluelarryblue

Postby MA_nut » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:33 pm

I would also agree with disturbing. I am about 100 pages in and I can see the roots of how he became the way he is. But, he does give a very good description of playing the guitar and the technical part of his descriptions (so far) are pretty good. The other stuff is pretty rough.
MA_nut

Postby Bradley » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Ricky Nelson: Idol For A Generation by Joel Selvin.
When everybody is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking. Dr. Johnny Fever
Bradley

Postby Quinn53 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:50 am

I read a book once.
Quinn53

Next

Return to Poco Discussion