what are you listening to over here?

Discuss the band.

Re: what are you listening to over here?

Postby crazylover » Sat May 28, 2016 1:39 am

Mission Mountain Wood Band. :mrgreen:
~*Alfie*~
crazylover

Postby brinash » Sat May 28, 2016 1:49 pm

The Wildwood Sessions with Rusty, Paul and Jack. So much to like. I'm also listening to the 2-disc Flying Burrito Brothers at The Palimino I got off Amazon. Not great quality, but better than the bootlegs I've heard before. You can actually make out Clarence White's guitar (he's sitting in), something that isn't easy because his sound is so close to the pedal steel Sneaky Pete is playing.
brinash

Postby pocanuck » Sat May 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Thunder (there's a storm brewing here)
:mrgreen:
Pocanuck
Longing for the warmth of Florida with Consuela by my side
pocanuck

Postby mbradley2000 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Paul Cotton - Changing Horses. Haven't heard for a few years. Forgot how unique it is. Great CD.
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby brinash » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:20 pm

"Turning Point" by John Mayall. It's been a few years since last listen.
brinash

Postby wheland » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:38 am

Some great new cds I just got recently-

Monkees- Good Times. Yes you read that correctly the Monkees (all 3 surviving members participated). It actually includes some tunes originally recorded in part back in the 60's. One has Harry Nillson along with mickey Dolenz on it. another actually includes Davy Jones so all the original members are actually part of the cd. Very well done- a number of songs were written by modern music artists inspired by the Monkees.

Paul Simon - Stranger To Stranger. One of his best solo efforts ever. A nice mix of different sonic effects and genres.

Shawn Colvin ^ Steve Earle- Colvin & Earle. I'm more a fan of Shawn's music but like both artists separately and they combine forces very well indeed. a mix of songs they co-wrote and covers they each picked to perform. Tony Geoggler just saw them live and wrote a very good review of a great show over on FB.

"Friday night saw Steve Earle and Shawn Colvin at the Winery. Good solid show that never felt great. They have a new album and I liked the originals they wrote together especially Come What May and the gospelly Go Down Moses. They each played 3 of their solo songs and Earle did his usual predictable (but real good) 3 cuts: Copperville Road, Galway Girl and Someday which he introduced with a long cool story about when he had just about given up on getting a recording contract and a friend got him a ticket to see Springsteen's Born In The USA tour and three and a half hours later he knew what he had to do and went home and wrote Guitar Town and then he talked about his real dark times when he didn't make a record for four years and how little light got in except it lifted him when Emmylou Harris covered Guitar Town and Shawn Colvin covered Someday...Colvin sang Sonny Came Home, Diamond In the Rough, a highlight, and one other petty song from her own records that I didn't recognize. They sounded good together but didn't do much with their voices other than sing constantly together.
I was a little disappointed in the covers in that they brought nothing new to Ruby Tuesday (maybe check out Melanie's) or Wake Up Little Susie. They did cover that one hit wonder You Were On My Mind from the We Five that I hadn't probably heard since I stopped playing 45s many years ago and man did it sound real good and their first encore was what I correctly guessed to be an early Beatles cut and it's always good to hear one of their songs that wash't over played and they did this one last song which they wrote with Julie Miller that was a beauty called Still Gone and yes I plan on buying their record...An added treat was the opener, Emily Duff, who did a strong short set. Looking a little like the half sister of Michelle Shocked her songs had lingering melodies and sharp lyrics and yes I will pick up some of her music. "

Tony Geoggler
wheland

Postby RedRiverPatrol » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:58 pm

Kahulanui

Hawaiian Swing Band!!!
Dave

Its not the bridges burned that bother me, but the ones that I never crossed. - Look At Me Look At You - Terry Kirkman
RedRiverPatrol

Postby woogie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Bruce Hornsby - greatest Radio Hits.keep coming back to this one - Love it.
woogie

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:03 pm

The Beatles Revolver.
Just finished reading The Beatles 66: The Revolutionary Year by Steve Turner about that pivotal year in Beatles lore and the making of the Revolver album.

Dr.G
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby pocanuck » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Kings of Leon - Walls

I don't like it as much as Come Around Sundown or Because Of The Times but it's
still some good new music.
Pocanuck
Longing for the warmth of Florida with Consuela by my side
pocanuck

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion