Firebird

Discuss the band.

Firebird

Postby Denbo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:36 pm

I put this CD on last weekend as I had not listened to it in a while. This is such a sold CD from start to finish. Not a weak song at all. My only complaint is that I could have done without the remakes of Bad Weather and Ride The Country. Seems like we have heard enough versions. Possibly two more originals instead, or remakes of other Paul Cotton songs like Early Times, Get in the Wind, Midnight Rain or something from Cantamos. Just a thought.

I haven't been able to get my ears around When the Coast is Clear, however. I figure Paul didn't want to do a Firebird 2 but I just don't listen to that CD. Too different for me from someone I have always enjoyed.
Denbo

Re: Firebird

Postby fanjack12 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Have to agree with most of your comments, as I can't get into When the Coast Is Clear either. Just not very good for a Paul Cotton album --like he was trying to do something different and see how it turned out. Now ---I am going to get Firebird out and play it, as it has been a while. Wear my Firebird t -shirt all the time.......
fanjack12

Postby StevenT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:32 pm

About 15 years ago I was able to hear some early versions of most of the Coast Is Clear songs. These early mixes were much more mellow, with far less drum overdubs -- more "nautical", as opposed to "coastal night club", sounding. Very much imagery-evoking in classic Paul Cotton fashion.
I would love for Paul to release an expanded version of the CD with these early mixes!
StevenT

Postby marc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:18 am

I gotta disagree about "Coast." I think that Jack did a really good job of putting together an interesting group of Paul Cotton material and I think that the cd is a lot of fun to listen to.

I heard some of those unfinished demos of Paul's and although I thought that the songs were good, the versions were kind of basic and incomplete as demos usually are.

Maybe try listening with Headphones. It seems to me that when Jack produces music, there are always nice subtle surprises and additions laid in the background that you may not notice but always add to the total sound of the music.

I think that the material on "Firebird" is good but I think that band on that cd sounds a little thin and uninspired. I would have liked to have heard what Jack could have done to make that music more compelling.

I like both cd's, I just think that Jack did a better job in the booth with "Coast" than was done on "Firebird."

Marc-
marc

Postby StevenT » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:38 am

>
> I gotta disagree about "Coast." I think that Jack did a really good job of
> putting together an interesting group of Paul Cotton material.....
>

Actually, I don't believe that anyone was per se asserting to the contrary.
StevenT

Return to Poco Discussion