Paul Cotton-Changing Horses

Discuss the band.

Paul Cotton-Changing Horses

Postby john44256 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Ok, I have firebird, But today I listened for the first time

Changing Horses and When the coast is clear

Which one did you like better?, Im leaning to The Coast is clear, good summertime music
I lost ten points just for being in the right place
at exactly the wrong time.
I looked right at the facts there, but I may as well have
been completely blind.-
Gene Clark
john44256

Re: Paul Cotton-Changing Horses

Postby Mystic » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Coast, but Changing Horses is good, too--two different sounds. Horses is very late 80s--lots of electronic stuff that doesn't always go over well today, but some of the songs on it are excellent, good, solid rockers. Others are so-so, such as the re-do of Heart of the Night.

It's kind of interesting to listen to Horses back to back with Inamorata--they have a similar sound.
Mystic

Postby randall » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:44 pm

When The Coast is Clear is much better than Changing Horses. While I do like both, Changing Horses is way over produced IMHO.
randall

Postby woogie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:42 pm

I really like Changing Horses.I just cant get into Coast,no matter how many times I have played it just dont like it.Paul Cotton is the main man but for me that album is not his best.Firebird is much better imho.
woogie

Postby Dar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:06 pm

firebird is my fave
Dar

Postby ctlegend » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:20 pm

When the Coast is Clear is Pauls 'Masterpiece' It is excellent from start to finish.
The song 'WTCIC' is my all-time favorite song. By the way... our own Jack Sundrud put his stamp on this CD as producer!

Firebird is excellent as well. Rusty contributes on several songs. That gives it more of a Poco feel. This CD will appeal to folks in search of the Poco sound.

Changing Horses is more 80`s sounding, still a strong effort from 'PC' The Man.

Short summary... WTCIC may be one of my top 5 all-time CD`s... Firebird may be in my top 10 and Changing Horses gets some play, but definitely not as much as the other 2.
ctlegend

Postby Cowboy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:28 pm

I love Firebird and like Changing Horses, like Dar tho the earlist seem to have a edge, Paul is great dont get me wrong I think he tries almost to hard now, when he is laid back and comfy he does his best work in my eyes... :idea:

Just my 2 cents

Cowdog Rick 8-)
just an ole cowpoke
Cowboy

Postby MsUp » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:31 pm

I love all of Paul's solo material, his enormous contributions to our Poco and to The Illinois Speed Press. I'm partial to whatever I am listening to at any given time. That being said, 'Changing Horses' was the first solo work, and I was so excited to see it, hear it, and own it, when it came out, loads of gems on that CD (I have several copies, as I was so scared I'd wear down the grooves). 'Firebird' was my all time favorite CD, for so many years (I'm still crazy about it), and it now ties for first place with 'When The Coast Is Clear'. Gads, that's one heck of a CD (the nautical theme, awesome writing, spot-on musicianship throughout, and THAT VOICE). Let's not forget the wonderful production by Jack Sundrud & Peter Van Leeuwen.

Captain Paul is THE BOMB ! :D :D :D :D
MsUp

Postby hank » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:39 pm

I like COAST better, but CH is also a mighty fine cd for the summer time, took me a while to like it, but now it´s one of my personal classics
hank

Postby MartinG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Izmainijis Zirgi = Latvian for "changing horses" ! :D

PS don't have Changing horses, but I think Coast is much better than Firebird
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse ? Bruce Springsteen
MartinG

Next

Return to Poco Discussion