Charlie Harrison

Discuss the band.

Charlie Harrison

Postby Kim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:06 am

Does anyone know what Charlie Harrison is dong these days. Last time I heard from him he was making a CD with Rick Seratte in 2002. Their friendship ended and the album ended up as a Rick Seratte solo album called 'Rock Country' released just recently. Charlie contributed several songs which have been erased on the new version. But what is he doing now? if anyone has any information please let me know?
Kim

Re: Charlie Harrison& More

Postby TonySTL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:56 pm

I was a little curious myself, and though the search didn't turn up anything new on CH, it turned up some Poco content that I had never heard or at least was very interesting.

The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas
April 29, 1979

"Crazy Love," from their "Legend" album, has brought Poco a whole new musical life and Poco's keystones, Paul Cotton and Rusty Young, say they couldn't be happier. "This is our first top 20 hit and our first top 20 album," Paul said, saucing the statement with just a touch of a cynical smile and as he added, "We're an overnight success!" Overnight indeed. Poco has endured 10 years of a variety of personnel changes. But the support and good feelings of loyal fans has endured. Now Poco people will have to make another adjustment. The group, one of the first to amalgamate rock and country, has added two British musicians. Steve Chapman on drums and Charlie Harrison on bass replace George Grantham and Tim Schmit who have left after five years Chapman and Harrison played on the "Legend" LP. Rusty says the British members will add a sound that will bring Poco into the 1980s and Paul firmly backs their inclusion. He sees the new rhythm section as helping make "rock," not country, the group's keynote word. A third new member is Kim Bullard, from Atlanta, on keyboards. "Paul and I decided that we wanted a keyboard," Rusty said, "so Paul and I can play together instead of having to alternate leads. Kim will give us time for other things while we're on stage," he said grinning. "To comb our hair, brush our teeth..." Paul and Rusty give the impression
of being easy-going guys, but they know what they want and why they want it. And one thing they don't want at the moment is to do certain television shows. "The last time we did 'Midnight Special," Rusty said, "they lost the tape that we had approved. We were very unhappy because there's nothing you can do about it by the time you're sitting home watching it on television." He and Paul had personally supervised the complex mixing of the tape, Rusty said, and even paid the union men for their work. Instead, a more basic tape was used for their segment. "What you get," Rusty explained, "is an engineer who's been recording for 40 years and doesn't know the band's technology." The two of them believe, though, that a major direction for rock is television and they think one important and imminent step is the videodisc, a recording that produces both sound and a picture for television sets. "We want to get involved in that right from the beginning for an album," Rusty said. Rusty has come to the forefront of Poco recently, both in singing and composing. The title track of "Legend," a "song about a ghostly horseman, is his composition, based on a true story from his home state of Colorado. . He and Paul would like to do "Legend" as an animated film. "A la 'Lord of the Rings,' " Paul said. » Rusty and Paul made two important policy decisions recently, one before the album and one after. The first, was to hire a producer for the album, rather than doing that job themselves. The second, was not to tour Europe. "We've been together eight years," Rusty said, "and we know about as much about producing as producers. Unless you're a total fool, you catch on to what's going on in the business. Producers certainly make more money than anyone else. But as producer, you're the one who has to answer to the record company about deadlines. We're nice guys, so we tend to deliver whether it's ready or not. This way we can let our producer, Richard Orshoff, do the arguing for us." As far as Europe is concerned, they just canceled a tour because, Paul said, flatly, "We just didn't want to go. You. go through jet lag for a week and you have to get through so many details, going from country to country, that's it's almost like music becomes secondary to the trip." "Besides," Rusty added, "the hotels are terrible."

Above taken from http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/10361698/

And I also found this interesting bio of Paul Korda with some cool Poco and Charlie Harrison content.

http://www.paulkorda.com/biography.htm
TonySTL

Re: Charlie Harrison& More

Postby kroney » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 am

TonySTL wrote:I was a little curious myself, and though the search didn't turn up anything new on CH, it turned up some Poco content that I had never heard or at least was very interesting.

The Salina Journal from Salina, Kansas
April 29, 1979

"Crazy Love," from their "Legend" album, has brought Poco a whole new musical life and Poco's keystones, Paul Cotton and Rusty Young, say they couldn't be happier. "This is our first top 20 hit and our first top 20 album," Paul said, saucing the statement with just a touch of a cynical smile and as he added, "We're an overnight success!" Overnight indeed. Poco has endured 10 years of a variety of personnel changes. But the support and good feelings of loyal fans has endured. Now Poco people will have to make another adjustment. The group, one of the first to amalgamate rock and country, has added two British musicians. Steve Chapman on drums and Charlie Harrison on bass replace George Grantham and Tim Schmit who have left after five years Chapman and Harrison played on the "Legend" LP. Rusty says the British members will add a sound that will bring Poco into the 1980s and Paul firmly backs their inclusion. He sees the new rhythm section as helping make "rock," not country, the group's keynote word. A third new member is Kim Bullard, from Atlanta, on keyboards. "Paul and I decided that we wanted a keyboard," Rusty said, "so Paul and I can play together instead of having to alternate leads. Kim will give us time for other things while we're on stage," he said grinning. "To comb our hair, brush our teeth..." Paul and Rusty give the impression
of being easy-going guys, but they know what they want and why they want it. And one thing they don't want at the moment is to do certain television shows. "The last time we did 'Midnight Special," Rusty said, "they lost the tape that we had approved. We were very unhappy because there's nothing you can do about it by the time you're sitting home watching it on television." He and Paul had personally supervised the complex mixing of the tape, Rusty said, and even paid the union men for their work. Instead, a more basic tape was used for their segment. "What you get," Rusty explained, "is an engineer who's been recording for 40 years and doesn't know the band's technology." The two of them believe, though, that a major direction for rock is television and they think one important and imminent step is the videodisc, a recording that produces both sound and a picture for television sets. "We want to get involved in that right from the beginning for an album," Rusty said. Rusty has come to the forefront of Poco recently, both in singing and composing. The title track of "Legend," a "song about a ghostly horseman, is his composition, based on a true story from his home state of Colorado. . He and Paul would like to do "Legend" as an animated film. "A la 'Lord of the Rings,' " Paul said. » Rusty and Paul made two important policy decisions recently, one before the album and one after. The first, was to hire a producer for the album, rather than doing that job themselves. The second, was not to tour Europe. "We've been together eight years," Rusty said, "and we know about as much about producing as producers. Unless you're a total fool, you catch on to what's going on in the business. Producers certainly make more money than anyone else. But as producer, you're the one who has to answer to the record company about deadlines. We're nice guys, so we tend to deliver whether it's ready or not. This way we can let our producer, Richard Orshoff, do the arguing for us." As far as Europe is concerned, they just canceled a tour because, Paul said, flatly, "We just didn't want to go. You. go through jet lag for a week and you have to get through so many details, going from country to country, that's it's almost like music becomes secondary to the trip." "Besides," Rusty added, "the hotels are terrible."

Above taken from http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/10361698/

And I also found this interesting bio of Paul Korda with some cool Poco and Charlie Harrison content.

http://www.paulkorda.com/biography.htm

Thanks Tony for providing an interesting morning read.
Kev
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Re: Charlie Harrison

Postby BLUESDUDE » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Charlie is currently touring with Lee Roy Parnell

http://leeroyparnell.com/

Lee Roy is touring behind his new album "Midnight Believer"

DL
BLUESDUDE

Return to Poco Discussion