The Sky Kings

Discuss the band.

The Sky Kings

Postby larrypocofan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Released today on itunes is the Four Wheel Drive album that many of us have been waiting for years to purchase. The album was supposed to have been released back in 1992 by RCA Nashville, but circumstances at the time prevented its release. The album, digitally released by Sony, is under the name of The Sky Kings, not Four Wheel Drive. The super group on the album consists of Rusty Young, Patrick Simmons, John Cowan and Bill Lloyd. It is a perfect album. Great songs throughout. Only one complaint. The original album back in 1992 had 11 songs. The 2014 version has 10 songs and is missing "You're Gonna To Get What's Comin'" which is a fine song. I wonder why it was left out.
larrypocofan

Re: The Sky Kings

Postby swandy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Agree totally. Listening to it now. Nice to hear two songs that Poco also recorded - "One Tear At A Time" from Running Horse and "Nothing Less Than Love" from Bareback at Big Sky.
swandy

Postby daysgoneby » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Nice stuff

Have a bootleg from someone a few years ago

Will be nice to have a better quality product.

I also must say I highly prefer this release( 4 wheel drive) to the later Rhino release of sky kinds without Patrick Simmons
daysgoneby

Postby pocojim » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:49 pm

What a great pre-Christmas gift to find this in iTunes! This has been a favorite of mine for over 20 years. I first got a cassette of the recordings from another Poco fan (was it you, Jon?). That version was also just 10 tracks, but 'Bad Memory' was the missing tune. Also, "Old Hat" lacked the a Capella intro. A few years later, Bill Lloyd was kind enough to send me another cassette, with the full 11 songs in much better fidelity. I later dubbed that cassette to CD, and that version was distributed to several on this board. Now we can all have the originals (less one) in great quality.

Since iTunes has no digital booklet for this album, here are the song writing credits:

1. ‘Til The Money’s All Gone (Leo/Lloyd/Cowan)
2. One Tear At A Time (Young)
3. Taking These Blues To The Highway (Simmons)
4. You’re Gonna Get What’s Comin’ (Lloyd/Orrall)
5. I Could Get Used To This (Diamond/Lorber/Lloyd)
6. Nothin’ Less Than Love (Young/Tester)
7. In A Heartbeat (Lloyd/Simmons)
8. Fallen For The Last Time (Simmons)
9. Wichita Way (Cowan/Koller)
10. Bad Memory (Lloyd)
11. Old Hat (Young/Sundrud)

Jim
pocojim

Postby StevenT » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:18 am

Wow. This album has taken on a legendary status similar to the Beach Boys' Smile. I see that Amazon has also posted digital downloads of this LP:

http://www.amazon.com/1992-Sky-Kings/dp/B00QFT4D8K

Now, has anyone happened to find a CD version available for purchase online yet?

This version of "One Tear At A Time" sounds amazing!

Long overdue!
StevenT

Postby bassman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Downloaded from itunes today, first listen and sure sound fine.
bassman

Postby Mystic » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Will it be coming out on CD or will it only be on iTunes?
Mystic

Postby mbradley2000 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:18 am

Someone sent me two bootleg CD's about 14 years ago. One was Sky Kings, and the other was 4 Wheel Drive. One was live. At the end of one of them, it had an acoustic version of "Call it Love". It was recorded live, without an audience, and an intro in another language. Scandinavian maybe? Sounded like a radio gig.It's better than the album version. You can hear Messina and Young sounding amazing on this unplugged version.
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby larrypocofan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:37 am

I also have that version of Call It Love. Great version. I also like it better than the one Poco's been playing over the years. That acoustic version was played by Poco w/ Jim Messina, not with the Sky Kings.
larrypocofan

Postby pocojim » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:30 pm

That 'Call it Love' is from the Dutch radio show Countdown Cafe. It features Rusty, Jimmy and Randy, recorded toward the end of the Reunion tour when they were down to a trio.

Jim
pocojim

Next

Return to Poco Discussion