Poco Milestones: 2017

Discuss the band.

Poco Milestones: 2017

Postby mcdtj » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 am

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the release of the Indian Summer album, and the 45th anniversary of the release of the AGFTK album.

I remember being pleasantly surprised to discover a new Poco album while killing some time at a record store in Columbus, IN on a quiet Friday night in 1977. I had been very stressed at work that week, so having new Poco music made for a nice relaxing start to my weekend.

AGFTK was playing at a party I attended during my junior year in college in 1972. The party was just OK, but Poco's music was great. I went out the next day and purchased my own copy of the album.

Anybody else remember what they were doing when they first heard these two albums?
mcdtj

Re: Poco Milestones: 2017

Postby Jiff » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Ha, AGFTK and Indian Summer were the first two Poco albums I was exposed to. Somehow the AGFTK LP wound up at my parents' house when I lived there. We had plenty of pop 8 tracks before since my mom was in a record club. Us kids wore out The Boxtops' The Letter/Neon Rainbow.

AGFTK was probably one of the first four or five LPs at our house, along with Tea For The Tillerman, Mona Bone Jakon and Quicksilver Untitled. We had Bloomfield, Stills, Kooper's quadrophonic Super Session because we got a quadrophonic amp/decoder system. I also remember well the AGFTK song played on In Concert, '72(?).

Off to college, I hardly bought an album for four years. Graduating in '76 and getting a real job in '77, Indian Summer, released in '77, was one of my first LP purchases. It's one of my favorite Poco albums. I also quickly grabbed the newest Sutherland Bros album, Down To Earth, because a friend exposed me to their Lifeboat album.
Jiff

Postby Denbo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I definitely remember Indian Summer. I bought it at our local album store / head shop, called Pipe Dreams. I wish I knew how much money I dropped there over the years, buying albums.

I bought Indian Summer, came home, fired up my Harden Karden 330c receiver, put it on my Pioneer turntable, and listened to it on my Koss headphones. Good album and pretty solid throughout. What stood out to me was how unhappy Tim looked in the photo. Guess that was because he was leaving for The Eagles.

I had AGFTK already and loved that album. What I miss now is how anxious I was to get home with any new album I bought and look at the pictures, read any liner notes, lyrics, etc. AGFTK had a great set of pictures for every member of the band. Those were the days.
Denbo

Postby greatamericantrains » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:04 pm

I am guessing Timothy didn't yet know he was leaving for the Eagles when that photo was taken. Poco did tour to support Indian Summer in the spring and summer of 1977. I believe "the call" came after that tour was completed.

The Legend book seems to indicate that Indian Summer was a difficult recording experience for the guys.

- Kevin Blair
Chanute, KS
greatamericantrains

Return to Poco Discussion