The Captain

Discuss the band.

The Captain

Postby Tabasco » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 pm

First off, I hope all is well with the Captain, Paul Cotton.
I see his website is no longer up.
I had always wanted to get down to Key West and see his band, but couldn't work it out ... was hoping maybe when I retire.

Does anyone know what's the latest?

edit ... now I see his last shows at Schooner's Wharf were called "goodbye".

I do still hope to see him again on stage one day.

I love all his original songs ... and that cover of Mystic on WTCIC is absolutely genius.
Tabasco

Re: The Captain

Postby mcdtj » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Paul and Caroline moved to Oregon about 4-6 weeks ago.
mcdtj

Postby greatamericantrains » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Recent video posted of PC and Richie in Colorado... https://youtu.be/VqN3h0srZlI
greatamericantrains

Postby fanjack12 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:47 am

Paul does not look good healthwise in this video. Any news available?
fanjack12

Postby bocanut » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 am

I believe that Paul's departure from Key West was before Irma. Lucky Paul!
As we all get older, life and living circumstances change. No need to speculate on why Paul moved. I am sure he had personal reasons.
Playing the guitar next to Richie can make anyone look old as Richie's energy and let's face it, full head of hair, make him look a youthful 70 plus.
Hopefully, 2018 will allow most of the more celebrated members of POCO past to come together and give us a few (or more) 50th year celebrations.
Richie and Paul played 4 shows in Colorado together recently.

Maybe they can get Rusty, Paul, Richie, Timothy and Jimmy to play with the current band (illness probably precludes George and Randy) to celebrate Rusty's extraordinary accomplishment in keeping the legend alive for all these years.
bocanut

Postby wheland » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 am

Paul moved to Oregon to be with family. He indicated at one point it was to help care for a family member.

He was gone well before the hurricane came to Key West.

Dennis
wheland

Postby Tabasco » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad it's all good news, I hope the family member situation is good.

Paul Cotton made such great music. I remember one of my favorite Poco show memories, when I saw them at B.B. Kings not that many years back. When they started the intro for Indian Summer, and the Captain was gettin' into it, lookin' around and saying, "right on, right on" ... it gave me such a rush. He is so great.
Tabasco

Postby Tabasco » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:23 pm

bocanut wrote:Playing the guitar next to Richie can make anyone look old as Richie's energy and let's face it, full head of hair, make him look a youthful 70 plus.
Yah, really, I think Paul looked energetic in that video. Yah, so he's thinned out on top, for sure. I've been bald since my late twenties, so I didn't have to wait for that, heh heh. He looks great like that.
Tabasco

Postby nutsince69 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:38 pm

I had the pleasure to see Paul in Key West a year and a half ago. A great experience. He was well, and his band was excellent. I had my "Indian Summer' t-shirt on, which elicited some comment from him. He played the song and dedicated it to me for wearing the shirt - so kind of him. It was fun to see him perform and visit with him. Both of my daughters have moved to Denver. While visiting them in late August, we were fortunate to learn that Richie and Paul were performing close by in Palmer Lake, CO. My wife and I went to the concert, and it was a memorable evening to see them playing together. Yes, Richie is amazing with his energy and his still remarkable voice. Paul came out after the intermission, and did a solo performance of 'Please Wait for Me', such a beautiful song. We were all "spellbound". Palmer Lake is at 7,300' elevation. My understanding is that Paul was struggling a bit adjusting to the altitude. It was a special evening to see 2 special musicians and 2 special people.
nutsince69

Postby Tabasco » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:42 am

nutsince69 wrote: Palmer Lake

What, no Emerson?
Tabasco

Next

Return to Poco Discussion