Hoedown XIII !!

Discuss the band.

Re: Hoedown XIII !!

Postby fanjack12 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Hope you all get better weather and lot of music in --- Go 'Nuts!
fanjack12

Postby mcdtj » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Would have posted earlier, but we're having too much fun. It has been neat watching how we have all gotten better as musicians over the years--our "hoedown standards" sound really good!!

Weather is gorgeous, and the rest of our usual suspects are here: Thaler, AceinOC and Mrs., Jerry (drummer) and Mrs. Bill, Brad, etc. Nice to be with everyone again.

Grand finale tonight after dinner, then we head out after breakfast tomorrow. It's been great, as usual.
mcdtj

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:33 am

Quinn is funny as hell!

Sometimes hanging out on the front porch with an acoustic is just the best.

The "Ho-ettes" are now dubbed, the "Notorious Ho-etts". We have some serious girl-power. Wendy needs to get a drum kit! JimmyM, that girl needs a decent electronic drum set. Consider it part of her workout. Girl got rhythm!

No. We still don't know how to play "Radar Love", even though we have the same train wreck every year. <sigh>

Internet sucks here. Gotta figure out how to put chords / lyrics / charts up on the projector with out depending on "Ultimate Guitar" or "Chordie". Donna, you are our lighting director and multimedia sweetheart. (And, she is my personal cheerleader. She is so good for my soul!) Donna has the technology. We need a library of PDFs to project, 'cause the internet is lame in Borrego. Let me help!

Some great new faces this year. Musically, Cap'n Larry from Santa Barbara on lap steel.

As always, this party is brought to us by Studiogirl. Caroline is pretty damn awesome. I held my breath for a few weeks wondering if she was taking this on again. Yeah, she did! Thank you, girlfriend. I wish I could repay you for all the shindigs you have brought on year after year. We drive off into the sunset with warm fuzzy feelings all over... again.

I'd love to give a shout out to all the other attendees and participants. But, chances are, I'd leave someone out. I'd hate to do that, so, I just want to say that I hope to see all our Hoedown friends again next year. In particular, I am grateful for Ace, Larry, and Tim who are monsters, coming up with song after song on the fly. Not to mention, Thaler's ever impressive backbone to any song and Gerry on drums. All this talent, along with a great attitude from all around, bring out the best in all of us.
Last edited by Bogeyfire on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby mcdtj » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:15 pm

So we go to Carlsbad from Borrego Springs and run across the Museum of Making Music, which is affiliated with NAMM. What a great museum, if you like to MAKE music. Got to play several Fender, Taylor and Martin guitars. (Even did a Honky Tonk Downstairs duet with a 90 year old gentlemen who lives about 50 miles from us in Ohio.)

Another fun hoedown. Can't tell you how great it is to be with such nice, talented, fun people every spring. You mean the world to me. See you next year.
mcdtj

Postby fanjack12 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback Tim and thanks for being a non-facebooker like me....the risks aren't worth that.....
fanjack12

Postby Quinn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:33 pm

Bogeyfire wrote:Quinn is funny as hell!

Sometimes hanging out on the front porch with an acoustic is just the best.

The "Ho-ettes" are now dubbed, the "Notorious Ho-etts". We have some serious girl-power. Wendy needs to get a drum kit! JimmyM, that girl needs a decent electronic drum set. Consider it part of her workout. Girl got rhythm!

No. We still don't know how to play "Radar Love", even though we have the same train wreck every year. <sigh>

Internet sucks here. Gotta figure out how to put chords / lyrics / charts up on the projector with out depending on "Ultimate Guitar" or "Chordie". Donna, you are our lighting director and multimedia sweetheart. (And, she is my personal cheerleader. She is so good for my soul!) Donna has the technology. We need a library of PDFs to project, 'cause the internet is lame in Borrego. Let me help!

Some great new faces this year. Musically, Cap'n Larry from Santa Barbara on lap steel.

As always, this party is brought to us by Studiogirl. Caroline is pretty damn awesome. I held my breath for a few weeks wondering if she was taking this on again. Yeah, she did! Thank you, girlfriend. I wish I could repay you for all the shindigs you have brought on year after year. We drive off into the sunset with warm fuzzy feelings all over... again.

I'd love to give a shout out to all the other attendees and participants. But, chances are, I'd leave someone out. I'd hate to do that, so, I just want to say that I hope to see all our Hoedown friends again next year. In particular, I am grateful for Ace, Larry, and Tim who are monsters, coming up with song after song on the fly. Not to mention, Thaler's ever impressive backbone to any song and Gerry on drums. All this talent, along with a great attitude from all around, bring out the best in all of us.

I had a great time. When you play as badly as me, you have to be funny.
Quinn

Postby Bogeyfire » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Quinn, I found out a long time ago that you can't compare yourself with the other musicians. We are fortunate to have some monster talent who are actually willing to hang out with the likes of you and me!
:roll:
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby Quinn » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Bogeyfire wrote:Quinn, I found out a long time ago that you can't compare yourself with the other musicians. We are fortunate to have some monster talent who are actually willing to hang out with the likes of you and me!
:roll:

that's right...ain't comparing, just wanna play better next time. hello to your lovely wife.
Quinn

Postby mcdtj » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:54 am

Well, the North Carolina Curse (not you, Quinn), bit me in the butt again. When will I ever learn?

We got stranded in Charlotte last night. Our flight to West Palm Beach was cancelled due to a lack of gate space and weather. We can't get a flight from Charlotte to West Palm until NEXT WEEK, so we are flying to Orlando later today (I hope) and driving home (2.5 hours) from there.

When I was working, I had 4 cancelled flights in a row trying to get out of Charlotte. Until this hoedown, I hadn't booked a flight through there in 20+ years, figuring I was jinxed. Still am, evidently. Never again, though.
Last edited by mcdtj on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcdtj

Postby mcdtj » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:49 am

Our 11:20 am departure was pushed back to 12:30 pm. It just got pushed back again to 2 pm. Curse you, Charlotte airport!!!
mcdtj

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion